Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I really enjoy having a bottle of scotch on hand, and I think that the ones I enjoy the most have very strong, distinct flavors. I liked the smokey flavors out of Nikka whisky, and I thought that the really peaty flavor of Laphroig was enjoyable. Any other recommendations for powerful, specific flavors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

dphi posted:

Going out to a restaurant with a pretty extensive whiskey menu tonight for my birthday. Prices are on the high side, but is there anything I should consider treating myself to a pour of? I lean towards ryes and sweeter/spicier bourbons, but mostly just looking for an excuse to try something I wouldn't otherwise.

Here's a page from their menu for reference:

Ha, I live not too far from there. Appreciate the selection, but the copy on their menus if pretty cringeworthy

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I have a friend going to Japan soon, what whisky should I ask him to pick up for me that's good and not readily available in the US?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Yoichi Single Malt recently and have really been enjoying it. I dig the smokiness of Nikka's stuff, but I don't know what other distilleries have a similar taste/process, what's something I could get stateside that would scratch that itch?