Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Just got back from a bourbon & rye tasting. I've been drinking scotch for about 5 years but didn't know bourbon beyond Maker's Mark (which I enjoyed).

We went through

Basil Hayden 8yr
Bakers Small 7yr
Makers Mark 46
Old Overholt 80 Rye (explained as a good inexpensive bottle, something to make a manhattan with)
Knob Creek Rye

I ended up buying a bottle of the Basil Hayden 8yr, although the Bakers was a close 2nd for me. Between the 2 ryes I actually liked the Old Overholt more, it was very light and had that citrus note I guess I'm supposed to notice between rye and bourbon.

Some guy I was talking with said if I liked the Bakers I should try Bookers next. I'll probably do some research while I'm going through this bottle but any feedback from here on the few I tried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
And the next step up is their Sauternes, even sweeter. I have both of those, the Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'or at home and enjoyed them both. The fruitiness of the port really does come through in the former and the incredible sweetness of the sauternes is very prominent in the latter. I recommend exploring the whole Glenmorangie line to get decent examples of what different barrels bring to the scotch.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Toiwat posted:

Ardbeg and Bowmore are the newcomers, bought those today. Missing here is the Caol Ila Cask Strenght, which I finished last month. I need to solve that.

Just tried the Bowmore myself, very light tasting. Probably the least peaty Islay I've tried that's still identifiable as an Islay.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Picked up a bottle of the Laphroaig QC today, went to the top of my list to try after reading through this thread. Looking forward to opening it soon however I've been flying through bottles too fast so I decided to also get an economy bottle to drink.

Bought a 1.75L of Teacher's for $30 as I've never tried that before but read a couple OK (for budget scotch) reviews online and thought that cost was decent. It's alright, balanced nose, I found the mouthfeel very smooth and creamy neat but it became almost oily with a little water. The taste is the simple basic blended scotch, I find it sort of grassy and nutty. A bunch of reviews said subtle smoke but I don't find that at all. Oh well, you get what you pay for and while I've had far worse this didn't meet my hopes of finding a quality bottle under $30.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Started listening to the scotch podcast and they were raving about the Clynelish 14 so I picked that up today. I wanted to get a decent bourbon as well but they were sold out of/overpriced on everything that was on my list to try that I carry around. I picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Very Small Batch merely because it was on sale (there are a couple rarer Jeffersons I've been wanting to try but no luck on those). Looking forward to trying one of those this weekend!

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I tried out the Corsair Triple Smoke on a whim. I really wanted to try their quinoa but chickened out on buying a whole bottle.

The Triple Smoke is pretty neat, I'm not sold on it entirely yet but it's a bit better than I was expecting. The 3 smokes are well balanced and throughout the whole experience of drinking the peat, beechwood and cherry would roll in and out. On top of that it's very sweet and fruity. Looking forward to exploring it more, but it's not really going to end up much more than a novelty I expect.

Still, if you want something fun and different, I recommend it.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Well I bought into the hype of Pappy and over paid for a bottle of 15 year old to try.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Deleuzionist posted:

Continuing on flavours, some might find this interesting, at least from page 23 on: http://www.tuthilltown.com/wp-content/uploads/Long-Term-Changes-In-Whiskey-Maturation-Presentation1.pdf

Some information on how exactly maturation effects the whisky in the cask and why certain flavours can only be produced by time.

edit: It was time again to book a tasting at the local yearly whisky fair. Too bad the list of tastings was a huge letdown compared to last year. In the end I couldn't find any one that I would have really liked to attend so I picked a Bunnahabhain vertical (Toiteach, 12, 18, 25 & 40) because I obviously need more schooling on Bunna.

That presentation was neat, anything else like it? I'm a little confused because it's telling me the mature mouth feel on aged whiskies is mainly from water - ethanol interaction, affected by wood chemical concentrations. Seems to me like I should be able to bottle age my whiskies then, give them that 30 year old mouth feel simply by waiting.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
My scotch club quarterly offering came in today with these 2 beauties. My collection now has a more decent footing in Islays.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Gegil posted:

Loved the single malt, rumble, and rumble reserve.
Wife will drink the rumble with ice or water. If I could get a regular supply of them they would never leave my bar as a staple

Hated brimstone (worse smoke flavor than the shiner smokehouse from a few years back) didn't care for the baby blue.

Oh no, that Brimstone is delicious. It's a full on BBQ experience nose to finish, but it's so tasty. Although I'll admit a single glass is more than enough.

It's also the only smoked whiskey!

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I am loving this Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. It's surprisingly flavorful for being a 1 month. Kind of dominated by the sweet cherry note, tastes almost like a mixed drink. It's scary drinkable, I keep refilling my glass.

Maybe I was just expecting much worse from a 1 month aged whiskey but I'm getting a kick out of this.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Found a bottle of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Heavily Peated single malt at the local Bevmo yesterday. I can't grade it in relation to other Bruichladdich releases since I've only had the Laddie 10, but I think it's delicious. It has the same oiliness and citrus notes as the Laddie 10, but with a healthy does of peat and smoke. They say that it is smoked to 40 ppm, but it seems a little less smokey than Laphroaig 10 and a lot less medicinal. Also seems quite a bit more delicate and lighter than Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin 16.

Overall, I like it a lot and would like to get my hands on some of their other releases. Does anyone have experience with any of the Octomore releases?

We just tried an Octomore actually, unfortunately I'm not certain what release/year/batch it was. I was expecting something undrinkable, but it was surprisingly fruity and had a pleasant meatiness to it. Glazed ham? Anyway it was much more balanced than I was expecting. It does however saturate your mouth with peat, beyond the long peat finish and the continuing peat on your exhale, it just coats your entire mouth and seeps into your pores. Your saliva tastes like peat for another good several minutes. It's interesting stuff, I need to try some more but I'd rate it reasonably high.

As far as Bruichladdich Scotch goes, my favorite at its price point is the Organic. It has a perfect barley flavor, great balance of flavors and is so amazingly drinkable.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

spoon0042 posted:

They *might* be discontinuing it, at least I saw it on the clearance shelf a couple months ago at one store. And it doesn't show up in their inventory online that I checked. Dammit, now I'll have to look out for it.

Oh I hope not, I had been ignoring it forever but finally picked up my first bottle of Springbank 10 about a month ago. I don't want to be too reactionary without more experience, but it may be one of my favorites at that price point or age. I'm very interested in trying other bottlings but I may get paranoid from your unfounded claims and pick up some more of the 10 year!

I did just pick up the Campbletown Loch blended on a whim, which I was rather disappointed with. Dominated by smoke and an uninteresting sweetness and very hot out of the bottle. Water was needed but did little to open up the flavors. Not the worst, but for a ~$40 blended there are others I like significantly more.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Tasted Balcones Rumbles, Corsair Ryemageddon, and Arran Malt 14 tonight.

The Rumble was interesting, the nose was probably the best part, very complex sweetness with a full fruity perfume. The flavor was reminiscent of corn heavy whiskeys continued that fruit sweetness. Didn't do much on the finish, the alcohol really came though after the fact. It was fun and I recommend trying it but I will never pick up a bottle.

The Ryemageddon was a decent rye, for a $40 Rye it can definitely stand up with some of the popular bottles that are twice its price point. Nose was very muted but nicely balanced between grainy rye and sweet warm baked goods. The palate was mundane, pretty dominated by the single note rye, but the finish was real nice. My friend said it was reminiscent of nesquik powder that doesn't get absorbed in milk and gets caught on your tongue.

The Arran 14 was phenomenal. Very reminiscent of some of the full bodied Highlands like an Oban or Clynelish. A super mix of a tannic malty sweetness and briny sea. I will be picking up a bottle of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I'd also vote for the Ardbeg releases, Auriverdes just got released and I've read mostly over-hyped reviews but generally good stuff. Peat Monster limited release should maybe still be available somewhere, too, if you're not opposed to blends.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Good Peaty Scotches where you're going up a bit in price, Bunnahabain 18 is delicious

The Bunna 18 is phenomenal but peaty it is not. There's peat in it, sure, but very lightly.