Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ChetReckless posted:

This weekend I bought my first bottle of whisky since University. RCLS had Laphroaig Quarter Cask on for what I think was a pretty okay deal so I took the plunge. Having spent the weekend with it I'd consider the experience a revelation. My first glass was 50:50 with water but by Sunday I found my sweet spot was about 2-3 ml. I definitely found myself looking forward to a glass at the end of the evening -- seems like my main problem will be making the bottle last for a bit.

I spent a lot of time reading over this thread trying to figure out how to get a good experience for myself. Thanks Whisky Thread.

I just picked up my first LQC last night and oh my god. It's scary how smooth and addictive it is. Previously I had Laphroaig 10 year, Chivas Regal, and Ardbeg 10 year. The Laphroaig 10 was my favorite before I tried the Quarter Cask. The Ardbeg was good but the Laphroaig 10 was much better to me, a lot more smoke and spiciness with less chemical notes. But the Quarter Cask is hugely smooth, and the mouthfeel is incredible, it's almost creamy. I will probably also have a difficult time making this bottle last. I think I have found my Scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So I've been getting into Scotch and so far have gotten through a bottle of Laphroaig 10 (love it), Ardbeg 10 (like it a lot, not as much as L10), and Laphroaig QC (favorite).

I wanted to branch out into non-Islay scotches so I picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12.

I love the nutty raisiny vanilla nose and spicy peppery smokey woody finish but the middle has this strong kind of sour quality to it that really turns me off. It's almost like vomit and it kind of turns my stomach. I didn't get it immediately on my first sip but after two or three it was impossible to ignore. Am I the only one experiencing this? Is it something that I ate beforehand that just clashes with it (I had chicken apple sausage, winter squash, noodles, and cole slaw)?

Based on the nose and the finish I really want to love it and I'm kind of disappointed that I bought a whole bottle. Is what I'm experiencing typical of a certain kind of Scotch?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I can offer no further insight other than vomit (or baby sick as Richard Paterson calls it) is a real scotch note, and both my wife and I picked it up on Highland Park 12. I happened to like HP 12, but my wife hated it, specifically due to the vomit note. :shrug:

Deleuzionist posted:

I'll confirm this as well. I haven't picked it up in HP12 but I remember the otherwise nice Bruichladdich Laddie Ten having this bile-like aroma that popped out every now and then to ruin my fun, and I've found a few other tasting notes (a small minority) that describe that same smell in that product. I assume some noses are more astute in picking up that note and consider it offensive whereas others pass it by or detect it as something less offensive.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not taking crazy pills here. I'll see if it mellows out at all after sitting open for a little while, or maybe I'll acquire the taste for it. When I was getting into beer I had previously had a few bad nights with cheap beer (:barf:) and it really turned me off, so that the only stuff I liked was IPA's or stouts because the hops/roasted malt completely dominated the yeast. After a while getting into Belgians and heffe's I lost the aversion to that yeast flavor and it doesn't bother me at all any more. So maybe I'll come around to this.

If not then I'll probably give this away and stick with my Islay's unless I can taste before I buy.

It's very frustrating because I can find no reviews/tasting notes that really indicate this unless I go out of my way and google "Highland Park 12 tasting notes vomit" or something. And when they do pick it up, it's just in passing. For me it's like 30% of what I taste.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 5, 2014

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Shif posted:

Well in all reality I do consider myself a newbro whisk(e)y plebian, no harm done. JW Red is meh at best, I just don't know what else to compare it to; at first taste I honestly thought it tasted like cardboard.

On the other hand I am itching to try some George Dickel, signs are pointing to holyshitthisis10timesbetterthanJD. What happened to the venerable JD anyway that I'm so feverishly missing out on?

I'm jealous. If you really like what many people consider bad or mediocre then you are in for a treat when you get to try some really good stuff!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

JamesMxP posted:

Need some help getting into Scotch.

Big bourbon fan after working for a couple months to acquire the taste, starting with sweetened liqueurs like Evans Williams Cherry reserve (which now tastes like chugging cheap candied cherry juice), moving on to Maker's Mark which is now a little too bland. Favorites so far are Evans Williams Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Russell's Reserve.

Thought I was at least ready to experiment with scotch. Limited selection here in WV, bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Original. Opened the bottle last night, poured a glass. Aroma reminded me of a white wine, sweet, orange/peach. Took a sip, overpowering taste of bile/puke right of the bat. Scared to try it again, almost couldn't stand it. When that tasted dissipated, nothing else unpleasant, but it certainly starts out bad.

Did I just select the wrong scotch to start with for someone who likes bourbon?
How can I tame this one down so I don't just let it sit? I did try a little water, detected same overpowering bile note. Add some ice? Man up and get used to it?

I didn't start with bourbon though I do remember liking OGD before getting into Scotch. I started with Islay scotches like Ardbeg and Laphroaig. When I decided to branch out I tried Highland Park 12 as it is almost universally lauded as a great intro, as it has elements of Islay, Speyside, and Highland. I experienced pretty much the same thing as you with that Scotch. Right in the middle I got a vomit/bile note that was very difficult to ignore and just not fun to drink. It was a shame because I liked the nose and the finish a lot. I never got that with my Islays or Macallan 12(which was tasty but a bit one-dimensional to me). Reading into tasting notes a bit it seems like the citrus that a lot of people notice comes across as bile/puke to some other people. My favorite Islay is Laphroaig Quarter Cask if you want to try something with none of the bile/fruitiness.

Other people have reported the same thing with HP12, others don't notice it at all. Unfortunately I really couldn't find any reviews or notes that described it unless I went out of my way looking for them. Maybe after a while I won't get the unpleasantness from it but for now I am moving on to other scotches.

Edit: here is the beginning of my tasting of the HP 12 and the previous discussion of the bile note we had: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441478&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=87#post426539018

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 13, 2014