Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Where I'm at (NC) Buffalo Trace flies off the shelves, it's drat near impossible to find a bottle sometimes. It's a good bourbon, imo probably the best under $30, but I didn't think it was that good. Is supply really limited or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

sean10mm posted:

So I've gone through a few bourbons over the last year or so, and what I like and don't like as much seems to have no logical pattern whatsoever?

Was happy drinking it:

Buffalo Trace
Bullett

Fine, I guess:

Jim Beam Black (best just dumped in some Coke)
Eagle Rare 10 year (I only liked this when I just made hot toddies with it)

Actively disappointed:

Four Roses Small Batch

Is there any kind of pattern here? It seems like there is no pattern here. I want to try something different but have no idea what to go for next because there seems to be no logic to my preferences?.

Strange that you didn't like Four Roses, it has a similar profile to Buffalo Trace. I can say that I like the Single Barrel much better than the Small Batch, but one thing you have to consider is that the smaller the batch size the more inconsistency you might find between bottles.

n-thing Wild Turkey 101, try it over ice if you find the proof too high to sip warm.

Woodford Reserve is real smooth, give that a go.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

CoolHandMat posted:

i usually end up letting the ice melt a bit before enjoying burbon rye. is that sacrilegious in general? or does it just depend on the quality / type of whiskey one is drinking?
Many whiskey fans will encourage you to add a splash of water. It can help bring out flavors that would get masked by the high proof. For me it just depends on what I'm drinking, some stuff tastes better neat, some stuff better chilled or on ice.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Yeah, the thing about ice is that it puts your drink on a clock. I definitely prefer my higher proof whiskey's straight from the freezer, though.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Enigma posted:

Ardbeg 10 - I may regret this being my first real scotch since it will be hard to love something less smokey. It's a glorious bog fire.
Give Ardbeg uigeadail a try, it's like drinking liquid smoke

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

very stable genius posted:

Every single Irish whiskey I've had has this same off-putting almost sour flavor on the finish that I just can't get past. I've had a ton of Bourbons and Scotch, but this flavor seems to be exclusive to Irish whiskey. It's very pronounced in Jameson but I find it even in the mid to high end Irish whiskies. A friend bought me a bottle of Teeling for Christmas and I've had 2 pours of it. I just can't get past that flavor. Am I crazy or is there something about the process that makes all Irish whiskey taste like this? I don't get it in any other whiskey.
Jameson etc to me has a garbage aftertaste. Like literally has the taste of old garbage that's been sitting around.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

KozmoNaut posted:

It meets all the requirements to be a straight bourbon, so it is in fact a bourbon. They just call it Tennessee Whiskey to be *~special~*.
AFAIK bourbon requirements are stricter than whiskeys, but bourbon is a Kentucky thing and Tennessee folks like their whiskey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I meant culturally. Tennessee folks aint like to call their firewater "bourbon"