Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
My local shop has a bunch of bottles of Bruichladdich The Laddie 16 for $88. Is this a good deal since it's discontinued?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
Hello. I did a thing last night and bought and tried Laphroaig 18, Bruichladdich Laddie 16 and some bourbon. This is the first time I've ever done tasting notes. Enjoy!

Rowan's Creek Bourbon
Nose is small buttery brown sugar bubble gum.
Taste is spicy sweet banana and cherries.
Finish is medium with a richer dark chocolate cherry taste.
Overall: One of my favorite bourbons for it's spicy/sweet mix going on.

Bruichladdich The Laddie Sixteen Scotch
Nose was medium and herbal with some peat but also light hay/grass kind of thing going on.
Taste was not as subtle as the nose and you get that islay peat smoke with a little coffee and licorice?
Finish was long chocolate and woodsy.
Overall: Really enjoyed it for it's complexity. Looking forward to going back.

Wathen's Bourbon
Nose was very small. Not a lot going on except a little banana loaf caramel smell.
Taste was really tight, needed some time to open up plus a little water but once it opened there was spice, cinnamon, leather there...
Finish was long and sugary caramel toffee.
Overall: Not a huge fan.

Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon
Nose was small and major vanilla. Which is what it also tasted like. Not very complex.
The taste was very smooth and big on vanilla with a little pepper.
Long oaky finish.
Overall: This is a simple, smooth bourbon with major vanilla notes.

Laphroaig 18 Scotch
Nose is big, smoky, islay peat monster. Leather. Wet dog.
Taste was smoother than Laphroaig 10 but still somewhat tight I'd say. Added some water to see if I could break down the notes but I couldn't really find much other than the peat, smoke, oak, burnt wood and a slight rubber/medicinal note.
Finish was awesomely long and just like a big dry wool sweater in a rain storm. Some pepper, oak flavors?
Overall: I like Laphroaig a lot but it's only for special occasions.