Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Drinking some Glenlivet 18 y/o after deciding to return to Scotch, I'm finding I like smokier flavours a bit more, are there any whiskeys (not just scotch) that exhibit more of the Islay flavours that aren't stupid $ per bottle? (I'm in Aus btw.)

e: ok, now to find a Laphroaig Quarter Cask and guzzle. Oh god the average for $100au 700ml. :saddowns:

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Tried some of The Yamakazi 12 yesterday at a bar. Gotta get myself a bottle of that ASAP. Was amazing from first to last sip.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Went looking through my local bottle shop and found that they had Black Bottle after having about 2 years where I couldn't find it anywhere in Australia. Snapped it up quick smart. I'm finding it pretty smooth and pretty deep. Definitely punches above its price point.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Trying my first Buffalo Trace, its smell wasn't exactly to my liking but I find that I'm really liking is its finish, really smooth, really enjoyable. Anything similar to this?

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 28, 2013

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

After loving the Buffalo Trace I snagged a bottle of Blanton's. Going to give it a whirl tonight. Did I make a good selection? :ohdear:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

DoctaFun posted:

I love Blanton's, it's probably my favorite bourbon. Wish I had some I could drink here at work but I don't :(. I don't have a glass either. Well and I'd get fired if I drank at work.

Yeah I've had a couple of glasses now and it's a really nice and smooth drink with a rye finish that I'm not used to but is a bit 'peppery' and really nice.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

NightConqueror posted:

I really, really hate you people who can find Lagavulin 16 for that much. My local Costco doesn't carry anything worthwhile.

Lagavulin 16 is $90 here in Australia :smithicide:

Going to go get some Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban tomorrow, hope it lives up to the hype!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I grabbed a bottle of the Ardmore Traditional this week after wanted something a bit different to my usual Talisker and Lagavulin. Has a nice hit of peat at the end but starts off pretty sweet and there isn't really a iodine taste through it at all. Tastes pretty young though and a bit harsh.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Going on a tour of the New World Distillery (http://newworldwhisky.com.au/#/home) today. Who are really new and mainly new experimental type of batches. They do stuff like a ginger beer cask-finished whisky, and get looked upon kind of favourably despite some of their offerings only being aged for 2.5years. So, yeah, interesting day ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Bit of reading on the science of SPACE WHISKY

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2015/09/ardbeg-announces-groundbreaking-space-whisky-results/