Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I went to a tasting to learn something about scotch, and I think it might have converted me. The problem is I'm not quite sure where to go next. In addition to the old stuff that I definitely can't afford, I really enjoyed Benromach Hermitage, but don't know what that means. Any recommendations for places to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Thanks for the recommendations Jo3sh and biglads; that will give me some places to start when I head back to the whisky store.

We did talk a fair amount about barrels. It was a Gordon & MacPhail testing and I'm pretty sure barrels were their rep's favorite topic. He seemed to know his stuff, but the tasting didn't include a general overview for a scotch newbie, so I have some general research to do (drink).

I'm trying to convince my wife that decent scotch is, on a per-drink-basis, cheaper than wine.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

ACE Spirits is selling a 23 Year Old Kininvie for $75 (https://www.acespirits.com/kininvie-23-year-old-single-malt-scotch-375ml.html).

Their email said, "We love Kininvie 23, but it was a bit expensive and as a result unless people had tried it before, it was a tough sell. Bu with our supplier closing it out, we gobbled up every bottle we could get and halved the price. An elegant Speyside whisky that delivers a bit of sherry sweetness, but nothing overpowering. A cracking dram."

slothzilla fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2018

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I'm pleasantly surprised how drinkable Mellow Corn is. Thanks goons.