Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

Ardbeg Uigeadail

My absolute favorite bottle of whisky on this planet. drat, I love Ardbeg, Uigeadail especially.

I don't suppose anyone's tried the Supernova? I've been looking for a trip report. It's like an even heavier peat version of Ardbeg that I'd somehow managed to never know about until fairly recently. Hell, do they even sell it in the US? I haven't seen it in upstate NY, but with my money situation lately I haven't exactly gone on a hunt for it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Wild Turkey 101 is always a great place to start with bourbon. Not sure about the rye though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Deleuzionist posted:

If the gossip on a local whisky forum turns out to be true there's a 3rd edition of Supernova coming later this year.

Oh :hellyeah:

I've GOT to try that poo poo, especially after reading KFC's post.

Also, back on the Bourbon front:
It's nothing super special but a friend and I split a pint of Jim Beam Devil's Cut last night. drat good for the price (375 bottle for $13 ain't bad in New York).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

That criticism is exactly how I feel about Blue. It's too smooth and for $200 a bottle I expect some serious character that just isn't there.

Yeah, I tried it once, thankfully from someone else's bottle. I've got the same complaint exactly, and definitely can't justify spending that kind of money for it when things like Ardbeg are out there for less than half the price.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

CrandleBerries posted:

Bought this on a whim for $20 at Safeway tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Nice and mellow fruity Single Malt with complexity. Anyone else give this a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJowj18Lq0

Speyburn is really good for a limited budget. Like kidsafe said, probably the best single malt you'll find at that price (maybe even the best you'll find anywhere under about $40). I've had it a few times when I didn't want to spend the money on Ardbeg or Jameson.

It's a bit... eh, I don't know what word pro tasters would use, but I'm gonna go with "loud". Sharp on the tongue for sure, but not to the point that it bothered me. Then again, I'm not really all that picky and don't always have to have something really boring and smooth.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 10, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Deleuzionist posted:

My status as a consultant ended yesterday when I signed a contract to continue as salaried where I work, plus they agreed to my salary request, so felt it was time to celebrate. I've had my eyes on this baby for a while, having tasted it before at least on 3 occasions.

:drat:

I won't be able to afford that any time soon, so please tell us about it when you crack that fucker open.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've made quite a few posts lately extolling the virtues of Wild Turkey 101 to those curious about bourbon, but I realized it's been over a year since I've had any myself.

Still pretty much the best drat thing you can drink for $30.

Y'all purists can laugh at my ice cubes. I've just always drank it that way.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Laminator posted:

My friend is graduating medical school tomorrow, so I decided to get him a bottle of Oban 14. Did I do good?

Yes, yes you did. Good bottle, there.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Wadjamaloo posted:

Where are you located and what do other bottles cost?
Here in CA, Wild Turkey is around $20, but can usually be found on sale for $18. Its not priced much higher than Jack Daniels.

I'm in upstate NY. Wild Turkey 81 is several dollars cheaper and so is Jack, but WT101 costs right around $30 at my local store. It's a little cheaper if I go to one of the big stores in Albany but I'd lose that extra money in bus fare.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
For a good peaty scotch, you won't need to spend that much money. Ardbeg Uigeadail is the best of them and you can generally find it for like $85 or less. Might be significantly cheaper elsewhere for all I know, I live in New York.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 3, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I bought some cask strength single barrel Kilchoman online from K&L and I enjoy it more than any of my Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Lagavulin. They also have the Uigeadail for $55.

55? Holy loving poo poo.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My brother bought me the Wild Turkey 101 gift box for christmas.

I love my brother.

e: Alright, I've realized that with as many bourbons as I've had (and since my last post on it about a year ago I've actually AVOIDED IT, just so I don't get too wrapped up on it) man, I really think this is the best one. I've tried all that expensive bourbon that tries to pose itself as old school single malt scotch, and I've drank pretty much all the cheap stuff at this point. There really just isn't anything quite like a good ol' bottle of Wild Turkey 101.

I like a lot of things, but WT101 on ice is probably my favorite alcohol ever. There's just nothing quite like it.

I guess I'm just a simple dude with simple tastes.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 21, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ralith posted:

It's not like the more expensive stuff is objectively better or something. If you like something with a lower market positioning, all the better for you!

Honestly, with some liquor that's really true - more money generally means better booze. In the case of bourbon that's just not it, though. It's really the poor man's Good Liquor. The best is usually easy to find for under 30 dollars a bottle.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Happy Birthday to me!

Girlfriend surprised me with a bottle of Glenlivit 21 year old Archive. First impression is the aroma is quite fruity and with zero smokiness or peaty characters. Tasted this neat and the taste really impressed me. Sweet, almost honey like fruity flavours initially and then a clean but slightly nutty and spicy finish to the fruit flavours. Stayed around with a lovely warm feeling in the mouth. Only very new to drinking scotch but I reckon this style of Whisky is where my tastes lie...

OOoooooh, speaking of expensive, the Glenlivet 21 is a VERY good bottle. It's one of my favorites when it comes to scotch (Ardbeg will always be the best though), and I hope you enjoy it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I had forgotten the simple wonder of Laphroaig 10. I like Ardbeg better, but the distance between them only grew because I'd gone so long without Ardbeg. With proper perspective, having had both of them recently, Laphroiag seems even better than it did before, or at least in comparison. It's a very, very solid scotch. I'm about to kill this bottle, and I have no regrets. :)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a big fan of scotch, especially islay malts, but lately I've been on a bourbon kick. I had some Wild Turkey 101 last month, shared a bottle of Maker's Mark with a friend a couple weeks ago, and today I went full on "gently caress it" because I haven't had one in at least a little while, and got a good ol' fifth of Jim Beam.

I love Kentucky Bourbon and I cannot lie.

spankmeister posted:

I ain't got nothing to say about that but Kentucky Bourbon is better than Tennessee Whiskey.

Absolute loving truth.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

kidsafe posted:

Compass Box Peat Monster (it's mild compared to Laphroaig/Ardbeg.)

Any of the peated BenRiachs.

Maybe Jura.
All of those are good, but I guess I just got so hard into the more peaty scotches that I can't go back now. Ardbeg and Lagavulin are among my favourites and so is Laphroiag. Great, great scotch. I haven't tried BenRiachs yet, is that something I should turn my eye toward?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

kidsafe posted:

Think of BenRiach as Glendronach's sister distillery with less of a focus on sherry bombs and more experimentation.
poo poo, I'd like to drink that. Noted.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Give Wild Turkey 81 a go.
I have before, and it's okay, but when you've got 101 right next to it for only a few dollars more it's hard to ever actually spend money on a bottle of 81. WT101 is one of the greatest whiskeys in america (to me it's the KING of not-$100-a-bottle bourbon) and WT81 is just... eh... there. It's not BAD by any measure but... why?

e: Hell now that I think of it, that time I got WT81 was because the little mom & pop liquor store had run out of 101. That's really the only reason I could see myself buying it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, that's an awkward question. There's no real substitute for WT101. Wild Turkey 81 is a good whiskey, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the same. It's good. It's better than most of even your mid-shelf options but i'd take Jim Beam over it any day of the week, honestly. It just doesn't have the depth of flavour that 101 has and the difference between them becomes immediately apparent with the first sip.

Basically, if you've had 101 before, prepare to be disappointed. That said, if your other options are crap like jack daniels and/or whatever tennessee bullfuck, yeah, buy that WT81 and enjoy it. It's far from bad, I just never buy it because it's six inches away from WT101 at my local liquor store.