Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Remy Marathe posted:

Has anyone here tried Buffalo Trace's "White Dog Mash #1"? I almost picked up a half bottle last night but didn't want to blow $15 on a gimmick. Reading reviews on it today has piqued my curiosity again, I've only tried new make once before at a Bruichladdich tasting and I don't really remember what it was like, just that it was inoffensive.

You know, I picked up a bottle a while back, and just realized I haven't cracked it yet. I'll remedy that on Sunday (I'll be out of town for most of the weekend), and post some tasting notes here for you.

On another note for the preceeding post, since when is Balvenie Doublewood in any way more smokey than HP12? That's crazy talk. It's only got the very faintest hint of smoke possible, where the HP12 has a quite noticeable peat smoke finish.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Jetfire posted:

That being said, several Canadian whiskies include rye in the mashbill.

That doesn't really mean much considering that most bourbons include rye in the mashbill.

Canadian whisky is its own thing, but when people are talking rye in a whisk(e)y thread, it's decidedly not what they're talking about.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Jibo posted:

Also, I'm not sure if anyone here is in these areas but I'm looking for a good shop to find rarer whisky/ey in the Northwest Ohio / Southeast Michigan area (as in, Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Toledo) and also for one in the Columbus Ohio area.

The best spot in Ann Arbor, IMO, is Super Liquor IV on State St. just south of I-94. They have some interesting stuff, and the biggest selection of IB's I've seen in the state. Mind you, that isn't saying much.

As for Ohio, forget it. That's an ABC state, and while not as bad as some states, you can straight up forget finding rarer stuff. That said, the best place I found was Corner's Beverage Shoppe in Gahanna on the corner of Morse and E. Johnstown, but apparently they've closed? There's another one up around Polaris somewhere, but I've never been to that one. The best source for beer in Columbus is probably Kenny Road Market, on Kenny north of Henderson a bit. I don't remember if they carried spirits, but if they did, I wasn't impressed. I can't think of another place that really grabbed me, but I've heard good things about Weiland's.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Voodoofly posted:

I didn't notice much in the OP, so can someone give me a quick introduction to learning more about rye whiskey?

I tend to prefer peaty, Islay Scotch, and on that note someone gave me some Pigwhistle a couple nights ago. It was a very happy find for me, and also a realization that I don't know much about rye whiskey at all. I'll probably end up with a bottle of Pigwhistle sometime soon, but I'd like to learn more about rye whiskey in general (and hopefully find some less expensive bottles to buy as well). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Straight rye whiskey is exactly straight bourbon, but with the >50% corn requirement in the mashbill replaced with rye. Other than that, the process is identical. It was also the commonly preferred American whiskey up until prohibition, after which bourbon massively took over in popularity. I haven't tried Whistlepig so I can't tell you how the flavor compares, but the following are what I recommend in each price bracket:

Good cheaper ryes:
Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond
Wild Turkey Rye
Bulleit Rye

Mid-priced ryes:
Russel's Reserve Rye
Sazerac Rye

Expensive ryes that are actually worth the money:
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
Sazerac Rye 18yo

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Kenning posted:

There are so many incredibly expensive craft ryes that I just can't believe are worth the price tag.

Totally agreed. That's why the two "expensive" ryes I listed are ones that shouldn't top out over $60... assuming you can find them.

That said, VWFRR is worth every penny I paid, and probably then some, since it's literally the best thing I have ever put in my mouth in my entire life.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

skooma512 posted:

Any thoughts on Kirkland Signature Premium Small Batch Bourbon from Costco?

I know their vodka is rebranded Grey Goose. A quick google search says this bourbon is pretty much Knob Creek.

I haven't tried it yet, but I do know that it's a Beam product, and I'm not particularly fond of any particular Beam bourbon, so I'll probably just pass on it entirely.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

spankmeister posted:

Have you tried any of the Beam bourbons that don't have Beam on the label, like Knob Creek? I prefer woodford over knob but it's not bad.

Tigren posted:

Ya, this, seriously. How can you say you don't like any Beam products. Basil Hayden's? Bakers? Bookers?

Yes, I've tried all of Beam's small batch collection, numerous times. And I certainly appreciate what Booker and Fred did for the industry, essentially creating the small batch bourbon market out of whole cloth. And I'm not saying they're bad, just that I don't particularly prefer them. That is, at any of the pricepoints of any Beam bourbon or rye, there are numerous other bourbons or ryes I'd rather be drinking. I vastly prefer, say, the Wild Turkey product-wide character over that of Beam. The same goes for most Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill products in comparison to Beam.

I won't turn down any offered drink of a Beam product, but I'm not going to go out of my way in any fashion to pick some up when I like pretty much everything else more.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

NightConqueror posted:

Any opinions on good rye whiskeys for sipping? I've been thinking about trying Bulleit. I haven't had much experience with rye, outside of some Jim Beam rye in a Manhattan.

Russel's Reserve
Sazerac
Rittenhouse BIB
mmmmmmmmaybe Bulleit, but I find it makes a better Manhattan than just drinking it neat or on the rocks. I'd put it right around WT Rye as far as that goes.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Zeno-25 posted:

Are they still making Sazerac Rye? I last had it a few years ago, and I remember it was really good for the relatively low price. I liked it more than Rittenhouse (go with the 100 proof on that one), but none of the stores I was usually able to find it at in northern IL have had it in ages. Other Sazerac products are no problem (ignoring the premium/rare ones).

As far as I know, yes, they are. There certainly haven't been any announcements to the contrary from BT. That said, demand for bourbon and rye has skyrocketed in the last five years, and BT in particular has been caught off guard in regards to having a large stock of properly aged whiskeys ready to bottle, so it's highly likely that it's just going to be harder to find.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

NightConqueror posted:

I've just run out of bourbon and I'm looking to pick up another. My go-to bourbon so far has always been either Wild Turkey 101 or Buffalo Trace. I've been eyeing up Four Roses recently. Is anything other than their Single Barrel offering worthwhile? Any other recomendations within the $20-$40 range

If you like WT101 and you haven't tried Rare Breed yet you should really get Rare Breed.

Otherwise, I like the suggestion of Elmer T. Lee, and some other good suggestions in that price range would be Eagle Rare 10yr, Four Roses Small Batch, and Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Also, spankmeister, what the hell are you smoking? Four Roses Yellow Label isn't a blend, it's a straight bourbon. It's only a blend in the sense that multiple barrels are dumped and diluted somewhat, just like every other non-single barrel bourbon out there. It includes no neutral grain spirits at all.

That said, I do agree that there's better stuff at the price point FRYL inhabits.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

wormil posted:

Any Columbus Ohio goons here? I'll be in Columbus this coming weekend and hope to visit a liquor store with a very good selection of bourbon.

No such thing. Ohio is an ABC state, with a fairly anemic selection offered by the state. Not as bad as some states, but when I was living there a few years ago, I had to go to Kentucky or Michigan to find a decent bourbon selection.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Jibo posted:

Scotch or Irish Whiskey seems to get some okay representation, but not Bourbon for some reason. Or at least that's how it's been in my experience.

They've got a pretty terrible selection of scotch as well. You're looking at pretty much the youngest expressions from the largest distilleries, and even then some of the larger ones (like Ardbeg) are next to impossible to find. And forget about IBs, or anything from a smaller distiller. Ohio is a terrible, terrible state to buy whisk(e)y in. Every single one of the states that border it is almost assuredly better in that regard.

If you're going to take that route, I'd suggest just driving to Bellevue, KY (across the river from Cincinnati) and go to The Party Source, which has one of the best bourbon selections I've ever seen, and a pretty drat good scotch selection as well, with plenty of IBs.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 3, 2012

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

NightConqueror posted:

That's too bad, and a little odd, because I thought a lot of whiskeys do better at high proofs, at least flavor-wise. The only high proof whisky I've had was Laphroaig Cask Strength which had some serious punch at 114 proof. I've never had a bourbon above 100 proof, but I'd like to try George T. Stagg sometime.

If you want to dip into high-proof bourbons, keep your eyes peeled for Old Grand-Dad 114, which is one of the all-time great bourbon bargains, IMO.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

GramCracker posted:

Did anyone see this?

Jim Beam 1795

$175 for an eight year old single barrel? :psyduck:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Senf posted:

So I'm thinking about picking up a new Islay as a Christmas gift for a friend of mine and I'm looking for something similar to Ardbeg Uigeadail. Dude loves his peat and isn't into overly sweet whiskys (but appreciate some), so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to be a little more original than Ardbeg 10, though I may just grab a bottle of that and call it a day.

Also I'm so jealous that you grabbed that Whisky Advent Calendar :(

If he likes Uigeadail, he'd probably also like the other notable and readily available sherried peat bomb: Lagavulin 16.

Assuming he hasn't had it yet, of course.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

spankmeister posted:

You do mean the Lagavulin Distillers Edition right?

Oh whoops, of course I did. :doh:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Any recommendations for a good starter rye? I've normally had bourbon, but I've heard enough good stuff about rye that I want to give it a shot.

Good starter ryes:
Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond if you can find it
Bulleit Rye
Wild Turkey Rye (101 proof)

Slight steps up:
Sazerac Rye
Russell's Reserve Rye

Ryes to ruin all other ryes for you forever :unsmigghh:
Sazerac 18 year old
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stultus Maximus posted:

Define "budget". Highland Park 12 is about $45 and is a good Islay. Do you consider that budget?

Highland Park isn't an Islay. They're on Orkney. Getting some Highland Park thinking it'd be anything like an Islay peat monster would be a bit of a disappointment. It's a lovely whisky, but the peat is merely a backdrop, not up in your face.

If you want something cheap and peaty, it's hard to go wrong with Black Bottle.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oakland Martini posted:

Edit 2: Their website seems to confirm the switch to 81-proof rye, but also has made me aware of a 12-year old, 101-proof expression. I've never seen that anywhere. Anyone have experience with it?

It's a very, very limited release that they've been doing for years. I've never once actually seen a bottle in the wild.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I a heathen for planning on making a Manhattan with Woodford Reserve?

Only if you're not pairing it with a good vermouth.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

wormil posted:

Old Granddad is fun when you want to feel like a cowboy but I personally wouldn't compare it to 101 or anything over $20/bottle.

OGD 114 is outstanding, and one of the best bargains in bourbon, full stop.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

deathfalls posted:

Is it possible to get a bad batch of whiskey? I bought another bottle of Bulleit Rye yesterday and just got around to opening it and it tastes foul, nothing like the other bottles of it that I've had. Never experienced that with whiskey before.

Try it again in a few days. It's really easy for something to be messing with your palate and significantly change your the flavors you perceive. I've had it happen with some of my favorite whiskies, from the same bottle, and coming back a few days later, it was as delicious as I originally remembered it. Never write off a whole bottle from a single tasting.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 5, 2013

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Well dangit what's something cool and hard to get here or at least awesome and much cheaper over there?

Japanese whiskies aside from Yamazaki 12 or 18 or Hibiki 12? I know that a lot of stuff from places like Nikka, Taketsuru, and Yoichi that never makes it to the US has pretty good distribution in the UK.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Astarath posted:

well poo poo, a relative and myself get each other a bottle of something every year for an early christmas present. I sent him Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban since he's into the Highland malts, but he really outdid me this year. Because this happened :shepface:

I haven't opened it yet but i'll probably be unable to resist having a small taste tonight.

Aw man, this year's Stagg doesn't qualify as hazardous materials any more. :(

I forget exactly which release I have, but it's either Hazmat III (2006, 140.6%) or Hazmat IV (2007, 144.8%). Drinking it neat is... challenging.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Duckboat posted:

Alberta Premium and Forty Creek are supposed to be pretty good, never tried them myself.

Forty Creek is pretty good, yeah.

quote:

Isn't Canadian "rye" considerably different from American rye because the Canadians can have any amount of rye, whereas in the US rye must legally have 51% or greater rye?

Yes. Boatloads of bourbons have higher rye content than Canadian "rye."

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Caddrel posted:

Thanks, that's what I'd thought. I may give the Aberlour or Auchentoshan a try, but not before tasting them first. They also have Macallan 10 fine oak for the same price and I liked the 12. Ultimately though I should just save the money for better whiskys.

FWIW, the condition of your palate also plays a huge role in the perception of whiskey flavors, and that might be part of your bad second experience with Glenlivet 12. I know I've gone back to some of my favorite single malts and bourbons at times and found them really bitter and off-putting, probably largely due to what I had been eating earlier, or a stuffed nose, or who knows what else. Come back to the Glenlivet after a couple days and see if you get the same impression. It could be wildly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Armed Neutrality posted:

It's been ridiculously hot here so I started making some cocktails with some cheaper bourbon that I won't drink neat. Whisky Sour and a Bourbon Sidecar were great, anything else I should try?

Mint julep. One of the best hot-weather cocktails there is.