Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
So I picked up a bottle of Highland Park the day before Thanksgiving based on reading this thread. I cracked it open Thanksgiving Day and sweet jebus is it glorious (especially for the price). It's changed my outlook on how I have been going about my drinking of Scotch.

I've been drinking Scotch for a while, but stayed with the same 3-4 brands and never really branched out (Speyburn, Talisker, Lagavulin, Johhny Walker if I am in the mood for blended). I guess it is time to get serious and start to explore what is out there. Same goes for Bourbon and Rye too I suppose, since I don't just stick to Scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Having only had Evan Williams for bourbon, anything special to note when drinking, or just don't worry about the higher proof?

If you are using it for mixing I wouldn't worry about it, other than you are going to get drunk faster. WT 101 is one of my favorites for mixing. It's not a bad sipper for the price, other than it might be spicier than some are used to. If you are sipping and are used to drinking bourbon neat the extra kick might be a bit of a shock.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
loving hell, the store down the street from me doesn't have a selection that nice. What the poo poo.

*edit* Sweet jesus a bottle with its own chair.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2012

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Any recommendations for a good starter rye? I've normally had bourbon, but I've heard enough good stuff about rye that I want to give it a shot.

Rittehouse is good. Old Overholt is pretty tasty, especially for the price.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Mega Boris posted:

This past week I saw a bottle of 15 yr PVW on the shelf of a local liquor store for $300. Next to it were two bottles of Stagg and one of William Larue Weller at the normal price of $70 a bottle. Just shows you the effect of the hype.

That's plain silly for the PVW 15. At least those releases make it to the shelf where you are at. Every place I know has a drawing, but at leats they don't gouge you on the prices.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

OSheaman posted:

Speaking of bourbon, and I know this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any sub-$25 recommendations? I am going out for a fancy dinner on the 24th and want to send a bottle of bourbon back to the kitchen as a "Merry Christmas" gift. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! (assume, for the sake of the stereotype, that whatever I send them will mostly be drunk neat or with small alterations).

I'm a fan of the Weller line (107 proof and the 12 year) as well as Evan Williams Single Barrel. Although Weller 12 is actually mid 30's around here so only worth buying when I go out of state.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 22, 2012

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Picked up some rittenhouse today. Not really that big of a fan. It's got a lot of flavor, and I dig the 100 proof bottling but it seems to have a sweeter backbone than the Templeton and Bulleit (rye) I'm comparing it to. So far, my fav has been the Bulleit. Any recommendations on a big, dry, spicy/peppery rye to try next? They have a bottle of Willett single barrel at local liquor store and I've liked their bourbons. Is that worth trying? Trying to hunt down a bottle of one of the Old Potrero offerings.

Try some Whistle pig or Wild Turkey 101 Rye(if you can find it. Stay away from the WT 81 proof Rye it is horrible compared to it.

My personal favorite is the Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond you don't care for. Odd thing is i didn't like my first two tastings, went back about 2 months later and I loveed it. Now every bottle I buy i make a couple of Manhattan's with it, then let it sit for a few weeks and it's perfect. It is probably all in my head, but I'll keep my superstitious ways with rittenhouse until it no longer works.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Glottis posted:

I picked up some Weller 12 the other day based on recommendations I've seen around and I think it definitely lives up to the hype. Excellent flavor and smoothness for the price. Makes me want to set up another blind whiskey tasting with some people.

Weller 12 is one of my favorites. Kind of a PITA to find around here sometimes unless you want to pay mig $30's for it. I always keep it a couple bottles handy.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

Holy cow. Looks like Stitzel-Weller is going to be making bourbon again

Any idea what this'll do to the price of Pappy? In my opinion it's such a cult item now that people are willing to pay extravagant sums just because of the name on it. I mean, more and more of it now is just Buffalo Trace. Either way, this is pretty cool news.

Nor sure if it will do anything about the price of Pappy. Pappy probably won't change back to using Stitzel-Weller juice, and knowing Diaego they will engineer, improve, and make the distillery so much more effecient that it won't be the same as the old stuff anyway. I wish them well, and I'm hoping for the best. Stitzel-Weller made some of my favorites but that juice is probably gone forever.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Bunk Rogers posted:

Update on this.

Its loving great.

I must have missed your previous post. They do claim it is Stitzel-Weller juice from the last year of production. I suppose it could be "Pappy" but who knows. I have't tried it yet, but I do plan on it. I'm a huge fan of wheated bourbon and it is on my list. Do you have any tasting notes you care to share?

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'm no expert but it tastes of caramel. I convinced my wife and her friends to take a couple sips, both of whom really don't like bourbon and they thought it was wonderful and smooth. My previous favorite bourbon was Blanton's with then lesser pappy coming in a bit behind and this absolutely smoked both of those.

Thank you, I've talked to a few people whose first comment was caramel regarding their first tatse of Presidential Select. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 22, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

swatjr posted:

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new unaged jack Daniels rye.

I am kind of interested I'm new to whiskeys so i am trying a bunch of different types.

The JD unaged rye is pretty terrible. It's top of the terrible list of all the unaged whisky i've tried. It is the first unaged rye i have ever tried however. But I'll take just about every other unaged whisky I've ever had over it before i'll ever drink it again.

Full disclosure: I'm kind of hillbilly so i've grown fond of the family recipe, though it usually gets aged a bit before I get into it anyway.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

ChickenArise posted:

I don't know the usual retail, but over $50 is almost guaranteed. $100 is probably too high, though. I had a little of it last night and it's some really nice rye with a lot of nice complexity. The Thomas Handy I had (friend just got a bunch of spirits as a gift), on the other hand, was an incredible punch in the face of RYE and RYE BREAD.

$100 is way too high for Whistle Pig. Highest I've seen around here is a penny under $70.

Speaking of the Thomas H Handy, I passed up on a bottle of it. I just can't bring myself to pay $69 for what seems to me is uncut Sazerac 6yr, which costs almost 1/3 of the price. I haven't tasted it yet though, it could be the best rye out there and i'm missing out.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 27, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Speaking of which, I just recently had a few fingers out of the bottom of a bottle of Evan Williams 1783 that tasted a lot more fusel-ish than the rest of the bottle. Any idea what the cause of this could be? I've never seen such a change just from getting near the bottom.

Depends on how long the bottle has been that low. Oxidization can do some funky stuff to your favorite bottle of spirits. Once I get near the bottom I make it a point to polish it off or move it to a smaller bottle.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
Compass Box puts out some very nice expressions. I've only tried a few, but liked them all so far. I wasn't a fan of many blends until i started trying their expressions. I'll be hitting up Go Whiskey Weekend later this month and their stuff is near the top of my list to try when it comes to Scotch.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

I have not had Great King Street since Whiskyfest SF, but I love Asyla and perhaps Hedonism even more. Hedonism being 100% grain whiskies is as close as we're going to get to a craft Scottish bourbon. It's deliciously cake-like and creamy on top of traditional bourbon-esque notes.

I'm really looking forward to trying out Hedonism. I've heard from a few folks who said something along the lines of "Scottish Bourbon". I've been on a bourbon kick lately so it sounds right up my alley.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

derp posted:

I got a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel today, I couldn't remember if that was the EW everyone was saying was a great value for the low cost, but I hope so. Here is a pic of it with the rest of my modest whisky collection.

EW single barrel is a great value bourbon. Their small batch is pretty good as well if you can find it. Oddly enough I have a hard time finding the small batch where I am, but the single barrel is all over everywhere.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

PST posted:

Having mentioned at my wine merchants that I wasn't much of a fan of blends they brought out a blend and asked me to try it. The Spice Tree (by Compass Box Whisky Co.) was simply superb. It's not cheap, running at about the same price here (UK) as a 10 year old good Malt (£37/$60) but is well worth a try. They also do a very peaty whisky which rivals Ardburg called, appropriately Peat Monster.

I love their Peat Monster. If you like peaty scotch, it ranks right up there as a good one. Compass Box has shown how good blends can really be.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 9, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Same here. I went to maybe seven stores looking for their small batch, couldn't find it at all. 2 or 3 of them had the single barrel, and now a few months later everyone has special sales on the single barrel, but still no small batch. I guess maybe the single barrel just wasn't moving at $Woodford. I wonder why.

I've actually never found any small batch in state(MA), I always buy it out of state when traveling. As for single barrell being on sale, it could be a distributor deal, who knows. Been a while since I've seen it on sale around here.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Around here I can't find single barrel easily or reliably but small batch is plentiful and cheap.I really should try them side by side.

Feast or famine for bourbon lovers it seems. I really wish retailers would carry the entire progression of certain expressions when it comes to bourbon. I know such decisions are pretty much based on profit/space etc. Such a pain in the rear end though when I walk into a place and see a brand I like and they carry everything but the one expresison I'm looking for. For example, it's such a pain in the rear end to find Weller 12 year around here, and when you do find it it's close to $35(WTF?). But, if you are looking for Weller Antique or Special Reserve you can stop in any liquor store and find it. I have the same problem with Ancient Ancient Age and Very Special Old Fitzgerald.

This is why when I'm anywhere near a good liquor store when I'm out of state, I'll go out of my way to get there and load up my trunk with whatever I can afford that is hard to find. My two favorite places for whisky when I travel is Binny's and The Party Source. I saw bright lights and heard angels singing when I first went into TPS, and walked out with 3 cases of bourbon and scotch.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

Asia is sucking the booze world dry.

Makes sense for a brand like Maker's to do this instead of raising prices by a couple bucks. Not a cult favorite anymore, it's a supermarket bourbon that needs to appeal to the bargain shopper. If the price tag is higher than Four Roses, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, etc. people will just buy those instead... There's too many choices at that $20 pricepoint. These shoppers aren't going to check the proof, they just know everyone drinks Maker's Mark.

Higher-end stuff will likely not be affected by dilution, but just receive price bumps. Perhaps some mid-range bourbons will lose their age statements.

We'll see if the decision stands. Also the whole "we are doing it because it's scarce" excuse seems like an outright lie. I've never been in a store, in any state, that was out of or even low on Makers. In addition, I thought they were in the process of expanding, or were going to be expanding soon. If that is true, then I think this whole thing is going to hurt the brand as it seems a bit short sighted. The problem would/should/is going to be a short term issue, if expansion is in process. This is especially troubeling as Maker's has had a message of not compromising or changing their product for gods only knows how long. Does anyone believe they will go back to the original proof once production ramps up? I don't.

Also for a bit of funny:

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/de...hiskey-in-2004/

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

They've already said this is a permanent change and they won't change it back.

"Rob Samuels, chief operating officer and grandson of Maker's Mark Founder Bill Samuels, Sr., said this is a permanent decision that won’t be reversed when demand for bourbon slows down." source

Then their reason for the change doesn't seem accurate. Mr. Samuels might ought to remember what his father said:

"The best advice Pappy ever gave my father", Bill (Samuels Jr.) said, "Was to make a premium product, and to keep it in short supply. I can thank your grandfather for that as long as I live."

But Always Fine Bourbon

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 13, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

wormil posted:

:ughh: I've never heard of Jesse James Dupree and this makes me glad. This bourbon should be made in Wisconsin it oozes so much cheese.

Read and be amused.

The taste is as bad as the cheese they are offering on their website and label. My favorite parts is how they emphazise how they exceed the minimum limit of aging to be called bourbon.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 13, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

THE MACHO MAN posted:

What are some other good bourbons at that price point? Bulliet is my other whiskey. Wild Turkey 101 if I feel cheap (that big bottle is a goddamned steal at that price). I've tried Four Roses a few times and didn't think it was anything that great. EW is pretty good. Any other notable ones to try?

Weller Antique 107 proof , Weller 12 year, Old Grand Dad 114 proof, Ancient, Ancient Age 10 year, Elijah Craig 12 year, Old forester Signature, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Evan Williams small batch.

These are all Bourbons I can enjoy at the same price point or a bit below. There are many others but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 13, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Thanks! I got into Grand Dad as a cheap whiskey on a bachelor party a few months ago. It's actually surprisingly good for the price.

More about Makers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2013/02/14/makers-mark/?partner=yahootix

The Bottled in Bond version of OGD is a great inexpensive bourbon. One of my favorites for mixing with the various soda's, and I'll even take it over Jack Daniels and Crown Royal if I want something served neat and my choices are limited.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I do drink Whisky and Whiskey from time to time. I really like peaty scotches like Lagavulin and Laphroig. (My Dad also has a bottle of blended that was aged 40 years). I also enjoy Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Since I live in Canada, thinking about trying out some Canadian Whisky. Any recommendations?

If you can find them try Alberta Springs (10yr), Forty Creek, and Wiser's.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Jetfire posted:

I'd personally recommend avoiding Wiser's unless you start at Small Batch or better. Special Blend and De Luxe are bland or uninteresting rail quality.

I should had been more specific when menitoning wiser's. I have only ever had the Legacy.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

A bit of whiskey discussion broke out in the Justified thread, and someone mentioned Black Maple Hill small batch as being pretty good. I don't recall it being mentioned in this thread off hand. Anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth seeking out?

I have had a few samples and enjoyed them. Some folks, while they like it, don't like the fact that it is sourced from undisclosed distillers. It can be inconsistent, and that is valid complaint. I haven't had enough to say I'd go out of my way to track it down, or pay the premium that is being asked for it because it is such a limited release.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

They source most of their bourbon from Heaven Hill, but may also blend bourbons from multiple distilleries.

It's never been confirmed, but it is assumed since KBD (The company that sources the juice for BMH) is pretty much across the road from Heaven Hill. CVI (The company that owns the Black Mapel Hill label) even put out a notice to their distributors a few years back trying to dispell the HH rumors. It stated they have no connection and that they have never been associated with Heaven Hill. However, it was cleverly worded, they didn't actually deny that there was juice from Heaven Hill in BMH whiskey.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 16, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Glottis posted:

I ordered whisky at a bar for the first time ever and decided to try something different-- ended up with the Suntory Yamazaki 12. I really liked it. Do other Japanese whiskys compare well to it? It seems like a good deal at $50.

I've only tried a few whisky offerings from Japan. I've had the Suntory Yamazaki 12, and 18 as well as the Suntory Hakushu 12. The Yamazaki 12 was good and tasty, the 18 was good as well, but i'm not sure if it was twice as good, since it costs twice what the 12 does. I also enjoyed the Hakushi 12. To me, the Yamazaki had more citrus and sweetness, while the Hakushi had more earth and smoke. Also. the Hakushi reminded me a bit of the bread my my dad makes on his Primo grill. :iiam:

My favorite so far however has been Nikka Yoichi 12, little bit of fruit, smoke, and peat, all in the perfect amounts. Last time I found a bottle it lasted all of 3 weeks, but in my defense I was sharing it with a friend or three.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
Maker's reversed their decision, they are now going back to botteling at 90% ABV :smug:. Maybe some day we will find out if the Samuel's were really behind the decision or if it was the Beam Inc. bean counters. I'm thinking the Sameul's were a bit :smugbert: when Beam Inc. came back to them and said the bean counters were wrong and they need to stop making the 42% ABV and go back to producing the 45% ABV.

Now the collectors are going to go have to buy up all the 42% ABV and drink up all the 45% ABV they already bought. :lol:

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 17, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Hypnolobster posted:

I owe somebody a bottle of scotch, but I'm in Ohio which is a terrible place for whisky. My standard is HP 12, but that's not terribly exciting. How well does buying online work? I'm going for something in the $75ish range. The guy likes scotch, has enjoyed Highland Park and Laphroaig, so he's not afraid of lots of flavor or peat.

Does it have to be Scotch? Maybe you can surprise him with a Japanese whisky instead? If not, since he likes Laphroaig, maybe get him something a little different. Something like the Quarter Cask or the Triple Wood, both by Laphroaig. If you want to give him something he may not think of trying maybe consider Compass Box Flaming Heart, it is a blend but it is something he might appreciate.

NightConqueror posted:

Where in Ohio do you live? The Party Source operates just outside of Cinncinnati and has an enormous selection. They also ship, but I don't know what their shipping costs are.

TPS is one of my favorite stores to visit when I'm traveling out their way. It's worth the trip from Cincinnati for sure.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Base Emitter posted:

Final total: expensive liquor.

Those prices are seriously out of whack. The tax sounds insane.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Troll Bridgington posted:

I'm not a huge bourbon fan, but I do enjoy Buffalo Trace quite a bit. You really cant beat it at that price point, I don't think.

I like BT's bourbon. They are my favorite distillery. They make more brands of bourbon that i like than probably any 3 or 4 distilleries combined. I also like the fact that they keep trying to innovate. Their Experimental Collection is always fun to try out. There have been some good ones and some nasty ones, but the fact that they let us try them is just great.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 19, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Oakland Martini posted:

Speaking of Wild Turkey, has anyone seen the 101 proof rye in stores recently? Seems like they've switched to 81 proof permanently. The 101 rye was my go to spirit for years; at $19.99 for 750ml it was a fantastic deal, and it won a lot of accolades in blind tastings against much higher-priced ryes. I'm not nearly as much a fan of the 81.

Edit: Rare breer is always great though, that's one of my favorite bourbons at any price.

Edit 2: Their website seems to confirm the switch to 81-proof rye, but also has made me aware of a 12-year old, 101-proof expression. I've never seen that anywhere. Anyone have experience with it?

The 101 has been pretty much gobbled up. I see the occasional "dusty" every now and then, but not often. I really think they ruined their rye when they reduced it to 81.

It is my understanding that the age statment (8 & 12) bourbon's are all for the overseas market, I could be wrong though. I have never seen one in the wild, and every shop I've asked about says their distributor doensn't carry it.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 21, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

derp posted:

I had a glass of highland park after drinking only bourbons for a few weeks, and drat is it smokey, I somehow never noticed just how smokey for the first half of the bottle. I think I enjoy it a lot more now, still my favorite whisk(e)y so far.

Highland Park 15 is one of the scotches I usually go to first after I need a break from bourbon. I love the smokeyness.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 21, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Well, it was in the fancy display case that they probably don't ever expect anyone to buy from.

I never understood that. I see that in non-liquor stores all the time. I wonder how much of the product in a cage a place like Albertson's actually sells. I know I've never bothered, seems like it would take half an hour for someone to track down the manager who is off hiding somewhere watching porn.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Another reason Whisky tends to be more expensive than Bourbon is the cost of the Barrels. It's unusual for Whisky to be made in new barrels, they tend to be used Bourbon barrels or Sherry Casks. With the fact that some Whisky's will matured in several different barrels of the course of it's lifetime all adds to the costs of manufacture.

You have to buy a new barrel every time for Bourbon, otherwise it can not be called Bourbon. New barrels are generally more expensive than used. Since most whisky producers buy used barrels, and barrels can and are re-used, barrels are not the reason for the higher cost when it comes to good Scotch.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Edit: I've heard good things about rye whiskey and bourbon--and looking back, I remember that once I figured out how to drink it, I really enjoyed Jack Daniels. So I'll probably get some Woodford Reserve or Bulleit Rye and stop trying to gently caress around with Scotch, at least in this price range.

You will probably find more bang for your buck with bourbon & rye whisky. So it is a bit easier to get into vs scotch. I just spent the last 2 days trying as much whisky as I could manage at Go Whisk(e)y Weekend in Massachusetts. I tasted a lot of things that suprised me among the bourbon and rye's that were available and some amazingly delicious scotch (Springbank 21) as well. I purchased quite a bit more bourbon than scotch however, as I've been on a bourbon kick lately. If you can, taste as many different things as possible. Try and go to tastings if there are any near you (One every Wednesday near where I work). Definitely try the different types of American whisky. Check out wheated bourbon's, high rye bourbons and even straight rye's and wheat whisky if you can. Ignore age statements for now, it is too easy to get caught up in them. Besides, there is whisky out there that tastes a lot older than it is, and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

The whisk(e)y industry in general is, but yeah Compass Box is full of awesome. :) It's great that you can just walk up and talk to Jim Rutledge, John Glaser, Bill Lumsden, the Van Winkles, etc. at all the various whisky expos. And they actually talk to you rather than talk at you.

It is refreshing how approachable the folks in the indistry are. I was at a whisky event this past weekend where a lot of current and former head distillers and master blenders were and everyone from John Glasser & Ian McCallum to Chip Tate & Gable Erenzo were awesome. They all answered my silly rear end questions and put up with my :allears: