Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Above Our Own posted:

If you like peat and a strong flavor profile, Ardbeg Uigeadail is like drinking pure smoke. Heavy peat and smoke with a light hint of fruit settling in after.

Caol Ila will deliver a faceful of smoke and sea-spray too. Whereas Lagavullan 16-yo was one of the spiciest and richest drops I've had a chance to try. Still smoky, but less aggressive than the Caol Ila can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

And as a matter of interest, here's a full-sized bottle on Masters of Malt (a UK-based retailer), priced at £144.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/hiram-walker-and-sons/canadian-club-6-year-old-whisky-1964/?srh=1

I've tried a miniature of Highland Park 12-Year-old that a non-Scotch drinker had owned for over a decade. Some of the colour had fallen out of it, but it still tasted okay.

I still have a miniature of Tasmania whiskey purchased in the year 2000. I probably should get around to trying that some time soon.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

The 2000-era miniature of this: does indeed still tatste like whiskey. (And yes, it had a little sweeter entry than I was expecting)

But all things considered , (Plastic bottle, slight ullage, stored in a glass cabinet for 14 years) it's not bad.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

So long as it meets these requirments, it's Bourbon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey#Legal_requirements

My budget mixer, Cougar (an Australian/New Zealand-only export brand) is distilled in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Not really one for sipping neat, but makes for a decent cocktail.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

electricsugar posted:

I love Japanese whiskey. The last one I tried was Yamazaki 12

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yamazaki-12-year-old-whisky/

I really enjoyed it. Smooth, rich, full of flavour. Reminded me of a nice bourbon.

Agreed. I haven't had it in years, as it's sinfully expensive, but it was delicious.

On an unrelated note, invested in some Johnnie Walker Double Black today. Really enjoying it, doubly so since the last Black Label I had seemed a little one-note.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Wheras in Kiwiland, it's excellent value, being only NZ$5 (US$3.90) more per bottle than the Black Label. The Gold Label is nearly three times more expensive, and is actually more expensive than Lagavulin 16.

I've never really understood the pricing differences down here, apart from one rule of thumb. If a single malt is suddenly half it's usual price, avoid it. It will have been shipped first to India, sat on the docks in bakingly hot containers for a few months, then re-shipped in New Zealand. Enjoy!

I'm happy with my purchase.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

A moment of weakness and a credit card led to me adding a bottle of Black Grouse to the shelf of mid-priced booze. Considering the bargain-basement price tag, it's a serious contender for best value-for-money Whisky I've tried recently.

I am thinking I need to grab something non-peated next time I have no fiscal willpower.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Took the opportunity to go spend some (Slightly Pre-)Birthday money today:

Technically, I shouldn't open it for a few more days, but... I probably will.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Oh my, that even looks tasty! Be sure to tell us how it is. Oh, and pre-emptively happy birthday!

And it's proving to be just as good as it looks. Light, toffee/creme brulee nose, soft and lightly spicy o n the tongue. Hints of mango, almost a honied aftertaste. Very nice, and a massive departure from the smoke and peat bombs I've been drinking recently.

This one will get portioned out in very small drams, methinks.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

ChickenArise posted:

I'm jealous of that Glendronach. I've wanted a bottle of even their regular stuff for a while because it sounds like something I'd love to share with some friends, but I can't get it in nearby MD and we only recently got it in VA at stupid prices ($65 for the 12yr, the only one available). I guess I'll be keeping my eye open in DC :effort:

That's almost exactly what the standard 12-year-old would have cost me, taking into account the exchange rate. The Sauternes Finish was about NZ$13 dollars more, so I figured it was worth the upgrade.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Don't expect a great deal from it. It's a mass market blend.

...that makes a perfectly acceptable Irish Coffee. (Pretty high on my reasons for tolerating a typically grey and damp winter)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

themachine posted:

I recommend mixing with a ginger ale, or even better a ginger beer.

That works too. Tullamore even recommend it on their website.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Sure, it's fine just expect a mass market blend and not some single pot still nectar of the gods is what I'm saying here. :)

Speaking of which, Makers Mark is on deep discount where I live right now. Debating whether to grab a bottle or save up for something better.

Haven't drunk Wild Turkey 101 for over a decade, (following a not-too-pleasant-the-next-day overindulgence in my mildly flaming youth) but was contemplating giving it another shot.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Devil Wears Wings posted:

How deep of a discount? Makers is kind of bland, IMO, but it stands up well to mixing.

Twenty (Kiwi)bucks less than usual. (Making it cheaper than Jim Beam) The WT 101 is thirty bucks more, Willet (My current bucket-list Bourbon) is thirty more again.

Whisky: Keeping people poor and happy since the 15th century.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Caddrel posted:

Speaking of Tullamore Dew, what other Irish whiskys are decent around that price point? I love Redbreast and Green Spot but it would be nice to have something cheaper than those since I can't always afford them.

Jameson's is my first thought, seeing as it's cheap but not like drinking malted paint-thinner. Nothing spectacular, but a good mixer. Bushmills standard label is usually pretty sharply priced. (where I live, anyway) Haven't had a try of it recently, though.

The bargain here is The Irishman 70, which seems to be given away for NZ$40 or so. Not sure if that's standard pricing, or if it's even still available worldwide. (Google showed it at 35 pounds in the U.K)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Scyron posted:

Ardbeg and a cheap bottle of blended peat scotch for mixing, vs 1 bottle of lagavulin? (both would be close to $75 USD.) I've had all three in the equation, my thought is more booze = better, and I can use some of this Lord Canvandish simple syrup I made, that adds a cool tobacco aroma and mouth feel. (does contain nicotine)

If I got the lagavulin, well, I probably wouldn't crack it anytime soon, or only have it with some med-rare steaks on special occasions. Something that doesn't seem as fun, and well I would probably use the Ardbeg for anyways.

Good, bad, terrible?

Lagavulin is my favourite Scotch by a long margin, so I'd treat yourself. But I would also force myself to portion it out over a very long time.

I find it IS easier to save up for a cheap peated blend than the big-dollar brands, so I usually have a couple of mid-range bottles to one "once-a-fortnighter" on hand.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Headed to my local Whisky dealer on Friday to get some bitters. Ended up with my first bottle of Buffalo Trace as well. So an Old Fashioned it was, then!

Not bad for my first attempt. No oranges in the house, so that's a little twist of mandarin peel instead. Seemed to work.

Also got to try Glendronach Cask Strength (Batch 4) while I was browsing and chatting. Ridiculously good, spicy and warming. Right up there with Lagavulin for best whisky I've ever tried. Too bad it was the last dram of the last bottle they had managed to import.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Booyah- posted:

Does he like his whisky strong? Willett rye of any age is one of my favorites, and it typically in the 50-60 price range or more depending where you live.

For smoother offerings in bourbon, I'm not the best person to ask. Willett pot still bourbon is good, and makes a great gift because of the beautiful bottle, shaped like a copper pot still.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/willetts-pot-still-single-barrel-whisky/

I second this. Haven't tried the Rye, but the Single Barrel Reserve was drat impressive.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Google Butt posted:

This is the only bottle I have on hand and I don't think one whiskey sour is going to hurt :D

Relax dudes.

It's your booze, dude. Experiment and enjoy!

(Just dry-shake it if you're using egg-white. I tried that for the first time last night, and it was a heck of an improvement)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

2DCAT posted:

You want to dilute the whiskey (with water?) first, and then dilute it further by adding lemon juice? Hmm.... I mean, if you think that sounds like a good idea... then who am i to say otherwise ;)

Shaking it with ice should be dilution enough, although a 60% it's going to be one hell of a Sour. Give us a report once the buzz wears off.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Dropped in to my local whisky pushers for a new Glelcairn glass, after cracking my last one. He was sold out.

So I accidently ended up with a 20cl bottle of this instead;

(The Benromach, not the Appletons)

Not a bad little whisky for the price (NZ$34 for the small bottle, NZ$80 for a 70cl) Nice brown sugar/vanilla/slightly peaty nose, just a touch of smoke on the tongue. Drinking it out a small-ish brandy balloon will have to suffice until he restocks his glassware.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Decided to try out the Makers 46, only to discover my local whisky pusher had sold out. He steered me to the Bakers instead.

He has chosen.. wisely. Sampled last night with a tiny drop of water to open and tame the beast a little. Going to help me through the winter months nicely.

Came in at NZD$90, or $63 American. Don't tell the wife.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Haven't tried the Bookers yet, but it's got a pretty steep price jump over here. (something like an extra NZ$20 over the Bakers)

Or in my mind, 1/2 a bottle of Coruba Rum.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Cross-posting from the PYF cat pics thread.

My cat has approved the Bakers.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

kidsafe posted:

Glendronach so good.

Both those two are pretty drat good. My whisky pusher is VERY big on the label, so I don't doubt I'll end up with another variant somewhere down the track.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

Jeers to Jack Daniels for making lousy overpriced whiskey and leading people to think that Evan Williams must be a low-grade knockoff.

Gotta admit, the first time I saw an Evan Williams label, that's exactly what I thought.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

DerekSmartymans posted:

JD tastes good in a Coke, and that's about it.

And sometimes, that's all you're after. My cheap-and-cheerful mixer is Cougar, which I used to be able to get on a deep staff discount. It tastes fine in Cola, but it's no sipper. But once that's gone, I'll probably put a bottle of JD's on the shelf.

George Dickels rarer that a sober Australian here, and seriously expensive. Pritchard's turns up from time to time... any thoughts on this label?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Impulse-bought a half-bottle of Fighting Cock today to try.

I was supposed to be shopping for my wife's birthday present.

Whoops. :)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

DerekSmartymans posted:

"Here, Dear: half of a half bottle of Fighting Cock!"

I bet her panties just melt off.

Ahh, I got her some fancy tea and I'm going back for hand-made chocolates closer to the day. Was going to buy her a nice teacup, only to discover the price of good china makes whisky look tame.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

wormil posted:

Did you buy it from a hobo?

Nope, but I did get a paper bag for free. I'll open it in an alley tonight.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Well, I dispensed with an alley, and tried it while making a baked pasta instead.

That's a feel-the-burn Bourbon, all right. More heat than spice, but made for a pretty full-bodied drink with some good Ginger Beer.

Good on the rocks after dinner as well. Happy with my purchase.

And I still have 24 hours to source an actual present for the wife!

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

americong posted:

Was browsing the Costco liquor store, came across a $10/750mL bottle of brandy, am miraculously enjoying it a lot

What I'm trying to say is, any recommendations for fruit-based brown spirits?

I'm also nursing a bottle of Laphroaig Select, will grab the 10 when that's through with

I use Hennessy VS Cognac as a high-quality mixer with good ginger ale. I later discovered it was something James Bond drank in one of the Fleming novels. (Because he was at an airport bar, that would have made a terrible martini)

VSOP cognac is a great sipper, but things go crazy once you hit the XO level. A bottle of Hennessy XO will set you back NZ$300-ish at the moment. Yeah, nah.

There's also plenty of excellent oak-aged rums on the market these days, which make a nice change from whisky. 12-yo Appleton Estate has been my sipping rum for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Shovelmint posted:

Um, you drink from 4 to midnight at a reasonable pace, and that's what you end up with? 6 2oz pours

Unless you're Dylan Thomas.