Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I've just finished my first bottle of single malt, a Benromach 10 yr old that was recommended to me by the manager of my local whiskey shop. I loved it; sweet caramel notes with a subtle smokiness, it was brilliant.

Now I want to branch out to something else, something in the 10-12 yr range around £30. Can anyone recommend something similar yet distinct to the Benromach or if not their favourite bottle at that price point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Kraven Moorhed posted:

On a non-rye note, I decided to get a lower-shelf scotch to have a budget option on deck while exploring something new. I remembered reading that Black Grouse was pretty good, but they only had 1.75L bottles so I went with Famouse Grouse. This could grow on me, but it starts off almost cloyingly sweet. Are there any other scotches in that price range (20-30) that are worth giving a whirl? Here is a list of everything available in-state, though my store won't have everything listed. So far I've enjoyed Glenfiddich the most, Glenlivet was pretty decent, and Johnny Walker Red and Black were kinda poo poo. Dewars was also too sweet for me, if I recall.

Personally I would never recommend Famous Grouse. My Grandad drinks it like water, but I suspect he's in it for the effect on his head rather than the appreciation of good whisky.

From that list and taking into account your price range I'd recommend Chivas Regal as a decent blend. If you want to stump up an extra $10 then go for Glenmorangie 10 year.