Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive whisky that isn't too sweet. I really like the single malt scotches I picked up, a Laphroiag 10yr and Highland Park 12yr, but I'd like to have something a bit on the lower end of the price range for sharing freely. It seems like there are lots of recommendations for inexpensive but good bourbons--I've had and enjoyed Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Elijah Craig--while most other whisky discussion is on the pricier single malt scotches. Is there a blended scotch or something else sortof cheap I might try out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Midorka posted:

Laphroiag 10 year was smokey as gently caress iirc. I can't think of a bourbon similar, and honestly I don't think there's a scotch that's good under the $40 a 750ml. Scotch is vastly different than bourbon. Laphroiag is a scotch, so is Highland Park, but then you name 3 bourbons that you liked. I'm confused as to what you want. Honestly you're not going to find much better than Buffalo Trace for the price, but that's a bourbon, not a scotch...I don't think there's such a thing as a good cheap scotch.

Elijah Craig 12 year is probably more up your alley as Buffalo Trace was a bit sweet.

Sorry, I was mostly looking for a new whisky to try that wasn't too sweet and wasn't too expensive. I was listing the bourbons as examples of inexpensive whisky's I enjoyed, rather than the type of whisky I was actually looking for. So I guess that was confusing.

Basically, some kind of inexpensive scotch (which may not really be an option--I'll check out that black bottle stuff) or a less sweet bourbon than the ones I listed (if that exists) or something else I hadn't listed. My only criteria are: less sweet, good enough to drink on its own, and relatively inexpensive.

If there isn't anything out there like that, or, more likely, if I'm not describing what I'm looking for well enough for anyone to offer a good suggestions, I'll probably just try a rye whiskey as I've always been curious about those anyway.