Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I didn't notice much in the OP, so can someone give me a quick introduction to learning more about rye whiskey?

I tend to prefer peaty, Islay Scotch, and on that note someone gave me some Pigwhistle a couple nights ago. It was a very happy find for me, and also a realization that I don't know much about rye whiskey at all. I'll probably end up with a bottle of Pigwhistle sometime soon, but I'd like to learn more about rye whiskey in general (and hopefully find some less expensive bottles to buy as well). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: on an unrelated note, what do people think about whiskey stones? A friend bought some for me, but so far I've only used them with tequila. I'm not super hung up on "drinking the proper way" and I'll throw in an ice cube or two when I feel like it, but do the stones have any detrimental affects I'm probably completely unaware of?

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for the rye education. It looks like a couple places around me sell Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, so I'll probably pick up a bottle in the next few days.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I like to buy the 1.75l bottles of Speyburn 10 at Costco for 35 bucks.

We have decent-sized gatherings fairly often. This might be wrong, but I use it for people who are somewhat neutral when I ask if anyone wants to sip some scotch. I love sharing whisky with friends, but I don't want to share good stuff with 10 people when only 4 or 5 will really enjoy it. Speyburn is the answer for those neutral people.

Plus, I just leave it out of the cabinet and if anyone wants a refill I just tell them to help themselves.

As to the actual taste, it is about what I expect for the price. I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't get it extra cheap at Costco though.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

pork never goes bad posted:

What is the price of Glenlivet at Costco? Couldn't you pour that? Or one of the many, many inexpensive blends? There are a few that aren't bad.

If I found it for the same price, I would get Glenlivet over Speyburn in a second. I just haven't found it at the same price. But a 1.75L handle is $35.00, which would be spending $15.00 for a 750mL bottle. Not a bad price for party scotch.

To be fair, I've only bought the bottle once, and part of it was a joke for a few of my drinking buddies. The bottle is comically big when it sits in a liquor cabinet, lording over all of the other booze.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

wormil posted:

I might buy it again at that price but it's $29 loving dollars here, I was so disappointed in it.

Yeah, for $29 you can find much better Scotch. I got mine for basically $15, and $20 is about as high as I would go with it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

wormil posted:

Here you can't. The next cheapest would be Glenlivet 12 for $10 more. They have single malts between but I would have to buy them by the case.

Yeah, that would make it a bit tougher. I sometimes forget how much liquor prices can vary place to place, especially if you live somewhere that doesn't allow shipping.

Also, for your Irish Whiskey recommendations, I can recommend adding Clontarf Single Malt. Clontarf and Redbreast were my Irish whiskeys of choice for a while, and I believe the Single Malt is slightly less expensive than Redbreast 12. According to a couple of my friends, Redbreast is Irish Whiskey for people who are coming from Jameson, and Clontarf is Irish Whiskey for people who are coming from Johnnie Walker.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 9, 2012

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Jahoodie posted:

Where are you where that stuff just sits about? Completely serious.

I'm in Los Angeles, and I know a few people at a couple of the better wine/spirit shops around here. That said, I wasn't actually able to get a bottle over the weekend, as our friend was hired for a last minute private whiskey tasting event and needed the last of the bottles. Hopefully soon, though.

Also, for whoever recommended the Bulleit Rye, thanks. It's pretty great for its price, and I picked up a bottle.

I also had a glass of Michter's Single Barrell US-1 with the same friend. It is a little sweet for my taste. I actually prefer the Bulleit, especially with the Bulleit being about $20 cheaper.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know how easy it is to find, but Clontarf Single Malt and Redbreast 12 are my two favorite Irish whiskeys.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Old Man Pants posted:

Whiskey only from left to right: (there is other booze on this shelf)

Is that Chamucos Reposado you have there? I love that tequila.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Capt Murphy posted:

I'm looking to build up my collection, does anyone have some small batch recommendations or lesser known stuff that doesn't get the love it deserves? I've got a lot of love to give bourbon.

The current Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel runs around $40-45 a bottle and is excellent. As in everyone at the local wine house was raving about it for a couple weeks before it came in, one of my friends declared it the best whiskey he has ever tasted, and I know a few other people who have loved it as well. For the record, after I opened my first bottle I went back and bought two more, since I didn't know when my local place would run out of the current batch.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Capt Murphy posted:

Just snagged the last bottle of this from my local liquor store and had a little glass to start my Friday evening off. I want to hug you right now, this is delicious.

It really is one of the best drinks I've ever had. I remember after the first sip I looked at my liquor cabinet and thought "well, I guess I'm not drinking much from those other bottles anytime soon."

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Huxley posted:

You enjoy it by flipping it for $750. There is absolutely no way you will feel good about yourself drinking a that bottle unless you would have been perfectly happy buying it for $750 in the first place. Sell it, go buy a handle of Weller 12, and put $600 profit toward your mortgage.

Or that's what I would do, at least. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, for sure, and for some folks that is priceless. If so, enjoy!

Depending on where you are, use the profit to travel to a bar that has Pappy in stock and order a glass. Lot cheaper one-in-a-lifetime experience. If you can't think of where to go, I suggest New Orleans - I know at least a couple of bars there that have it permanently on the shelf.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

GEEKABALL posted:

I'm going to need the names of those bars please.

The Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel (right across the street from the French District) has had both the 15 and the 23(or whatever the age is around there) in stock the last two times I was in New Orleans (both within the last two years). The Napoleon House (south-ish part of French District) also had the 15 last time I was there.

Of course, you should really save your money and order a Sazerac from the former and a Pimms Cup from the latter, but if you really want to try Pappy, that's a way.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

More from the Bottle Rocket tastings. 2 Michter's offerings (which are apparently coming out for the first time in like 20 years or something.) No age statement on either.

On the Right Michters American whiskey, told by the rep it's about 5 years old in "Bourbon Soaked Barrels"? maybe he said Bourbon Oak Barrels. Mostly wheat mashbill and pretty boring. Approachable but not much there. Very little spice, anything else. Taste falls flat and grassy. Long finish but becomes oily fast. Very weak, cannot recommend.

Michters Sour mash is much shorter finish, also apparently 5 years ish, new charred oak barrels. It doesn't go as oily and flat as the wheat whiskey. Definitely better, more interesting and complex mashbill here, with a couple nice corn notes. Cleaner taste overall but I can't recommend this one either. It's SO blah. Would probably make a decent cocktail but at $42 probably too much for that. For a little bit more I could definitely get a top shelfy tasting mixer, and cheaper stuff is plenty palatable in that context.

If you want an awesome wheat whiskey, go for Bernheim.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is underwhelmed by everything I've had from Michters.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Willett Family Estate Rye is one of my favorite whiskeys on the market. I bought the two bottles I have for around $45 - $50, but I think the price has gone up considerably since then. I also have only had the four year old version. From what I understand they started selling younger versions to keep up with demand, but I have no idea if they are any worse than the four year version. For what it's worth in regard to pricing, though, I'd take the Willett over Whistlepig any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Argyle posted:

I'd like to pick up a nice-ish bottle of something for my upcoming 30th birthday. I've had my eye on a bottle of Whistle Pig for some time, even though I haven't actually tried it yet. Any recommendations for a rye or bourbon in the ~$100 bottle range?

Going to quote myself from up the page. If you are really set on going that high in price for bourbon or rye, I'd find a really good local shop and get their recommendations for something special.

I'd also probably just go for two nice bottles in the 40-60 range myself. Throw in a nice rum or tequila with the rye.

Voodoofly posted:

Willett Family Estate Rye is one of my favorite whiskeys on the market. I bought the two bottles I have for around $45 - $50, but I think the price has gone up considerably since then. I also have only had the four year old version. From what I understand they started selling younger versions to keep up with demand, but I have no idea if they are any worse than the four year version. For what it's worth in regard to pricing, though, I'd take the Willett over Whistlepig any day.