Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Anything sorta similar to Nikka Coffey Malt? I'm pretty new to whisky but I looked around and settled on picking up a bottle of this, and it really impressed me with the rich, smooth, and sweet package it delivers. Price point kinda pushes it a little for me. Only other tries I've had (in a non-mixed bar drink) were From the Barrel and... Bulleit? Bourbon. The latter were enjoyable but not quuuite to what I'm looking for in a drink.

e: Might want to add I'm fine with leaning towards any one of those three aspects if whatever whisky hits it well. Not just looking to get the same bottle again, tho I can see it may read that way.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Got to try the Nikka Pure Malt. There much else that hits the same notes? It was just sorta unashamedly malty and it was great. Not averse to getting a bottle, but a cheaper but similar enough alternative is fine with me.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I know LL/GK is what you guys are raving about but I've found a couple LL/GH. Same ballpark or nah?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Nikka makes a gin which is really something else. Very overtly citrusy and horrendously drinkable straight, let alone mixed. I've tried a bunch thanks to gin-inclined friends, and while I've liked a lot of em, Nikka is the only one I've bothered buying for my own supply.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

Imagine an 18 year-old Amrut. It would probably be dark mahogany and taste like molasses. Hmm.

?????????????????????? this is a problem??????

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

In addition to what the others are saying, you could just let it sit for a bit to let some of the alcohol to begin to evaporate, and/or dilute it with water. Both'll really let the whisky settle given time/volume.

Mind, I go for peated in a glencairn and looove getting a close deep smell when first poured so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Bourbon and scotch are distinct grain spirits and imo lateral comparisons between the two seem a little bit like apples and oranges.

e: or maybe like, pomelos to mandarins

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 6, 2021