Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I a heathen for planning on making a Manhattan with Woodford Reserve?

Naw, go for it, it'll probably taste great! I made a Rob Roy last night with some Glenlivet 15 and a dash of orange bitters, nice change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Kenning posted:

Try to find some Finlaggan. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. It's rumored to be either a young Ardbeg or a young Lagavulin. In any case it's <$20 for a single Islay malt.

I'm glad I found Finlaggan awhile ago as my first foray into the peaty world of Islay's, because I really, really did not enjoy it. I've tried time and again with it, but I just can't get my palette around it. All I get out of it is an overwhelming amount of smoke. I still have like 1/2 a bottle in the back of the liquor cabinet, and it'll probably stay that way for awhile.

From what I've tasted, I think Highland Park 12 is about as far on the peat side of things I can go, and still enjoy it.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

kidsafe posted:

Glen Grant 10yr is so common...skip it and try something unique to Duty Free like Balvenie [12/16yr] Triple Cask. Heathrow has World of Whiskies...I could stare at their shelves for hours.

And free tasters. It's really awesome on long layovers.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
How "peaty" is Lagavulin 16? I hear people raving about how great it is, and now I've come across some bottles of it at costco for like $55 bucks, and am debating on picking one up.

The biggest thing though, is I'm not sure how much of a super smokey scotch fan I am.

I got a bottle of Finlaggan from TJs awhile back, and maybe it's just because it's cheap as hell scotch, but I *really* don't like it. It tastes like I'm drinking liquid smoke basically.

Highland Park 12 had just about the perfect amount of peat for me, but I still generally prefer the lighter and sweeter finish on some of the different sherry cask bottles I've had.

So, worth a shot at the $55 price? Or is it still just a smoke bomb that I probably won't enjoy?

They also had Oban 14 for $44. I had a bottle of that sometime around Christmas before I really started to get into scotch, and I vaguely recall enjoying it (3 of us finished the whole bottle in one night, everything about that night is a vague memory..) I'm just wondering if I should grab that instead.

Or get both.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Haha funny thing is, I was going to put in my original comment, "this wouldn't be a question if I had scotch drinking friends, as I'd just gift it to them, or share when they visit." But alas.. I don't have any. :(

I may still buy it(both) anyways. I've only got stupid Finlaggan left, and I've been jonesing hard for a nice dram lately.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Kenning posted:

Finlaggan makes a spectacular hot toddy – 2 oz. Finlaggan, 1 tsp. raw sugar (or a sugar cube), 4-6 oz. boiling hot water, and freshly-grated nutmeg. It's totally rad. Sub out lemon peel for the nutmeg and you've got a Skin. It's a nice use for any single malt that you don't necessarily care for.

Done and done. I'll keep this in the back of the cupboard until cooler weather rolls in, and then I'll give this a shot.

I've tried making a few different variations of a Rob Roy with it, but they were all a no go. I poured myself a drink of it today, just to make sure I wasn't crazy. A few sips and I was done. Bleh. :(

I'm pretty excited to try the Laguvilin, even if it ends up smoking my face off. We'll see!

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Welp, I bought that bottle of Lag 16.. it's good for sure, WAY better then the Finlaggan, still pretty peaty, but I feel like it's workable, and is probably a way better expression of the style I can get behind.

In other news, a lady at work bought me a bottle of Highland Park 18 yesterday for being a bad rear end. Awesome! I only had one of those tiny airline bottles of this before, so this was a nice treat. I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to HP12 anymore! :(

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Zatheria posted:

Speaking of Costco, my local one in SoCal has a Kirkland branded 20 year Speyside that's finished in Sherry for 45 dollars. Just for the sake of science, I picked this up last week and found it rather enjoyable, despite my usual preference for Islays. It's smooth with a little bit of sweetness and not much alcoholic burn at all.

Interesting but I'm curious of anyone else has any other experiences with this whisky. Or for that matter knows where or originally came from.

That was one of the first bottles of scotch I ever had, and I really enjoyed it. Rumor has it that it's Macallan, but who knows. Mine also has some 18 yo speyside finished in Sherry right now as well, for I think 5 bucks cheaper. If I wasn't already weighed down with a crapton of other booze, I'd be performing my own science experiments!

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
After not having any whiskey for awhile (besides the occasional scotch) I powered through a bottle of Bulliet Rye like it was my job a few weeks ago. I forgot how delicious it was.. and at $20/750ml at Trader Joes.. it may need to work it's way back into my regular rotation.

HOWEVER.

On a whim, I grabbed a bottle of Rittenhouse rye ($24 at my local liquor store).. first things first.. a sip by itself, as is. Holy crap. Its so spicy, and even has a little bit of a fruity flavor to it. Delicious. Threw an ice cube down, poured a little more on top and let it chill and dilute just a touch... even better. Just so smooth and easy to drink. It finishes a touch harsh, but the upfront flavors are so good, its easy to forget the finish.

I made a few old fashioned's, and it was just great. The spiciness of this really shines through, and it really elevated this drink. Manhattans are the same. My favorite though, was a Derby. Rye, grand marnier, sweet vermouth, and loads of lime. One of my favorite drinks, the Rittenhouse really has just made it that much better. Funny thing is, I ran out of vermouth.. when in a pinch? Use red wine. Holy poo poo.. what a drink. I actually like it better with the straight red wine than I do the vermouth. I think I may have found my new jam for awhile

I still love Bulleit Rye, and prefer it straight (not that I really drink it straight that much).. but Rittenhouse may just have it beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Kenny Logins posted:

Anyone have any take on Crown Royal Black? Better than the basic or disgusting gimmick? It's going on sale soon in my area and I was wondering if I should bother trying it. It's only been around since 2010 so I've had a hard time finding feedback on it.

I liked it. My dad had a bottle of it when I went to visit on thanksgiving, and I had a few drinks of it. It's got a lot of big flavors going on, but not really big whiskey flavors. It was an interesting drink to say the least. A little sweet.. kinda reminded me of drinking a nice dark rum.