Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Just picked up a bottle of Buillet Rye after looking around a fair bit for it. As this is not only my first purchase of whiskey but also my first purchase of any liquor for pleasure rather than economy, I was a bit antsy at first about dropping $35-ish on something I hadn't tasted before. Totally worth it. This may have just redeemed hard liquor for me. Doesn't hurt that it kicks rear end at soothing a sore, sick-rear end throat.

Problem is, I'm at a dead end as far as rye goes, I think. Virginia's state regulated stores don't have the best selection, and rye isn't all that popular in my local area. Having tried Johnny Walker Red and Black and not particularly enjoying either, what would be a good entry point into Scotch? I remember enjoying Glenlivet 12 when I had it, but that's pretty much my only positive experience with the drink so far.

Not sure where you are in VA but the Vienna(NoVa) ABC store has the Buillet Rye and some other bottles I don't normally see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

If you're in NoVA and are interested in Pappy Van Winkles the ABC store in Vienna has started there waiting list for the next batch... Due in November.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Lear posted:

You have just set my Friday night schedule. I'm in an extremely bourbon mood this Friday and will try one of these after work.

Word of warning. I've tried a whole lot of Bourbon over the last year and Eagle Rare was, by far, the most disappointing.

My favorites: Blanton's and Four Roses.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

NoVA Goons. I got the call from the ABC Store in Tyson's by Men's Warehouse. They got the Van Winkles 12yr in yesterday.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

beefnchedda posted:

I am trying to pick up a belated mother's day gift and my mom has recently gotten into bourbon. She says she enjoys Woodford and Bulleit, but not Eagle Rare. Unfortunately, she is not able to describe her likes and dislikes with any clarity. Any recommendations on bourbons that I should have try? I was leaning towards Four Roses Single Barrel.

Four Roses or Blantons.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

My answer is always Blanton's :). I'd give Four Roses Single Barrel a shot too.

These!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Van Winkle is nice but I'm not sure its worth getting looked at like I'm an rear end in a top hat when I ask to be put on the wait list after April. I also felt guilty drinking the stuff since its so hard to come by.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

A good friend of mine has stumbled across an odd rumor that several unmarked barrels of Pappy we're recently found and bottled under Jefferson's name. Needless to say they're selling without the crazy markup and he's bought us a couple bottles for the holiday.

Have any of you heard anything of this?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Bunk Rogers posted:

A good friend of mine has stumbled across an odd rumor that several unmarked barrels of Pappy we're recently found and bottled under Jefferson's name. Needless to say they're selling without the crazy markup and he's bought us a couple bottles for the holiday.

Have any of you heard anything of this?

Update on this.

Its loving great.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Smokewagon posted:

I must have missed your previous post. They do claim it is Stitzel-Weller juice from the last year of production. I suppose it could be "Pappy" but who knows. I have't tried it yet, but I do plan on it. I'm a huge fan of wheated bourbon and it is on my list. Do you have any tasting notes you care to share?

I'm no expert but it tastes of caramel. I convinced my wife and her friends to take a couple sips, both of whom really don't like bourbon and they thought it was wonderful and smooth. My previous favorite bourbon was Blanton's with then lesser pappy coming in a bit behind and this absolutely smoked both of those.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Visiting Southern California this week. Trader Joe's sells Bulliet for $20?! What the fuuuuuck am I doing in VA?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I'd swear its $30 at the ABC store. Seeing any type of alcohol at the grocery is freaky.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Just got the call. There's a twenty-year-old Pappy waiting for me. I had completely forgotten I was even on the list as I put my name on it two years ago. The twelve year was good but didn't live up to the hype. I hope this is worth the cost.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this a local place where you put your name on it? I can't really afford one right now but in two years I sure can.

I signed up a couple years back with an ABC store in NoVA and complete forgot until I got the call last night. I'm not quite sure how to enjoy a bottle of something that can be flipped for $750 even of I only spent $135 but I'll give it a shot!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Kenning posted:

You are truly blessed. Where do you live with prices like that?

It floats between $22 and $25 at the Burke Center store in NoVA. It's so good but the sweetness gives me a headache.

The wife got me some Booker's for my birthday. drat that's good stuff.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can we talk bourbon here? I normally drink mine neat, but my wife got me a bottle of Bookers and it's 130 proof. Obviously I need to cut it with something, so I suppose I can just water it down, but is there a higher and better use than that?

I toss in a cube and ease into the melt.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My ABC Store is run by a bourbon snob who refuses to stock OGD 114. For $22 there is nothing remotely close to being as good, I could strangle the dude.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Virginia Pappy Info here.

A year or so ago I was told that the ABC stores stopped keeping a list for all Pappy bottles. However, I spoke to the manager at my store a few nights ago and the lists still exist but not for the 20 and 23 year. My store got 75 bottles.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My bourbon guy at the ABC store had me try a bottle of Wathen's. The bottle is the same as Elmer T Lee. Flavor wise it's awesome for being a mid $30 bottle of bourbon. I'm very happy.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Weller 107 has been my favorite since I got into bourbon and it's been nearly impossible to find since folks caught on to how good it is. I've been wait listed for several months and finally got a couple bottles in this afternoon. So good, so happy.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Just got the call today. NoVA stores got some Pappy in.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Burke here. Did your shop mention that the list for Pappy is now an online thing? Im hoping the dude I spoke with was loving with me.

Edit:

quote:

In October 2015 a new statewide policy was established stating that Pappy 15, 12 and 10 year products will be shipped to Virginia ABC stores where they must be placed on the store shelf and sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 30, 2015

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My special order of Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel came in this week. I really wish I knew how to describe bourbon in that flowery bullshit talk because this stuff is really friggin good.

The only review I could find for it online is "Rock Hill Farms is a very good bourbon, and worth trying. If you have an extra $60, give it a shot." so I'm secure in that I haven't given it the worst good review ever.

He did go on to describe it as "Sweet caramel and honey on the tip of the tongue. Ripe pears and fruits mingle on the middle of the tasting, while the back of the tongue gets a brown sugar, maple syrup, and black pepper sensation.". I get all that but fruit.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

NoVA goons! The Burke Center ABC has a few bottles of the Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey left. It's friggin delicious. It's mixed in with the Bourbon.

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 10, 2016

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Corrected my spelling. I swear my breath smells of coffee after drinking it though.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Still tons of 114 at my local Total Wine. Is this unusual?

Word is that they're done with 114. Might be dumping inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Bookers is now $70 in VA. gently caress straight off!