Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Gonna be visiting a friend on the 15th and I want to get two bottles of whiskey to taste..

Since I don't really have a refined pallet and he is mostly used to his johnny walker black habit im going basic.

probably gonna buy:

Highland Park 12yr (750ml) for 39.99 @ Bevmo

Doublewood Balvenie Scotch 12yr (750ml) for 41.98 @ Bevmo

Others I have considered:

Yamazaki 12 year, Oban 14yr, or a redbreast. (willing to spend between 40-60$ a bottle) This isn't a big occasion.

I can travel to anywhere near San Francisco to pick something up if its cheaper than vanilla Bevmo prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja

NightConqueror posted:

I've tried the Yamazaki 12, and I can confirm its pretty good, especially for the price (which is like $40, here). It has no smoke to it, so it's not really like a scotch, but its got a similar flavor profile to the Highland Park 12. It's weird, there's no doubt about that.

Thanks for the incite. I think im gonna go with the original picks. I want to be able to taste different but similar nuances of flavor. I haven't tried any scotch besides copious amounts of johnny walker black.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Got Highland Park 12, Balvenie Doublewood 12 and a Glenlivet 12.. Cant wait to taste them all.. I've only had Johnny walker black as far as Scotch is concerned..

Anybody have advice on sitting down and trying all three in slow succession, one after the other.

I've read somewhere here that coke can help clear the pallet in between tasting drinks.. I think taking breaks in between should rest the taste buds enough right?

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Bought this on a whim for $20 at Safeway tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Nice and mellow fruity Single Malt with complexity. Anyone else give this a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJowj18Lq0