Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I'll admit I'm a rookie when it comes to whisk(e)y so I don't really know how to compare and contrast them in technical terms but I'm aiming to change that. I'm a big fan of both Jameson and Crown Royal, could anyone give me some recommendations based on those tastes or tell me what those actual tastes are so I know what to look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but those are both very lacking in the flavour department.
Oh, don't worry about it. Like I said I'm very much a rookie when it comes to whisky. Only turned 21 about a year ago but whisky has been my drink of choice since I was around 16 so I figured I owed it to myself to experiment a bit more rather than just buying a bottle of Jameson 4-5 times a year. My understanding was that Jameson was more or less a mid level whisky, not really outstanding in any way but affordable, easily available and well enough made that it didn't taste like loving paint thinner (looking at you, Jack Daniels). So if I say or suggest something that makes it seem like I don't know poo poo or have poor taste you're totally fine in assuming that is actually the case. I'm here as an ignorant student before masters, or at the very least dilettantes.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

How do you feel about Johnny Black?
I know I've had it before but I can't quite recall the flavor. I do seem to remember enjoying it though.

So the general vibe I'm getting is that I should give the Glenmorangie line a try to start with? Seems good to me. I'm a poor student ATM so I won't be going out and buying the whole thing at once but looking at their website the Quinta Ruban sounds really, really nice so I'll probably start out with that. Now to find somewhere that stocks it...

Edit:

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

enjoying an old overholt manhattan

Had my first ever Manhattan a few months ago while at a nice restaurant in Washington D.C. seemed a bit expensive for a single drink at $15 but after my first sip I instantly stopped regretting it. Wish I could remember what they used in it because drat that was a fine cocktail. I did catch some flak though because apparently it was what my grandmother used to drink. Taste in drinks runs in the family, I guess?