Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Yay, a new whiskey thread!

I have just been getting into whiskey in the last year or so, and have built up a meager collection of bourbons and single malts.

My favorite bourbon is probably Blanton's single barrel. I finally bought myself a bottle of this last night after having it multiple times at my uncle's. I love this stuff with just a cube or two of ice. I also can't deny that the bottle looks awesome, and the color of the bourbon is just beautiful. Also, in case you guys didn't know, the little bottle stopper has a horse on the top and a little letter underneath it. The letters spell out 'Blanton's' and each horse has a slightly different pose so when you line them up it's a full stride. Pretty cool! I found a liquor store in town with a really good selection of scotch, and a decent selection of bourbon that has Blanton's for $39.99, which is as cheap as I've seen it, so I finally picked one up for myself.

I also really enjoyed the Four Roses Single Barrel that I had. This might have been the easiest bourbon to drink that I've ever tried. I didn't like it quite as much as Blanton's, but it was very good.

Honorable mention goes to Woodford Reserve and Evan Williams Single Barrel. The EW was especially nice for a $24 bottle.

On my 'to try' list is Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Jefferson's Reserve, Wild Turkey Rare Breed(just bought a budde a bottle so hopefully he has me over to try it), Wild Turkey kentucky Spirit(own a bottle but haven't gotten to it yet).

As for scotch, I am far less experienced. I like the Balvenie doublewood, which besides the taste I really like because the aforementioned liquor store sells it for $32 a bottle! They also have the Balvenie Signature for $36, would you guys recommend that for an extra $4? I like the Glenfiddich 15 I have, and The Dalmore 12(I don't like this quite as much as the doublewood). I have found that I don't like the peaty scotch's, I have tried some Talisker 10 and it was hard for me to finish it.

I also got a bottle of Jameson 12 special reserve from a friend, so I'm anxious to try that out. I haven't had any irish whiskey besides regular Jameson. If I like it I might have to check out some other varieties like RedBreast or something.

Also, I was just thinking of how hard it would be to start a new distillery to make and sell scotch. I mean aren't you looking at 10-12 years before you can even sell product? That's a long time and a lot of operating cost you have to eat before you can make any money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

spankmeister posted:

I suggest you try Pappy Van Winkle.

I would love to try this, but I haven't seen it any stores around my house. This is normally pretty pricy too right?

spankmeister posted:

Try a Higland Park sometime. It has some peat, but it's not as peppery as the Talisker. I suspect the pepper has put you off, not the peat necessarily.

I will have to try this out as I've heard such good things in this thread. Maybe that will be my next purchase.

spankmeister posted:

Redbreast is in a completely different league than Jameson, so if you don't like Jameson then don't be put off to try Redbreast, Green Spot or Bushmills Single Malt or something.

Do you mean it's in a different league than Jameson's normal offering, or just any Jameson in general? I know Jameson is marketed pretty hard and is thus pretty 'popular', but is the 12 year not any better than the normal stuff? I'll definitely try out the redbreast sometime though.

spankmeister posted:

Whisky can be legally sold as such after aging for three years. There have been a few upstart distilleries the past few years like Kilchoman, Penderyn, Amrut etc. and they've all started selling after 3 or 4 years.

e: not sure if Amrut has just started distilling or if they've been at it for some time.

I guess I just haven't seen many scotch's sold that advertise anything less than 8-10 years aged. And I know geographic location has a lot to do with how quickly the whisky ages, and comparing years isn't apples to apples between different distilleries. But is there much of a market for 3 year aged scotch? I'm not talking American whiskey or canadian, but scotch. It would be pretty rad to start your own distillery, but it also makes sense why so many of the distilleries are so old. Pretty daunting task to put up money for 3+ years before you can really sell anything. Do a lot of the distilleries sell off a portion of their product after 3-7 years to be used in blends or for other purposes or anything?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My friend got me a bottle of Glen Moray 12 for Christmas, anyone know anything about this? I'm thinking it's a cheaper brand a la DeWars or something, but I've never tried it. That's what the guy at his liquor store suggested though. Regardless, I'm excited to at least try something new :).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What a difference a town makes! I left Minneapolis to visit the town where I went to college(Winona, MN) and stopped at their liquor store to check prices/see if they had anything good. Holy crap do I appreciate living up in Minneapolis now. The price for bourbon/scotch was unbelievable down there. Let's see, a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood sells for $32 near me, but down in Winona it was $57 :stare:. Similarly a 750ml of Woodford's Reserve was $49.99 down there...

Even the most common bottles were just super expensive. Glenlivet 12 was close to $50 I think.

Needless to say I passed...

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

wormil posted:

I remember your post from the old thread, prices are cheap where you live. Never move.

I don't know the legality of shipping booze, but if they were say, significantly cheaper with a greater selection than where you live, I might be able to be persuaded to do a little shipping. You know, for an old L4D companion.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just picked up a bottle of the redbreast 12 to see what all the fuss is about :).

Also, the same liquor store had Pyrat rum on sale for $15 :stare:. I haven't seen the stuff for any less than like $35 before. I have a friend who loves the stuff so I picked him up a bottle.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I opened my bottle of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit last night, and had a glass. Initially it was a little overpowering for me(I think it's like 101 proof), but I added one ice cube and it became a little more approachable. I am going to reserve final judgement for when I try it again, but my initial thought is it's a little 'wild'. Maybe the WT is just not for me? I will try it again before saying that though :). It definitely wasn't unpleasant, but I'm not used to the higher proof stuff so that could be it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Killer robot posted:

Best thing about high proof whiskeys is that a little water and you have exactly what the 80 proof version would be anyway.

But then shouldn't I just buy the 80 proof version for 2/3 of the price :colbert:. Just kidding of course :).

Fiery is a good way to describe the kentucky spirit Kenning. I checked my bottle and it says that it was bottled at 100.5 proof or something. Isn't the rare breed like 104 or 105 proof?

Anyways, there is definitely a big difference between this WTKS and something like Four Roses Single Barrel. That's good though, I don't want all my whiskies tasting the same.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What are some favorite $25-$45 bourbons around here? Anyone tried any of the variants of Four Roses or Jefferson's?

There are a TON of bourbons in that price range. On the lower end of that price range I'd say Evan Williams Single Barrel is worth trying. You should be able to get it for $20-25, and for that price I'm not sure if I've had anything as good.

Other than that, there are just so many options at that price range, $45 is getting close to the premium price range for bourbon(and then it seems there's quite a jump to the super premium stuff). But my two favorites around there are Blanton's and Four Roses Single Barrel. I've heard the FRSB can be quite different from barrel to barrel, but the one I had was very good!

In other news, a new liquor store opened by me and they are still filling their shelves, but so far they have a decent selection of whiskey with GREAT prices. I'm excited about it because I was driving about 20 minutes to get to a liquor store with good selection/prices. Now I just have to drive down the road!

EDIT: I haven't had any Jefferson's, but I really want to try it, the bottle always catches my eye...

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 31, 2012

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well, I snagged Four Roses Small Batch and had a bit of it last night. It's my first foray into bourbon so I can't offer much except to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had it on the rocks first and then had another glass with some Coke. Hopefully it's not sacrilege to use it in a mixed drink, but I'll definitely be doing so again even if it is. Yum!

I noticed the recommendations are generally for the Single Barrel. Are the variants truly different products (for example, the four price points of Greek spirit Metaxa range in flavor from vanilla to fruit to leather), or just bumps in quality?

My limited understanding with this type of stuff is that the small batch and single barrel bottlings don't differ a whole lot. Basically small batch will be a blend of a few barrels, while single barrel will really just all be from a single barrel in the warehouse. Quite often, the single barrel bottles have cool handwritten labels that say which barrel and rack and warehouse the whiskey was bottled from. I'm sure some people keep track of that information in case they get a really good bottle(then they could try to track down other bottles from that barrel). Recipe wise, I think the small batch and single barrel bottles are probably identical, it's just that one is mixed with other barrels and one is not.

Because of all that, I think the small batch bottles will probably be more consistent, while the single barrels will be slightly more volatile.

That is my understanding though, someone please correct me if I'm wrong :).

Also, don't worry about how you drink your whiskey(especially if you are just starting), it's totally up to you. Some people will say it's a waste to mix a good bottle of whiskey with coke, but at the end of the day if you like it then it doesn't matter. If you pick up a couple more bottles it's nice to taste them un-mixed side by side. If you mix with coke all the time you might not taste much of a difference between different brands/bottles, and if you can't taste a big difference mixed, then just buy the cheaper one!

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 31, 2012

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I will throw out Evan Williams single barrel, great beginner bourbon. It's pretty tasty and very cheap. Sure, I'd like to tell everyone to try Blanton's or something, which I really like, but it's tough to convince someone to drop $40 on a bottle of something they are not sure they like.

I suppose we could have a list of inexpensive and expensive whiskeys to try, to fit different people's price points.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Had some Knob Creek for the first time yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised! You know how you can see a bottle of something at the liquor store and say, "wow, that bottle looks awesome and I really want to try that, I bet it's good!". Well I have always felt the opposite about the knob creek, I'm glad I finally tried it. Liquor store by me has it on sale for like $24.50 too, so I might pick one up.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

NightConqueror posted:

For the price, it's pretty great. Flavor is definitely a step up from Maker's Mark, and is on almost on par with Buffalo Trace (plus the bar by me sells it for $4.00 a glass).

Call me crazy but I actually liked it a lot more than Buffalo Trace, for some reason the BT just didn't do it for me.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I am not a very experienced scotch drinker, but coming from drinking mostly bourbon and canadian blends I found The Balvennie Doublewood to be a pretty good beginner's bottle. A lot of flavor, with quite a bit of sweetness from the sherry casks, pretty easy drinking. A lot less jarring of a transition than say to a strong peaty islay scotch.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone ever tried Willet's bourbon?

http://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/willett_pot_still_reserve.php

The bottle is awesome looking and they have it at a local shop. Don't know if I really need to buy another bottle for awhile though, but it's the first time I've seen it. Anyone have any opinion on it?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Rye for $21 at my liquor store, I tried it with some ice and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I will have to try it in an old fashioned or manhattan or something, but that means I need to go out and buy some more supplies :).

PS: Was that a good deal? I never buy rye and their selection was basically:

Wild Turkey Rye: $17
Russel's Reserve: $21
Michter's Single Barrel Rye: $37
Ri: $36 or something.

I didn't want to spend close to $40 on something I wasn't sure about, but I felt okay dropping ~$20 on a bottle.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

spankmeister posted:

Anyone try the new Grouse yet?

The Naked Grouse:

Haven't seen that yet, the bottle looks awesome though. What's the price point on that do you know?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hmmm, I've honestly never had any Grouse products, what would you guys compare them too? That's a blend correct?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

i r bat posted:

Wow, bought a bottle of Doublewood today, I now love scotch.

Thanks SA.

I really like the doublewood. Has anyone tried the Balvenie Signature? I think it's also a 12 year scotch, but perhaps not aged in the sherry casks at all?

I need to pick up some vermouth so I can try to make myself some manhattans, do they sell that at most liquor stores?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What would you guys recommend in the $60-$100 range for Scotch/Bourbons?

I have a special event coming up and would like to get a bottle to commemorate the event. I can tell you that I don't like peaty scotches, so none of that stuff. I've enjoyed Balvennie Doublewood and Glenfiddich 15 thus far, and The Damlmore 12 I liked a bit as well.

As far as bourbons, I really enjoy Blanton's, but that's about the highest priced stuff I've had.

I'm thinking for that price range I should go for Scotch, and try to grab something that's aged a bit longer. Although maybe I'll try to find some Van Winkle 15 or something, how much does that usually go for?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Lunixnerd posted:

I recently started trying to move on to harder spirits having been a beer drinker for a while.
I asked around amongst my whiskey drinking friends and they recommend going for either Jameson or VAT 69 as a starting point as opposed to shelling out for a single malt and perhaps not liking it or missing its various characteristics due to inexperience.

Which of those two should I go for and are there any other recommendations I could try as a whiskey noob?

I have found that the Jameson 12 year reserve is a VERY easy to drink whiskey, quite a bit moreso than their normal offering(but it has been a long time since I've had the normal Jameson, so I could be out of line here). It is a little more expensive, probably in the $30-$35 range depending on where you live, but in my opinion is one of the easiest to drink whiskey's out there. It goes down very smooth with just a little bit of ice. If that is out of your price range I understand, then go for the cheaper variety.

From a bourbon standpoint, Evan Williams Single Barrel is a very good starting bourbon. Can be found for cheap $20-$25 and in my opinion is as good or close to a lot of bourbons in the $25-$35 range.

My recommendation for a starter scotch is Balvennie doublewood, that's what I started with and it was a good gateway :). A little cheaper and still not too bad would be Old Pulteney 12, probably about $5-$8 cheaper than the Balvennie, but pretty decent for that price point.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

IanCaw posted:

I am going to ask the question that no one should ask:

Is Red Stag a sugar-syrup abomination like a flavored vodka or honey bourbon, or is it something with strong but not gross black cherry notes?

I don't want to get a 750 and end up utterly disappointed if possible. Thoughts?

I am not a fan of flavored whiskeys, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I have always felt you are better off getting a regular bottle of whiskey (that you can use for a lot more drinks than cherry whiskey), and adding any flavoring you want for any specific drinks. If you like cherry, then get a bottle of grenadine and go hog wild.

I've never actually had the red stag though, so it's possible it's very good, I'm just not going to fork out for a bottle of it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kenning posted:

Grenadine is supposed to be pomegranate. In any case yeah, this is usually a better choice, because you can use homemade syrups instead of lovely chemical-tasting sweeteners, and decent whiskey instead of poo poo that was so unsaleable they had to add sugar and flavorings to get anyone to buy it.

:stare: I never knew that. Is Rose's Grenadine supposed to be pomegranate flavored then? Every cherry coke I made was actually a pomegranate coke :psyduck:.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone ever had any of the longer aged Balvenie expressions? I'm looking at the 21 year Portwood or the 17 year Madeira in particular.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I've been making some old fashioneds lately and I must say they are quite tasty. I don't know if my recipe is a good one or not, this is what I've been doing:

splash of water
sugar cube
2 dashes bitters
muddle cherry + orange wedge
add bourbon
add ice

Any thoughts? Am I bastardizing this drink or is this pretty legit. I found the recipe on some website awhile ago.

In other news, I was in a bar for happy hour last week that had $3 beers. I saw that they had a pretty nice scotch selection and so I asked how much a glass of Oban 14 would be, sinve I've never had it and have been thinking of picking up a bottle. I don't want to fork over the $50 before I have tried it though.

The bartender asked me, "Neat, or on the rocks?" I didn't think there would be a difference in price between the two, is that normal? Anyways, $18 a glass. Holy crap. That's like 40% the cost of the whole bottle, or at least %40 of what I would pay. They probably get the bottles a little cheaper. I understand marking up a pricier bottle because it doesn't sell all that often, and it takes up shelf space, but 2.5 drinks and they are breaking even? Is that normal pricing?

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 12, 2012

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good Irish Whiskey? The only one I've had is Jameson. I'm used to Patron and Cazadores tequila: it's a quick burn. Irish Whiskey, on the other hand, is a slow burn. Not that it's a bad thing: I enjoy the slow burn. Does all good whiskey burn slow?

Jameson 12 year reserve is pretty good, albeit mellow. Redbreast 12 is also very good.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The liquor store by me has four bottles of this:

http://www.greatbourbon.com/vanwinklesr.aspx

$49.99 a piece. Is that a pretty good price? It's the only time I've ever seen any van winkle stuff in a store before, although I don't hear as much about the 12 year as I do about the 15 and 20. Should I go back and get some?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

fariz posted:

Our awesome bartender has been giving me a sip by sip tour of our whiskey bar over the past month or so, and I've decided that life before just wasn't worth living.

Mother loving Blanton's Bourbon. :getin:

Had some of this over the weekend, it's my absolute favorite. It helps that I have an uncle who loves the stuff, so he always has a bottle handy whenever we visit.

In case you didn't know, the little horse guy on the cork is somewhat of a collectible. There are 8 different horse topper things, each have one letter stamped on them B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S, if you put all of them next to each other in order it's like a flip book type thing of a horse running.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mr. pastry posted:

Can anyone recommend a good bourbon? I'd like to try something new, besides my standby of Knob Creek 9-year. I'm open to a scotch suggestion too.

My answer is always Blanton's :). I'd give Four Roses Single Barrel a shot too.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Had my first glass of whiskey in awhile and decided to go with some Jameson 12. This stuff is ridiculously smooth, it's a great sipping whiskey when you aren't feeling up to something really strong or really bold. Definitely a laid back drink.

I need to get going on my whisky cabinet though, since I moved into my new place I haven't been getting into it too much. I have an unopened bottle of Aberlour 16 that I need to try, anyone have any experience with that?

Also, I have a bottle of Talisker 10 that I've only taken one drink out of, just really not a fan. I guess I can't really handle that smokey/peaty stuff, and I guess this isn't even that heavy in those aspects? Anyways, if anyone lives in the twin cities and wants to stop by I'd give it away for $20 or something. I think it's normally like $50 or $60 right? Anyways, I probably won't be finishing it anytime soon.

ANd the other day a friend bought me a bottle of Dimple Pinch blended scotch, anyone ever had this stuff? I found it to be ridiculously sweet, almost couldn't finish a glass of it...

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

OSheaman posted:

Speaking of bourbon, and I know this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any sub-$25 recommendations? I am going out for a fancy dinner on the 24th and want to send a bottle of bourbon back to the kitchen as a "Merry Christmas" gift. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! (assume, for the sake of the stereotype, that whatever I send them will mostly be drunk neat or with small alterations).

I like Evan Williams Single Barrel for that price. It's usually right around $25 around here.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I haven't really had anything too peaty but I found Talisker pretty tough to drink when I had it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Troll Bridgington posted:

Oh man, I had a couple glasses of that at a restaurant a couple months ago. It was absolutely delicious. How much did that bottle cost where you live?

If you live in Minneapolis you can get two bottles for $75, with free delivery to your door!
http://www.shopmerwins.com/da15twopafrs.html

There's a $15 off coupon on that page which brings it down to $75. I've never bought the stuff but it always seems to be in the $45-$55 range at most liquor stores by me.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'm not too sure that THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY is going to be any good. Sure they are aging THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY for 36 months, but that's not unique to THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY. I mean most distilleries have bourbons aged up to 15 years, which puts THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY on the low end. Maybe if the price is right I will try THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY but most likely THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY will just be used for rail drinks at the local bar.

Oh my god, I just found out who Jesse James Dupree is, lead guitarist of Jackyl. Jackyl was playing some concert in northern Minnesota a couple falls ago and I heard 'The Lumberjack' on the local radio station advertising for the concert as I was driving up to Lake of the Woods. I could not stop laughing.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

kidsafe posted:

People gravitate to a wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark because it's softer/sweeter than most of its competition. Dropping down to 84 proof makes it even easier to drink, so I don't think the supermarket crowd is going to shy away from it because whisk(e)y geeks (who probably don't drink it anyway) are crying. How many people actively complain about Jack Daniels or Basil Hayden's being 80 proof?

I actively complain that JD is nasty...

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Rapdawg posted:

I'm young and new to Whiskey, but love Jack Daniels from black label to single barrel select yet find it no where mentioned in the past few pages- is this because I like a terrible Whiskey or because I enjoy but one of a sea of great beverages?

I personally think Evan Williams tastes better than Jack throughout their whole range, while managing to be 15% or so cheaper the whole way. I think that's mainly why you don't see a lot of goon recommendations for Jack.

That and I think goons on the whole shy away from hyper-marketed, huge production products like Jack Daniels, Grey Goose, Maker's Mark(to a lesser extent) etc..

There's nothing wrong with any of those, but there are probably options as good or better for less coin. It costs a lot of money to market so aggressively and part of that cost falls on the consumer at some point.

If I were you I'd branch out and try some bourbons in the JD Single Barrel price range. I think you'd be impressed with how far that $35-$45 can go in bourbon country. Depending where you are I think:

Evan Williams Single Barrel ($25)
Blanton's Single Barrel ($40)
Four Roses Single Barrel ($37)**
Black Maple Hill ($40)

Woodford Reserve ($30)
Templeton Rye ($35)

are all great options that could be had for less(or about the same) than a Single Barrel bottle of JD. When I sit down with a drink of one of those I know I'm drinking something tasty at a reasonable price. When I drink Jack I'm always left wondering if I'm paying more for the 1,000 TV commercial and magazine ads than I am for a finely crafted product.

**These are my local prices, they could vary a lot depending on where you live. But JD SB is anywhere from $35-$45 by my house.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Rapdawg posted:

One thing I've done is re-fill my empty bottles with Canadian Black Velvet whiskey to see if anyone can tell the difference- with mixed results. Most people don't know the difference because I'm in college and they aren't enjoying a nice Jack and Coke because of the taste, they are trying to get blasted. Its a common joke with my friends now that I do this because "Lucky No. 7 refers to the bottle, not the batch. It makes it taste better dude." but every once in a while I'll meet a douchebag and not tell him and just be Mr. High Roller giving out JD shots. The best is when some rear end in a top hat went on and on about how you can just taste the difference in quality when having Jack Daniels and how he won't touch other swill.

This reminds me of a story from my early college years. I had a snooty friend who was insufferable whenever we were drinking because he refused to drink anything but Guinness. He'd go on and on about how it was the only thing worth drinking and he was one the biggest Guinness drinkers and blah blah blah.

So we were at a bonfire and I got up to get another drink and he asked me to bring him a Guinness. "Sure!" I said.

I went inside and filled one of his empty guinness bottles up with Icehouse, a truly disgusting beer that tastes NOTHING like Guinness. I bring it back, he takes a swig and goes, "Ahhh, Guinness."

I think drinking brings out the snobbery in a lot of people and they just can't help trying to impress others with their tastes and sophistication or some crap.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Professor Latency posted:

Willett Pot Still Reserve is fantastic. This has the best finish I've ever tasted.

Is that the one that comes in a cool bottle too?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TG-Chrono posted:

After loving the Buffalo Trace I snagged a bottle of Blanton's. Going to give it a whirl tonight. Did I make a good selection? :ohdear:

I love Blanton's, it's probably my favorite bourbon. Wish I had some I could drink here at work but I don't :(. I don't have a glass either. Well and I'd get fired if I drank at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Liquor store by my house has a few deals going on but I'm not sure if they are good/great or normal prices.

Ardbeg 10: $37
Laphroaig 10: $40
Laphroaig 18: $88
Glenmorangie LaSanta: $40
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban: $40

I'm not sure if those are good or not, because they have Balvennie Doublewood for $38 which is an okay deal but not great(another shop in Minneapolis always has it for $32).