Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Have you guys seen this hit the stores yet? http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/index.php/2012/10/12/4269/george-dickel-rolls-out-a-new-rye/

I've been on a big rye kick lately and at 95% rye mash bill bottled at 90proof I want it so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MJP posted:

So I didn't like Laphroaig 10 years due to being too smokey, I liked Highland Park 15 for deep and caramelly flavors, Macallen 10 years Fine Oak for a light introductory body with enough smokeyness to be interesting, Balvenie Caribbean Cask for vanillaness and sparky kind of flavor. I'm totally open to recommendations for something else interesting up to $80ish.

Yamazaki 12 years was really good too, but from what people have told me it's pretty out there.

Any recommendations to help me develop my scotch tastes? Toying with Caol Ila but not sure which one, simply to branch out.

If you didn't like Laphroaig, you might not like Caol Ila. Maybe Bunnahabhain 12 would be fun to try since it is still an Islay but it is definitely the tamest of the Islays. Aberlour A'bunadh or Glendronach 15 would be nice if you wanted to explore the sherry finished scotches. Old Pultney or Clynelish are great coastal highlands if you wanted to explore something similar to Highland Park.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

quote:

keep retrying things; tastes change/adapt :words:

I am going through exactly that with ryes right now, I hated them the first time I tried them, now I love them. I was actually a huge peathead before this but I think I just burned out on them. Still really enjoy them, but I don't reach for a bottle of Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin when I want a dram at the end of the day.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Picked up some rittenhouse today. Not really that big of a fan. It's got a lot of flavor, and I dig the 100 proof bottling but it seems to have a sweeter backbone than the Templeton and Bulleit (rye) I'm comparing it to. So far, my fav has been the Bulleit. Any recommendations on a big, dry, spicy/peppery rye to try next? They have a bottle of Willett single barrel at local liquor store and I've liked their bourbons. Is that worth trying? Trying to hunt down a bottle of one of the Old Potrero offerings.

Edit:
Also saw these. They caught my eye enough to take a picture, though I'm not sure I would try them anytime soon.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 9, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

When I think of Dalwhinnie I think of honeyed sweetness so I would say something like Glenmorangie, either the standard 10 year bottling, or if you want extra sweet notes and don't mind spending a bit more, the Sauturnes cask finished Nectar d'Or.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Picked up some rittenhouse today. Not really that big of a fan. It's got a lot of flavor, and I dig the 100 proof bottling but it seems to have a sweeter backbone than the Templeton and Bulleit (rye) I'm comparing it to. So far, my fav has been the Bulleit. Any recommendations on a big, dry, spicy/peppery rye to try next? They have a bottle of Willett single barrel at local liquor store and I've liked their bourbons. Is that worth trying? Trying to hunt down a bottle of one of the Old Potrero offerings.

Looks like I'm alone on my rye journey but I'll keep updating in case anyone cares. I passed by a BevMo today on the way back from a meeting and they had a bottle of High West Double Rye. Priced pretty well considering the reputation of High West. Excited to try it later.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Let us know what the Laphroiag 18 is like, I can imagine it being absolutely lovely. Never heard of Alligator, but being from Ardbeg I can't imagine it being anything short of gorgeous.

I went to a complimentary tasting for Friends of Laphroaig at the Seven Grand in LA and got to taste the entire line (10, 10 CS, QC, TW, 18, 25) and they also poured two Glenfarclases (18 and 25) to compare age statements to. My favorite for the night was most certainly the Laphroig 18. It's been 3 years now since I've had it, but I remember it being very balanced, with those medicinal briny laphroaig notes tempered with wood sweetness and it being quite velvety feeling in the mouth. Great stuff. The 25 was also fantastic but I thought for the price point, 18 was definitely the best.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Apologies for wall-o-text!

I'm a bit late getting to this, but I wanted to say thanks to all of the goons here for the information and their recommendations. With a passing interest in Whiskey I stumbled across this thread late last year, and read through the whole thing. Thanks to all of the recommendations I wound up with a bottle of Highland Park 12yr and Four Roses single barrel for Christmas!

With my only memorable whiskey experience coming from someone who had me try some Jack Daniels and Jim Beam Black a few years ago I wasn't sure what to expect. I really liked the fruity spiciness of the Four Roses.

Having never tasted a scotch I was actually a bit more excited / intrigued to taste the High Land Park. I'd start by describing it as a bit of a challenge to wrap my head around. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't necessarily ready to pour another dram after drinking it. I'm not sure I could pick out / describe the peat, but there was a definite prominent flavor and aroma I hadn't experienced and would have trouble describing. I'm assuming that was the peat. I also definitely tasted the smokiness of it and liked that aspect well enough. I think at least for now the Four Roses is something I will definitely sit and drink on it's own, but the Highland Park I'll have to work towards, probably drinking along with a meal.

Also, in regards to both the Four Roses and the Highland Park, I was very surprised by the lack of uncomfortable burn in my chest. The warmth from both was actually quite pleasant. Is this typical of better Whiskeys and Scotches? I remember the Jack Daniels being pretty hot/harsh, but maybe that's just my memory over time.

Lastly, the other thing that really peaked my interest into whiskey besides this thread is that my favorite restaurant also has quite and extensive whiskey / scotch selection (see below). Anyone see anything on these lists that I should try other than just picking things at random?

Scotch:
Auchentoshan, Glenkinchie 10YR, Aberlour 12YR, Balvenie Doublewood 12YR, Cragganmore 12YR, Dalmore 12YR, Dalwhinnie 15YR, Glenfiddich 12YR, Glenfiddich 15YR, Glenfiddich 21YR, Glengoyne 10YR, Glenlivet 12YR, Glenlivet 18YR, Glenmorangie 10YR, Glenmorangie 18YR, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Aged In Port Wood), Glenmorangie Lasanta (Aged In Sherry Wood), Glenrothes, Glen Ord, Highland Park 12YR, Isle of Jura 12YR, MaCallan 12YR, Macallan 18YR, Macallan 25YR, Oban 14YR, Royal Lochnager,
Speyburn 10YR, Ardbeg 10YR, Bowmore Legend, Bowmore 21YR, Laphroaig 10YR, Lagavulin 16YR, Glenmorangie Nectar D'or 12YR, Talisker 10YR, Cardhu 12YR, Glenlivet 16YR Nadurra, Glenlivet 21YR

Bourbon:
Blanton's Proof 93, Baker's Proof 107, Booker's Proof 121 to 128, Knob Creek Proof 100, Basil Hayden Proof 80, Bulleit, Bourbon Proof 90, Benchmark Proof 80, Buffalo Trace Proof 90, Eagle Rare Proof 90, Elijah Craig Proof 94, Evan Williams Single Barrel Proof 86.6, Four Roses Proof 90, George Dickle 12 Proof 90, George Dickle 8 Proof 80, Maker's Mark Proof 90,
Maker's Mark 46 Proof 94, Gentleman Jack Proof 80, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Proof 94, Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Proof 93.7, Russell's Reserve Proof 90, Wild Turkey American Honey Proof 71, Wild Turkey 101 Proof 101, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Proof 108.2, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Proof 101, Old Grand Dad Proof 86, Woodford Reserve Proof 90.4, Van Winkle Rye Whiskey Proof 95.6, Bulleit Rye Proof 95, Woodfod Reserve Proprietors Blend

So there are two ways you could do this, I suppose. People are recommending going and getting an array of things which would be good for a first time, but you can also do regional or style tastings if you wanted.

I would break it up into sessions, if you don't mind going a few times.

I would try the Balvenie Doublewood, the Aberlour 12, the Glenmorangie Lasanta, and the Macallan 12 one day (sherried speys) Maybe the Dalmore.

then: HP 12, Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg 10, Bowmore Legend, Laphroaig 10. (intro to peat)

Maybe: all of the glenmorangies (the effect of age and 2nd barrel "finishing") I would do 10, Nectar d'Or, LaSanta, Quinta Ruban, then 18.

You can kinda tell the curator of the whisky collection isn't the biggest fan of smokey or spicy whiskies based on what he has. Not too many Islays or Ryes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Angel's Envy is pretty far from "traditional." I don't really care for it personally. What is it about bourbon you dont like, generally? You said you like rye, maybe a higher rye content in the mashbill might be your thing. If that's the case, you probably wont like wheaters like Larceny, Weller, etc. Like wormil said, the benchmark bourbs like EC12, WT101, 4RSB are all great places to start as they're "classic" expressions.

EC Small Batch Barrel Proof won whiskey advocate's whiskey of the year with batch B517. You might be able to find a bottle of it.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 5, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fuckin pappymania. Weller has been so hard to find around here lately, all expressions of it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone else have a flaviar sub? I joined on black friday mostly for the two free tasting boxes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Picked up some of this on the way home from work.

The oldest age statement bourbon I've ever had and it shows. Pretty incredible. Oily texture. Banana and spices on the nose. Long leathery sawdusty finish. Had plenty of old scotches but the Virgin oak part of bourbon requirements I'm assuming is what makes this have both young and old whisky traits?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Which batch of EC Barrel Proof did you get? B517 was whisky of the year on whiskey advocate.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

So I ended up with a bottle of Woodford Reserve, and while I enjoyed it somewhat, it was a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Are there less sweet Whiskeys or Scotch that you'd recommend? Or just balanced sweetness with smokiness or something.

What do you like about the bourbon? if you like the pepperyness and floral aspects you might like rye. Find something with as high rye in the mash bill as you can, because it's probably the corn in the mash you dont like. Otherwise, scotch is great, it generally wont be as aggressive spicy and younger ones wont be as woody because they use used oak (usually bourbon barrels, too) where bourbon uses virgin oak but if you're looking for smokiness, islays are smoke bombs, balcones brimstone is a texas whisky smoked with oak and I loved it when I tried some, tasted like smokey espresso. If you want something balanced, Highland Park is the go to a-little-bit-of-everything scotch. I would stay away from sherry finished whiskies like balvenie, aberlour, or some of the macallans.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Speaking of mash bills, I've seen the Corsair quinoa whiskey a few times in the wild. Has anyone tried it before?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Does Jeffersons no longer make their Straight Rye offering? I recall it was basically Whistlepig with a lower alcohol percentage for a far lower price.

I have about half a bottle of this offering from a few years ago. It was my favorite "affordable" rye at the time. I, too, haven't seen it on a shelf in forever. Reached out to Jeffersons last week about it. Here's their response.

:gonk:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Looking for a whisky to get my BiL for xmas. He prefers to drink with rocks, so I'm leaning towards a cask strength thing. Maybe Booker's or High West American Prairie? Any other recs? specifically something I can get from K&L and delivered to the bay area.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't care for ice mostly because it chills the whisky and the rate of dilution is unpredictable. A splash of water is a specific amount of dilution that doesnt change temperature or dilution over time.

drink however you want though, that's just my pref.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

You all that can have multiple bottles going and can leave a little bit at the bottom of a bottle are impressive. That poo poo does not last long enough at my house.

buy more. :v:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

OSheaman posted:

This has probably been covered in the thread before, but: for someone who is kind of educated but not really about whiskey, what books would you recommend that are both good factually but also not so dense that I'd fall asleep after a few pages? I'm primarily interested in learning more about whiskey as a bartender/consumer rather than getting into the distilling business myself, if that narrows things down.

I like ralfy on the utubz. He's great. Not a book but it's where I've learned a lot from.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've been digging It's Bourbon Night, too, but they're less informative about whisky knowledge and more about just fun people to watch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I want to try a bourbon with some decent age on it. Any suggestions for a 15+ year age statement, preferably cask strength. I'm not picky, but the age statements on the pappy's have me curious about older Bourbons.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 23, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

2DCAT posted:

Very good Christmas haul imo

Holy loving poo poo

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I picked up a bottle of OGD 114 today so I guess you can say we both scored about the same :smith:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Silly programs are fun. I own part of the Laphroaig bog ya know :smuggo:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Generally anything distilled from alcohol produced by fermenting grain is a whiskey, like anything distilled from fermented fruit is a brandy. So Corsair's Oatrage and Quinoa whiskeys are both whiskeys. Oddly, buckwheat is not technically a grain, so there's been some argument about whether or not spirits distilled from buckwheat is actually a whiskey.

Re: Rice whiskey, I came across Kikori when I was perusing bottles on Flaviar. It looked really interesting, also a barrel aged Japanese rice whiskey. Any experiences with it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

Anything that is distilled from fermented fruit is an eau-de-vie. It must be aged to be a brandy. Generally I would consider the same thing for whisky, but there are more and more "white whiskies", so who really knows?

fair enough.

#MakeWhiskeyAgedAgain

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kinda wanna experiment with micro barrels and grain vodka now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

With the snobbery around the "single malt" part of scotch, I'm kinda surprised single grain whiskies arent more popular

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

100% one grain. So, ryes have been catching on that. 100% Corn whiskies/moonshine, at least where I am, aren't popular. Or like bernheim wheat etc

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

Okay just was wondering because single in single malt had nothing to do with what grains are used

I thought it was 100 % malted barley from one growing season.

It's kind of apples and oranges, but the nerd in me that wants to dissect everything thinks it would be cool to isolate diff effects. Like scotch is mostly refill barrels, bourb is required to be new fill. Non Virgin oak means it needs a lot longer to age, that increased age might mean that terroir is more evident, etc.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Not being a smart rear end here, but isn't faster aging a good thing? Why would you want your 2 year product to taste like 2 years when it could taste like 4? I mean a 2 year that tastes like a 4 just means you can put out a higher quality whiskey in half the time, that seems like a huge advantage.

I'm sure I'm missing something from your story. Was it loving with the flavor in a bad way instead of a delicious way?

I think "good" is subjective. Obv the scotch folk dont think it's good because they dont generally like quarter casks or first fill casks (though that is changing). Could also be that they don't like more aggressive wood notes that first fill and smaller casks impart. The temp swings are important, too, based on what they say, though I'm not convinced it's because of the reasons they give. They say larger swings in temp cause the spirit to "penetrate the wood more", which is kind of silly considering it's in the barrel for years. Just a guess, but I would think it more has to do with the solubility rate of wood sugars, or maybe some other chemical process with the wood and alcohol (does wood degrade in the presence of alcohol?). Either way, many of them make a big deal about where in the warehouse the barrels are aged and the barrels that go to premium bourbons like pappy or that BTAC etc are generally in the center of the warehouse or the basement because of less temperature swing (so I hear).