Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Picked up my first bottle of Laphroaig 10 year, and holy cow I don't know why I wasn't drinking more Scotch before. Just two days and a couple of glasses later and this may be my favorite liquor ever. Smokey and delicious and :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
One of my friends described Laphroaig 10 as "a forest fire in my mouth."

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I was at BevMo about to buy a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, and the guy there upsold me to Balvenie 14-year-old Caribbean Rum Cask (it was $5 more). I absolutely loved Laphroaig 10, but the guy there said that if I liked the smokiness of Laphraoig, Balvenie was like that but with more vanilla. Should I run back and return it before I open the bottle, or should I give it a shot?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Turns out Balvenie 14 is pretty delicious. I miss the smokiness of Laphroaig a lot, but the vanilla notes are very pronounced, and it goes down real smooth.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Might want to update the OP with what, exactly, a "peaty" whiskey is, since it's not a very common term outside of whiskey tasting.

Also, I picked up some Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Bourbon recently and they're pretty great. Bulleit Rye is pretty drat tasty neat, but what's a good vermouth for a Manhattan?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I really like Bulleit Rye, but it felt somehow thinner than Bulleit Bourbon. It's the first rye I've ever bought, so I dunno if this is just common among ryes in general, but its mouthfeel was much less syrupy than bourbon, and it definitely had less sugar. Still very good, but somehow less substantial, which is why I really like it for mixing but perhaps not as much for drinking straight.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
What's a good absinthe/herbsaint/whatever liquor for a Sazerac? The best Sazerac I ever had was made with herbsaint, but does absinthe or whatever work better? Are there any specific brands I should be looking out for?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
It's a great whiskey, but for the record, it's pronounced "bullet", like the thing that comes out of a gun, not "bull-eh". I made the same mistake myself when I first heard about it, and it was only a lucky Google search for "how do you pronounce bulleit" that kept me from embarrassing myself in front of a more judgmental bartender.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
In my opinion, a Scotch Old Fashioned wouldn't really be doing justice to any of the ingredients. Your average Scotch is a little too strongly flavored, and since they're usually not very sweet, they'd sort of be fighting against the sugar instead of working with it.

I always try to use rye in an Old Fashioned, if I can, but since my rye supply always seems to be mysteriously low, bourbon works fine too.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I just wanna give a shout-out as to how great Templeton Rye is; sweet and spicy without being too overpowering in either dimension.

I also recently got a bottle of Lagavulin 16, but I wasn't quite as blown away by it as a lot of people are. I might just be put off by the price, but it doesn't seem particularly astounding; I like the peat level and the mouthfeel, but I'm not picking up a huge amount of flavor other than that. Maybe I just need to give it a second tasting.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'm drinking another glass of Lagavulin right now, and I'm enjoying it a lot more; it's definitely got more sweetness and body than I picked up on my first tasting. I guess it's just sort of an acquired thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Bought a bottle of Talisker Speakeasy on a whim, which is apparently an exclusive bottling for K&L wines. I realized while I was in line that this is a five-year-old Scotch, but I decided to give it a shot since I liked the Talisker 10 so much (and also because I was already a little bit buzzed).

Yeesh. I've never had a Scotch this young before, but it is quite harsh. What few reviews there are mention that it tastes like a mezcal, and I pretty much agree with them. There's some sweetness on the finish, and the characteristic Talisker pepper is there, but for me it's lacking the body that I'm looking for in a Scotch. At 58.2%, it's pretty much undrinkable straight, but it gains a lot of sippability with a few teaspoons of water. It's definitely interesting, but at $60 for a fifth I just can't justify what tastes to me like essentially a gimmick whiskey.

The good news is that it comes in a cool bottle and instead of a cardboard box they use a cool cloth sack to sell the bottle in, so at least I've got my collectibles.