Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My experiences with (cheap) scotch back in college didn't leave a great first impression, so I've avoided it for the most part, instead preferring bourbon and rye. I just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 on a whim and this is some really tasty stuff - what are some others a neophyte like myself should look out for at the liquor shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Glenmorangie is also pretty nice and easy drinking at that price

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've been getting into scotch recently, after only drinking bourbon & rye for years and being turned off by college-days shots of Clan McGregor and Dewers. I've currently got Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal, and Glenmorangie; I really enjoy how vastly different all three are. What would you recommend trying next, in the sub-$60 range?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

What's a good, not too pricey entry point for Islay malts?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Just picked up my first Islay, Ardbeg 10, after 10+ years of thinking I didn't like "smokey whisky". I've been living a lie.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I got a bottle of Noah's Mill as a gift a few years ago, I remember liking it okay but there's much better options for $50

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

What're y'all's quarantine whiskies? Most of my bottles are pretty low so I picked up a Wild Turkey 101 and Ardbeg 10.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I picked up some Evan Williams Bottled in Bond yesterday, pretty tasty stuff for ~$20. I think I like WT101 more, but I'm going to have to have a couple more glasses to be sure.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm no expert but I believe gin is easier to do small scale / entry level because most of the flavor comes from your botanicals, so as long as your base spirit is decent you can make something drinkable and unique.

I just went out to the liquor store for triple sec to make margaritas, now I want tonic water.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

spankmeister posted:

I just checked and Wee Beastie almost doubled in price. :mad:

gently caress that noise then

Wee Beastie's still ~$40 here, I should pick one up before it increases.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I just picked up a Four Roses Single Barrel, this is real nice. Tastes like hot cinnamon candies.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I get a dill pickle note from Bulleit

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've seen a lot of people dismiss Basil Hayden's, but a local place has it for $20 (vs the $40 I usually see). Worth grabbing?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I ended up grabbing that $18 Basil Hayden's today and am having my first glass.

Well, now I've got something for juleps at least.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've got a half a bottle of Chivas Regal I don't really care for straight. Any good scotch-based cocktails out there aside from penicillin and sours?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Add a little lemon and ginger and you've got yourself a penicillin

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Gejimayu posted:

Bourbon/American Whiskey: here I seem to have found my wheelhouse. I really enjoy woodford reserve, makers mark, and (don't hate on me for this) I often fall back on Evan Williams Single Barrel. I really don't like regular evan williams, and if I'm feeling cheap, I go for jim beam white over it every time. Usually to make a whiskey sour with. I feel like I've not enjoyed high rye whiskeys as much, although I preferred bulliet rye to their bourbon, so im open to the idea of higher rye content. I lucked into an eagle rare early in my experience, and today scored a buffalo trace (which i used to drink before it was harder to find), which i would place maybe a step above woodford and EWSB. Being a nerd, im kinda interested in the chase of the rare bottle, but don't want to pester store clerks too much.

Does anyone have recommendations for me that would be interesting and not too costly?

Edit: or, honestly, things to look out for?

I like Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (white label) more than the black label or Jim Beam White. I can usually find it for ~$15. Wild Turkey 101 is a few dollars more but is probably my favorite bang for your buck bourbon. If you want to splurge, pick up Four Roses Single Barrel ($40).

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Did Laphroaig up the price on Quarter Cask? Bottle King is usually pretty good on sticking to MSRP but they had it for $80 today

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Is Weller 107 Store Pick worth picking up at $70? My local store got a couple cases but I don't think I've ever paid for than $45 for bourbon

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Paul Masson VSOP is certainly good enough for eggnog, it goes for ~$12

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I need to open, drink, and mostly kill my old fitz decanter bottle to start an infinity bottle

Walmart of all places has a pretty nice decanter for $8.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I got some Old Forester Rye, it's good

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I got Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (C920) and Ardbeg Uigeadail for Christmas. Never had either before, but after my first glass of each I'm very pleased.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

A bottle of Rittenhouse 100 is cheap as hell and it's a fantastic rye for the price

Rittenhouse and Old Forester 100 are my go-to cheap ryes.

Edit: speaking of rye, what do you all think about Whistlepig? I got the three piglets gift box (10, 12 old world, 15 estate oak) and while all three are enjoyable, I certainly wouldn't pick up any for the MSRP.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 14, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I haven't tried Willet but a friend described it as a $20 whiskey that comes in a $30 bottle.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Good god do they need to sort out their marketing team, though:

OUR WHISKY

DRIVEN BY OUR VIKING SOUL, WHAT WE MAKE IS THE PRODUCT OF OUR BATTLE FOR BALANCE, OUR DESIRE FOR HARMONY.

AND FENDER AMPS

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Semi-new whiskey drinker here; I'm getting an unexpected bonus at work and want to spend a little of it on it on a new bottle. Bourbon or scotch, I've currently got Uigeadail and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof so maybe an unpeated single malt or good blended Scotch? What's your favorite bottle for $50-75ish?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

I read that a "a handy" and was really confused for a second. All the BTAC bottles are great and I wish it was possible to find a bottle ever. I always wonder what kind of job these fb group dudes have to be able to hop down to a liquor store at like 11am on a weekday whenever.

Easy enough if you work at the liquor store.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

There's a couple posts on reddit about Glendronach dropping the non-chill filtered label. I just picked up a bottle of 12 and it still has it, so if it's the kind of thing to bother you, might be time to stock up while old bottles are still on the shelf.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I have had Wild Turkey

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Tomatin 12 is perfectly fair for the $40 or so it goes for, but don't expect much more than that.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Glenmorangie 10 was my first single malt, and the box came with a pretty nice glass and a taster bottle of the Lasanta. Not a bad deal.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

First place I'd try is the "contact us" link on Glenlivets website.

They do have this story about an old bottle someone found that's dated to between 1908 and the 1930s - I don't see an age statement on the label. Glenlivet Mystery Bottle

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I like their 100 proof rye as well

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

field balm posted:

Picked up a bottle of laphroaig 10 for my first shot at islay. Honestly I thought I'd have more difficulty with it, the bandaid-y note I'm not sold on but I looooove the lingering charcoal finish. Enjoying it a lot!

Try Ardbeg 10 next, I get less of the medicinal note and more charcoal/ash.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I was just at a liquor store and they had Dickel Tabasco-barrel finished on clearance for $6. How bad could it be? (I did not decide to find out)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

GD_American posted:

So since we all appreciate the Dickel BiB, uh....I saw Evan Williams BiB on a shelf.

Anyone try?

Good stuff. Most places around here price them the same so I tend to prefer WT101 but you can't go wrong with either.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

wormil posted:

I went to a "speakeasy" style bar, whatever that means

It means you've been transported back to 2010, and you'd better get ready to pay $16 for a cocktail

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Midwinter sat on shelves for MSRP for at least a month around here (NJ); hopefully the hype train still hasn't reached us yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

:lol: if you think most of those bottles are being consumed instead of put on a shelf