Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
I've just returned from a week in the Scottish highlands.

I only managed to fit in 1 distillery tour which was the Dalwhinnie, because it wasn't too far from where we were staying. I've drank it before, about 16 years ago but it isn't a favourite of mine.

I did manage to fit in a bottle of Tomatin and a bottle of Big Peat.

The Big Peat is a blend of Islay malts, supposedly to give a concentrated smoky, peaty flavour. It smells better than it tastes. It doesn't quite measure up to the peatiness of a Lagavulin or even a Talisker but was nice for a blended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

Slash posted:

How was the distillery tour?

It was very good. There were a group of 6 or 7 indian (from the sub continent) people that were asking very specific questions about how the whisky was made. They were asking about amounts, percentages and pretty much every detail of the whole process. The guide was able to answer everything they threw at her.

I get the feeling there is going to be an Indian whisky distillery opened up in the next few years.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

That Works posted:

For a cheap bottle I find the Tomatin to be pretty nice, especially because I do not enjoy a lot of peat.

Had a friend over this weekend who ordered us a round of Gentleman Jack at the bar and I've got to say I quite enjoyed it. It has an interesting profile and some flavors in there that I can't quite pin down, almost a slight mint vibe going that was pretty pleasant.

We had an anniversary party this weekend and were left with Redbreast 12, Auchentoshan, Angels Envy and a Balvenie 18 as gifts. I am in good booze for a while :dance:

I did the Auchentoshan distillery tour earlier this year, it is near where my family are from in Scotland.

I prefer a peatier whisky, pretty much any Islay malt or Talisker. Weirdly, my favourite whisky is the 18 yo Glenlivet. I find it covers all the bases without being overpowering in one area.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

Nice one!

There might be another coming soon then.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
At home, I will put in a small ice cube. This means when I have my first sip, it is full strength, you get hit with the full flavour and experience but ever so gradually the ice melts which lightens the flavour, opens it up and makes it easier to enjoy.

I tend not to drink whisky when I am out.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, um, I'm running a bourbon tasting event tomorrow evening, and I am um, feeling woefully unprepared? Do you guys have any advice on how to run it, and what tasting notes I should be saying? (For reference, the bourbons are bookers, blantons and bulleit 10 year)

If you drink Bourbon regularly your palate should be adequately prepared to taste, appreciate and describe what you are imbibing. If you haven't drank much Bourbon but are used to drinking another complex spirit (Scotch, Brandy, etc...) you should still be more than capable or translating what you experience into words. If you drink wine or craft beers you should have the range of taste experience and vocabulary to be able to sound competent with general terms like; fruity, hoppy, light but also be able to delve deeper into descriptive terms such as; blackberry, honey, molasses. Just to make you aware, there is no such thing as an incorrect descriptive term, tasting is very personal, an inexperienced drinker can sometimes bring something to the table that an expert has missed.

Take small sips, try and get it around your mouth without it looking like you are using mouthwash. Warm it in your mouth (personal preference, sometimes professional preference) and think about where you taste it first; front of the mouth, back, roof, throat. I prefer some whiskies because they hit the front of my mouth and dislike others because they stick to the roof of my mouth.

There are tasting charts that can help you start with basic descriptive terms then lead you into the more complex terms, by all means have a look at one of these, they can help you come up with terms you may never have thought of but it can also restrict your thinking into pigeon-holing your tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

First Time Caller posted:

Second favorite new scotch. This poo poo is literally bananas.

I like the sound of that, going to get one and give it a try.