Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I'm flying to Ireland in a month, and am trying to figure out what to bring back that I can't get stateside. I've already earmarked two bottles of the Bushmills distillery reserve. Any suggestions? Looking in the $50-100 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

So I find myself in Dublin for a few months and while I'm here it would be a shame to miss out on the awesome wider selection available to me (whiskey selection is VERY limited where I live full time).

Go to the Irish Whiskey Museum. In addition to a great tasting, I found the museum portion engaging and entertaining. Also, the last night I was there a place had a whiskey flight of Redbreast 15, Bushmills 21 and one other for a pretty reasonable price, for the novelty at least. I'll try to figure out where it was when I get home.

- edit it was The Bull and Castle.

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 21, 2016

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm going to Ireland in September. I really like Redbreast, Middleton, and Jameson. Are the distillery tours fun? I think there's only 2 right? Anything else I should check out?

If you're going to Northern Ireland, Bushmills is really close to the Giant's Causeway. Our bus tour didn't allow more than 30 min at the distillery, so can't speak to that tour.
Jameson's was a good tour, our guide was knowledgeable and funny. A lot more genuine than the rather corporate Guinness tour.
The best was the Irish Whiskey Museum tour in Dublin. Best tasting, most informative, and clearly put together with care and love.
Teeling Distillery is also in Dublin. I had a bottle of theirs in the States and I liked it, but didn't stop there.

Most importantly, don't worry about bringing back too much liquor. I told customs I had 5 liters, and after he checked I didn't say 5 5 liter bottles he waved me through.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

* A "white whiskey", which is basically just moonshine with a fancy name. It might not be the best experience, but you'll certainly experience it!

I highly recommend Ban Poitin, Irish moonshine. Picked up a bottle when I was in Ireland, and it is incredibly smooth for being half alcohol.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Friday night I celebrated the first paycheck of my new job by opening the bottle of Glendalough 13 I brought back from Ireland. It was like drinking a really great hug.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I've already posted this in the Europe travel megathread, but I'm planning on a two-week vacation to Ireland in late-August/September (dates still not confirmed since I have to square it with work) and was looking at visiting at least one distillery there. Are there any highly-recommended distillery tours there?

My plan is to circle the island in a rented car from Dublin to Cork, Galway, Derry, Belfast, and then back to Dublin. Anything on that path would be ideal, but even if it's an extra hour's drive wouldn't put me off (I'm Canadian, we drive everywhere).

The Irish Whiskey Museum in Dublin is really charming. It's not a distillery, but had a ton of history about the history of Irish whiskey. If the Guinness "tour" was expensive corporate marketing, the museum was built on a shoestring budget with as much love as possible.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I get my annual bonus on 4/15, and I like to buy a single expensive bottle of whiskey as a treat. In a striking coincidence, my local shop just struck up a deal with an importer to get French liquors, and are preselling a whiskey that's 5 years older than me for $150. What's funny is that this is also the place my friends and I would spend like $50 to get a pony keg of crap beer for college drinking. I am looking forward to not only seeing them again, but sharing this bottle while playing this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVNQVvyDWg

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

spankmeister posted:

There's a handful of French whisky distillers, they're alright I guess but nothing special.

This one's from Dartilagongue. And to fully admit to the egg on my face, there were whiskeys offered, this one is compared to whiskeys, but is actually an armagnac, which is closer to a brandy.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Back in college I used to make lunchboxes with our lovely keg beer, OJ and amaretto. Beer is a mixer.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Does your client have to bottle it, or can they just send the barrel with instructions on how to tap it? gently caress a kegerator when you can offer guests a quaff of your bourbon barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Driftless Glen and Dancing Goat in WI are doing some pretty good stuff.

I'm a big fan of another Wisconsin distillery, J Henry. Little more expensive, but it's my go-to for a nice quality bottle.