Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

OSheaman posted:

I should clarify: I enjoy specific reviews, but I'm more looking to get into the nuts and bolts of whiskey, how it works, what the different styles are, how to talk about whiskey to laymen, maybe some good non-classic whiskey cocktails, etc etc etc. Rather than an individual opinion about Buffalo Trace, if that makes sense.

Canadian Whisky by Davin de Kergommeaux is the definitive book on the whiskies of the Great White North.

I never used to like whisky, but lately I've been really into Forty Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Cheers to everyone who recommended WT101 in this thread. It's surprisingly cheap here in BC, and I like it better than any other bourbon I've tried so far.

Evan Williams 1783 and Single Barrel get a lot of love in here, but is the regular black label good too? I noticed recently that BCL has it for a very reasonable price.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Enigma posted:

If you like WT101 definitely try Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel. They're even higher on the rye scale, which is what appeals to me the most about WT101.

I've never seen Four Roses here. BCL does have Rittenhouse, but I'm leery of paying $55 CDN for it.

I'll have to start checking out the smaller private stores around here to see what they have. I've found some nice BA stouts and similar rare beers collecting dust in a few places.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

wormil posted:

Old Grandad 100 is very similar to 101. Fighting Cock 103 is a WT ripoff that is better than Evan Williams.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Old Grand Dad Bonded is hands down the best cheap bourbon. It's better than most bourbons at next price tier as well, imo.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to find either of these, but I can get the standard OGD. Is that one worth buying?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I really love Redbreast 12. Is there something similar besides the older Redbreasts? Doesn't have to be an Irish whiskey either.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Thanks all for the recommendations. Glendronach 12 and Green Spot are both on sale at BCL right now, so I'll definitely be getting one of those 2.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm kind of surprised by the redbreast love. After years of hype and not being able to get it in Canada, I was finally able to get a bottle, and its just really really meh. Just kind of bland and not very memorable. I feel the same way about Jamesons, but drink a ton of it since most bars seem to have it on special all the time.

I'm also very disappointed in the state of Canadian whiskey. For a people who love rye and cokes and double rye and gingers (if you are from Saskatchewan) we don't make much that's worth a drat. The only Canadian whiskey I would recommend to people is Alberta Premium which for the longest time was the only 100% rye out there.

Everyone's got their own personal taste, but really, Alberta Premium? Forty Creek is way better, and only $2 more around here.

Alberta Premium is the poo poo you drink out of a plastic bottle at the back of the bus.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I dunno guys, the only time I ever see Alberta Premium is in plastic mickeys, usually on public transit or in someone's coat pocket at a show. I bought some out of curiosity not too long ago, and I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

As a proud Canadian, I can say that Canadian whisky is pretty much crap. I'll take a cheap bourbon over most Canadian stuff, and once you get into mid-grade bourbons and scotches there's absolutely no comparison.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I got a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye not too long ago that had a bad cork. It had partially broken apart and dropped a bunch of fine particles into the liquor. I replaced the cork, but I wasn't sure what to do about the particles, so I ended up pouring it through a couple coffee filters, which seemed to remove most of the "dust." Was this safe to do? Is there a better method for filtering liquor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

wormil posted:

I would have taken it back to the store and/or notified WT.

I would have done that too, but I opened it and had a drink before noticing the sediment in the bottom.