Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

That Works posted:

Are the Japanese whiskies any cheaper over there?

I recently paid 99 dollars Australian for 700ml of Yamazaki 12 year old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Trip Report: Suntory Hibiki 12

Paid 15$ Aussie for a single straight - got given double by bartender i vaguely know. Had first half as-is then second half with a few drops of water added. Water drops didn't seem to change it for me.
First impression is it's incredibly easy to drink. No aggressive flavours, peat or the like. It's almost sweet and a bit citrus tasting? The negative i would have is that it doesn't seem to coat your mouth or stay around at all, it's almost as if as soon as you taste it it's gone.

Am i uneducated and that is a quality that some people like in a whisky? Anyone else had the Hibiki 12?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

biglads posted:

It's a Japanese blend, you are probably supposed to drink it in a highball.
I've had a bottle in the past, I quite liked it but it isn't especially full of character.

that makes a lot more sense - mouth feel of the scotch doesn't particularly matter with a mixer involved!

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

adamarama posted:

There's so many whiskey bars in Tokyo, you can't go wrong. Look for the one off bottlings. I got a Yamazaki with a Sherry finish. It was great and I'd never seen it before. If you like Islay, try hakushu. It's basically Japanese scotch, amazing.

Didn't a yamazaki with a sherry finish just win world's best whiskey?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

biglads posted:

Jim Murray gave it the highest points in his latest 'Whisky Bible'.

A few of us in the old thread splurged on one of the releases a few years back. Outstanding stuff.

biglads posted:

It seems that now Big Jim has anointed it from on high, those few places that still have stock are selling at a premium.

And this is why I am now in the thread and discussing. I want to find a good couple of splurges in the next couple of years before they get a popular tax/get sold out. The yamazaki sherry finish I couldn't get this week and the tasmanian drop last year (or was it earlier this year?) from Sullivan's Cove I missed out on as well despite it being from my own drat backyard

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

biglads posted:

Well there's a Yamazaki Bourbon Cask release. Very nice, sweet and creamy. There should be some of that kicking around. If you like a sherried scotch, look out for Glendronach Single Cask releases, all the ones I've tried have been fantastic. They come in at around £100 from memory.

Thanks for tips - my issue is that I don't quite know the names yet of the flavours and characteristics I like. Had lagavulin 16 on Wednesday and liked the smoky start of it but I don't like the laphroaig quarter cask at home for instance. Sweet and creamy yamazaki bourbon cask sounds like a good shout

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Happy Birthday to me!

Girlfriend surprised me with a bottle of Glenlivit 21 year old Archive. First impression is the aroma is quite fruity and with zero smokiness or peaty characters. Tasted this neat and the taste really impressed me. Sweet, almost honey like fruity flavours initially and then a clean but slightly nutty and spicy finish to the fruit flavours. Stayed around with a lovely warm feeling in the mouth. Only very new to drinking scotch but I reckon this style of Whisky is where my tastes lie...

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

donkey salami posted:

Looking for recommendations for Japanese whiskey. In the $100-120 range in California.

I don't know much about whiskey. But having lasik and told my friend I would buy him some whiskey when we go down there for being my driver.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

+1 more for yamazaki 12 year old. I massively enjoy it and as an added bonus 2 people who've never tried whiskey both liked it as their first, so it's definitely an approachable flavor profile

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Sashimi posted:

I've been getting into whisky lately, and I wouldn't mind some recommendations for reasonably priced Japanese whiskys. I'm almost done a bottle of Hibiki 12, but I feel a bit underwhelmed by it since it doesn't have the complexity I was expecting, or perhaps it was too hyped up for me by friends. Keep in mind I'm still fairly new to whisky so I don't really have a preferred style or flavours yet, I'm willing to try anything other goons have enjoyed.

I had the same issue with hibiki, had no mouth coating feel and complexity and posters ITT swiftly advised me it is blended and thus normally used in highballs.

Yamazaki 12 is a far better choice for you I'd say

That being said I'm struggling to find a replacement bottle for mine; unsurprising after someone mentioned the other day it's going out of stock all over and they are raising prices in April

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Took the opportunity to go spend some (Slightly Pre-)Birthday money today:

Technically, I shouldn't open it for a few more days, but... I probably will.

Oh my, that even looks tasty! Be sure to tell us how it is. Oh, and pre-emptively happy birthday!

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Devil Wears Wings posted:

If you like Ardbeg 10 then your next purchase needs to be Laphroaig Quarter Cask or Lagavulin 16 (or both).

lagavulin 16 tastes smoky but laphroaig qc tastes peaty to me after conversations describing those flavours to me. is that correct or are my taste buds still lacking

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

ShootaBoy posted:

So I picked up a bottle of Tullamore Dew on a whim today. I've never tried whiskey before so is there anything I should know before I crack it open?

I would also suggest trying anything new straight, then with an ice cube before mixing. for tullamore; ginger beer and fresh lime in a tall on ice

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Google Butt posted:

While I wait for my Nikka Coffee Grain to come in, I found a Bevmo about 30 minutes away that carries both the Suntory Hibiki and Yamazaki. Which should I pick up first?

Hibiki for mixing and yamazaki for straight.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

For the first time ive had a few scotch and cokes. Ive had talisker 10 (cheapest and most "middle of the road" i had in the house) with coke zero and quite enjoyed it.

Bottle is empty; any recommendations for a good mixing scotch? Im guessing a less sweet scotch since the coke is so sweet

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Big bro came back from the US with 2 bottles of Glenlivit Master Distillers Reserve for 100USD

Interested to compare it to the Glenlivit 21. The Master Distillers reserve is done in 3 different barrels including ex-Sherry casks. I feel like it's going to be quite light and fruity

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Colleague at work bought me a bottle of my choice as a thank you yesterday - Aberlour A'bunadh was certainly a welcome surprise (i gave her 3 to choose from).

First thing that struck me is it's colour in the bottle. The shape of the bottom of the bottle lets you see through a thinner section and it looks unreal.

The nose is confronting but very sweet. As with every new whisky i tried the first sip straight up and jesus i see why people suggest a few drops of water. At nigh 60% alcohol it wad hard to get through to the flavour. Very Very sweet on the front of the tongue though.

Added 1 small ice cube to my 2 ounces of whisky so it may have been more diluted than most would suggest but for the next couple of hours it was a very enjoyable sipping drink. Cinnamon and spice and fruits were what i got out of it most.

Thankyou scotch goons for getting this one onto my radar; would recommend strongly to anyone looking for a sweet but rich dram.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Tried the aberlour a'bunadh again with just a splash of water as suggested. Very enjoyable. I still think i like cold scotch but this was enjoyable in a different way as well

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Out for dinner the other night and having a nightcap at a bar spotted Talisker Port Ruighe. No age stated (that i could see) and finished in port barrels. Very smooth, quite sweet and not a particularly full body I thought. I commented that i hadnt seen it before and bartender said it hasnt been on the market long. Anyone else had it / know anything about it?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Alman posted:

Ended up going with Lagavulin 16. Hoping he'll share as I've never had the pleasure of having a dram of it :)

Excellent choice; enjoy! (Hopefully)

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If they're putting that much time and money into the experiment, they must have a reason. They aren't just taking their results for granite.

This terrible pun deserved more love

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Night before last I shared most of a bottle of "old pulteney" 8 year old. Never seen it before and granted it was the end of a rather large night so anything would have tasted passable; but I was rather impressed.

What should I know about it?

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

kidsafe posted:

Old Pulteney is a distillery on the northernmost tip of the Highland region. It's owned by conglomerate called Inver House, which also owns AnCnoc, Balblair and Speyburn. I find all of them to have a similar base profile (sweet, syrupy, stone fruits like honeydew) as if their malting and fermenting processes are identical. Old Pulteney tastes like it has a hint of brine which can perhaps feel effervescent on the tongue. Balblair is generally richer, darker, candied. AnCnoc is fruitier, sweeter. Speyburn is like a younger, less intense AnCnoc.

That you had an 8-year-old makes me think you had an independent bottling. Often I find independent bottlings to taste more one-dimensional or 'generic' -- maybe a byproduct of them reusing exhausted oak barrels.

Thanks for the info - what does independent bottling mean though?

Google Butt posted:

you should know that the OP 17 is one of the best whiskies I've ever had
I'll keep an eye out for it then :)

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

At dinner the other night Hibiki 21 was 110 aussie dollars a dram...

My buddy ordered a double on the rocks and the waiter politely advised him of the price and suggested 2 bottles of sake to share at the table for the same price...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Jo3sh posted:

I'll try to post something about it when I open it, but I have a cold right now so I am not in best tasting condition. Might be a while.

I know what will clear that cold right up...

A'bunadh was one of the first scotches in my collection where I read tasting notes and immediately understood what they were getting at. It tastes exactly like Christmas fruit cake to me. I open it up with a bit of water though, because at cask strength it is wild and hard to taste (for my palate anyway)