Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

How does the Eagle Rare 17 year compare to the 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Is it normal for Glenfiddich 12 year to taste like an American whiskey? I am just getting into Scotch, and the Glenfiddich I started with I am instantly liking due to resemblance to American whiskies.

And if anyone happens to see Slaughter House whiskey any place, give it a try. It's 9 year aged whiskey finished in wine casks. It has a bite at the start, and then gradually moves to a nice sweetness.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

If your in Arizona or California and want to try something different, give Del Bac whiskies from Hamilton Distillers a try. The unsmoked classic is makes for a great sipping whiskey and the mesquite Dorado is really unique.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Jahoodie posted:

I've seen the regular Buffalo Trace options on the shelf for $30-32.... not worth it at all at that price, as you can get more interesting stuff around there.

Any recommendations on sub-$40 bourbons? Haven't seen anything new and interesting for awhile when casually browsing (NJ).

Old Grand Dad bonded is suppose to be pretty good.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

ChickenArise posted:

FWIW I had a really good black label variant of some sort that was only availoable at the duty free shops and it was definitely better than the original. I'm still not sure it was worth the money.

Might be the Double Black.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Looking for some suggestions for ryes. Some that I have had before and liked are:

Bulleit
Highspire
Knob Creek
Michters
Old Overholt
Rittenhouse
Wild Turkey

Also: How does the Crown Royal Rye compare to American ryes? I know it was flying off of the shelf this past Christmas, but am curious if the hype for it was justified, at least compared to ones from the likes of Bulleit, Rittenhouse, and Wild Turkey.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 1, 2016

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

For anyone who likes a lot of oak and a peat finish, Bastille 1789 might be worth checking out. It sweetens up a little between the oak start and the peat finish.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

wormil posted:

Love a good tequila but haven't bought any in years. Sounds like prices shot up.

Decent mid-shelf tequilas cost about the same as a lot of American whiskies. Centenario, Milagro, Corralejo, El Major are good buys.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

spankmeister posted:

What's the story behind that? Who did they steal the logo from?

There was a post in a bartender thread a little while back that went a bit more in depth about it.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

kidsafe posted:

Props to Jack Daniels for incredible business tactics two centuries ago.

Two centuries ago? They are still doing it now with things like the Sinatra.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I'm a big fan of scotch, especially islay malts, but lately I've been on a bourbon kick. I had some Wild Turkey 101 last month, shared a bottle of Maker's Mark with a friend a couple weeks ago, and today I went full on "gently caress it" because I haven't had one in at least a little while, and got a good ol' fifth of Jim Beam.

I love Kentucky Bourbon and I cannot lie.

Absolute loving truth.

Give Wild Turkey 81 a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

If you like straight whiskey more than bourbon, Wild Turkey 81 is nice as its more plain whiskey than it is bourbon, at least by my tastes.