Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Couldn't you basically just have plastic molds in the shape of spheres that you fill with water and put them in the freezer? Couldn't those pieces of plastic be sold for like $5?

That video made me not want to ever buy a Macallan whisky, blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What are you guys taking these pictures with :psyduck:, they look like camera phone pictures from 2004.

I've tried whisky stones as well and was not a fan. I don't put ice in my scotch, but I love my bourbon with just one or two ice cubes :). The late drink dillution is okay with me.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I've had dimple pinch before, at least the stuff that's available now and it was the sweetest whisky I've ever had. Like completely and utterly over-sweet.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What's the general opinion on the Dalmore scotch lineup? I was having a glass of Balvennie Doublewood last night when I saw my bottle of Dalmore 12 peaking at me from the back of my cabinet. I never see much chatter on it, I enjoy the 12 year and feel it's more...interesting, than the Balvennie. Can't really put my finger on why, maybe it's deeper or richer or something. Anyways, just curious what you guys think, at the very least I like their bottles and logo :).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Turnquiet posted:

Because we are not toothless hillbillies or sorority girls looking for peach-flavored swill to make the next time the Alpha-Varsigma-Varsigma boys drop by more tolerable. :colbert:

You know what is fun? Paying VA ABC prices for Scotch and other spirits. I traveled to Arizona for Christmas and was reminded how cheaply I could stock my liquor cabinet there, and I bought lots of bottle to bring home. Got another bottle of Lagavulin 16 from Costco for $44... VA price? $102. I grabbed a fifth of Bulliet bourbon for $30 (VA $60), and my wife demanded I buy the Glenlivet gift box of the 12, 15 year French Oak, and 18 for $115 ($45, $60, and $104 = $209). Heck, I think Glenlivet is kinda soft and boring, but for those prices I wasn't going to complain.

At least we got neato stuff like Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky, and more importantly Reservoir Bourbon and Rye here. Shame it costs ~$45 for 375ml.

Though my inner leftist is glad the high prices are easy to funnel to local schools and infrastructures, I must admit I wouldn't mind the yokels in the State legislature opening up the way for Total Wine and Costco to clean house here. Raise my property taxes or something for gently caress's sake.

$60 for a bottle of Bulleit :psyduck:.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I've been away from this thread and whisky drinking for too long! I just found out my boss is a whisky guy, which I didn't expect, so we've started training samples of whisky. He bought these little 2 oz glass bottles off of amazon and we are just going to start trading samples back and forth, I highly recommend it, it's a great way to try new whisky!

Round 1, he sent:
Lot 40 canadian rye
Russel's reserve single barrel
maker's 46

Round 1, I sent:
Jameson 12 (which I just found out they don't make anymore :( )
Redbreast 12
Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask

I'm also really sad to see Blanton's and Eagle Rare are basically impossible to find now, wth Buffalo Trace?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

asciidic posted:

Beachcomber Liquors in Englewood FL has Blanton's and Buffalo Trace. Or had. I may have taken the last bottles. But they had some other rarities: Whistlepig Boss Hog, Blood Oath, Yamazaki 18, Elmer T Lee, Kelt Petra, Hennessy Richard, Pappy 23, some 1986 vintage armagnac, and some others behind the shelf I can't remember.

I've been wanting to try more ryes and picked up a bottle of Rough Rider Big Stick. I like the taste but it's pretty rough. :v:

Nice find! I can get normal Buffalo Trace pretty easily right now, but eagle rate is a bit tricky to find and Blanton's is non-existent. All the other more prestigious BT products are basically impossible to find too. I did see a bottle of Stagg Jr at another shop, but I just don't know if I care for the super high proof stuff(I think it's like 134 proof.

I have had a bunch of conversations with the local liquor store manager so hopefully he will keep an eye out. They must have just got sent eagle rare in, and they still have it priced at $28.99!

As a backup, my buddies uncle owns a liquor store so he's going to put in a good word for me.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My local liquor store got a couple bottles of Sazerac rye in today so I picked one up. I've never had it but I've heard good things!

It's nice to see this shop isn't gouging on everything Buffalo Trace like I've seen elsewhere. Picked up the Sazerac for $27.99, which I think is pretty fair. Talked up the manager quite a bit and got the low down on when they get new stock every month too!

Might go back and pickup a highland Park 12 cause I've never tried it and everyone here loves it!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I joined a local scotch/bourbon scouting group on Facebook, people post about unique or hard to find bottles at local shops, is kind of fun to follow along and see how quickly and often inventories change.

I also signed up for a whisky tasting/raffle at a shop nearby. $50 gets me a raffle ticket, tastings, and a glass to take home. Not a ton of bottles at the tasting, but some good ones.

Rock Hill farms
Old rip Van Winkle 10
Old rip Van Winkle 12
George T. Stagg
Elijah Craig 18

I figure it would cost me a lot more than $50 to try those at a bar, and I probably won't find a bar with all of them available. They are also having a raffle, for the right to buy a bottle of the following at MSRP.

(1) EH Taylor Barrel Proof
(3) Rock Hill farms
(2) Old Fitzgerald 9 year BIB
(2) old rip van Winkle 10
(3) old rip van Winkle 12
(3) George T Stagg
(1) Elijah Craig 18 year
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 15
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 20
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 23

They limited it to 50 participants, I was number 50 to sign up! I guess it lasted two hours after they sent out a newsletter. With only 50 people I have a pretty good shot of 'winning' something(18 bottles, 50 tickets). Apart from the EH Taylor and Rock Hill, I've never seen any of this on shelves and a lot of them go for pretty crazy amounts.

If I won the 20 or 23 year Pappy I'd have trouble not flipping it though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Not too sure, but I would probably sell pappy if I get it. Spend $3-$400 of it stocking my whisky cabinet and put the rest towards Christmas gifts/new boat.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon cream last night and a bottle of crown Royale Noble collection. The guy at my liquor store said the Noble collection is fantastic, aged 13 years and a bourbon mash bill.

Drinking the bourbon cream with some ice and root beer right now and it's pretty great. Tastes like a root beer float.

I'll report back on the crown, my whisky guy at the local liquor shop has been just gushing about it. Apparently it's ok me of the top ranked whiskies for the fall of 2018 from whiskey advocate.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zmcnulty posted:

edit: also, I hear Chivas Regal Mizunara is due for a US release

They had this at my local Costco, looked interesting. Do you know much about it?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DoctaFun posted:

I joined a local scotch/bourbon scouting group on Facebook, people post about unique or hard to find bottles at local shops, is kind of fun to follow along and see how quickly and often inventories change.

I also signed up for a whisky tasting/raffle at a shop nearby. $50 gets me a raffle ticket, tastings, and a glass to take home. Not a ton of bottles at the tasting, but some good ones.

Rock Hill farms
Old rip Van Winkle 10
Old rip Van Winkle 12
George T. Stagg
Elijah Craig 18

I figure it would cost me a lot more than $50 to try those at a bar, and I probably won't find a bar with all of them available. They are also having a raffle, for the right to buy a bottle of the following at MSRP.

(1) EH Taylor Barrel Proof
(3) Rock Hill farms
(2) Old Fitzgerald 9 year BIB
(2) old rip van Winkle 10
(3) old rip van Winkle 12
(3) George T Stagg
(1) Elijah Craig 18 year
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 15
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 20
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 23

They limited it to 50 participants, I was number 50 to sign up! I guess it lasted two hours after they sent out a newsletter. With only 50 people I have a pretty good shot of 'winning' something(18 bottles, 50 tickets). Apart from the EH Taylor and Rock Hill, I've never seen any of this on shelves and a lot of them go for pretty crazy amounts.

Going back to this, I'm fully prepared to not win anything in the raffle, and I don't know the format yet, but if it's a 'if we call your name, pick any available bottle', and I get some luck how would you guys rank these?

PVW23
PVW20
PVW15
Stagg
ORVW12
ORVW10
OFBIB
EHTBP
RHF

Not sure where to put the stagg in relation to the Winkle's and the EC18 and OFBIB I have no idea about, except that OFBIB has an awesome bottle :).

Keep in mind there's a good chance I might just try to trade/sell so I can buy a bunch of probably nearly as good bourbon and some interesting scotch. As much fun as it would be to drink a $500 bottle of bourbon, it might be more fun to spend $500 on more whiskey.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Weltlich posted:

If you ever get a chance to sell a Pappy, then sell it. The enjoyment you will get from the cash will far outweigh the potential enjoyment of drinking it.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking, there's no way I'll get $100 of enjoyment per ounce or whatever that works out to be.

As much as I'd love to try it, I think I've had enough whisky to know that it's not going to be some magic elixir. It's probably very very good, but I don't know, once you get above like $60 on bourbon, I don't know if it's really worth it.

BTW, I tried the crown Royal Noble collection last night, it is very good. Nice finish, rich mouthfeel, not overly sweet in my opinion, but very smooth.

I think it plays really well at the $60 it sells for around here.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
If it's a bourbon whiskey it will be at least 51% corn by definition. From there , different distilleries have many different 'recipes' that contain different proportions of the other grains mentioned.

Then within those recipes there will be multiple expressions bottled under different names based on aging , location of barrels , blended barrels , single barrels, etc.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Crown royale's new Noble collection release is quite good. It's basically a bourbon but they cant call it that cause it's not made in the US.

I hope someone else here tries it someday because I really enjoy it. It's way more interesting than any other crown I've had.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Who wants to help me spend some money? My local shop has a decent selection of bourbon , and I’ve been saving up some cash to expand my collection. I mainly buy stuff to drink it, and they don’t have any really collectible stuff anyways, so this is more about filling out my cabinet.

Here’s what I have already:

Eagle rare 10
Evan Williams single barrel
Knob creek single barrel reserve 120 proof store pick
Rittenhouse Rye
Sazerac rye
Crown royal Noble Collection
A bunch of scotch, and I’m asking for some scotches for Xmas

Here are the bottles I’m considering and their price:

1792 single barrel store pick $32
Four roses single barrel $32
Henry McKenna BIB 10 year $31
Russels reserve single barrel store pick $53
Maker’s Mark cask strength $55
Angel’s Envy $45
Bookers $63
Bulleit barrel strength $55
EH Taylor Small Batch $38
High West American Prairie Reserve $30
Elijah Craig Small Batch $22

I have a budget of about $160 I’d say , and I’m leaning towards including the Russels store pick as I have heard really good things about it.

But how would you fill out a $160 basket with those choices?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

What do you actually like out of the stuff you have?

Besides what the guy above said, EH Taylor is a pretty good pick at $38.

I like pretty much everything I have. The EW single barrel is my favorite ‘budget’ bottle as I can get it for $21 around here.

I like buffalo trace mash bills 1(eagle rare) and 2(blantons), but prefer #2. That crown royale might be my favorite of what I have , really nice and thick mouthfeel. I’m starting to really appreciate that in whiskies.

I would rank rye whiskies a little lower on my preference list though. I like the sazerac I have, but less so than most of the bourbons.

I’ve had FRSiB many times before and have always liked it, so that’s a safe bet (but something I’ve had before )

I’m warming up to the KC I have , I think I’m starting to like the higher proof stuff more and more.

I also like to try new things, so I’m not totally tied to a ‘I know I like this’ list.

That’s not super helpful because I really do like most decent bourbons I try, my palate is probably not developed enough to say ‘this slight difference makes me hate this bottle.’ I’m also kind of hoping to build out a somewhat diverse cabinet, so I don’t want 15 different BT mashbill #1 bottles in my cabinet.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
More or less indefinitely, but keep it in a cool dark place and once it gets close to empty(less than 1/3 of a bottle maybe) it’s worth moving to a smaller bottle if you plan on letting it sit.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr. today for $52.99 and I think I found my new go to shop. Super friendly owner, tons of open bottles available for samples:

wild turkey Kentucky spirit store pick
Two different woodford double Oaked store picks
Two different types of Jefferson reserve
1792 small batch store pick

Not to mention a whole different shelf of open bottles that they must rotate through including some decent scotches I’d love to try (glenfarclas for example).

They also had some tougher to find stuff that I had to pass on today, midwinter’s night dram, four roses private selection (OBSF). I’m likely going to go back and get one of the four roses.

He also said they have two different 1792 store picks coming in, a buffalo trace store pick, and one other I can’t remember.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Stopped in my local shop and they just got in a couple bottles of Elijah Craig 18. Price?

$115 :stare:. Yes please! My boss just bought a bottle about three weeks ago for $150. I've seen them go on secondary for $200, I'm hoping I can parlay it into a few tougher to find cheaper bottles.

I've been trying to find a bottle of blanton's for awhile, what's everyone else's favorites in the ~$50 range?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone been following this kerfluffle about Bourbon 30 and their ‘Butterface’ blend?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

spankmeister posted:

Not really, care to give the abridged version?

I’m having a hard time completely understanding it, as I wasn’t familiar with the particular distillery/blendary.

Bourbon 30 is a place that buys up other barrels of whiskies and then has a ‘master distiller’ (J Mattingly) make his own blends or finishes of these whiskies. They additionally distill their own spirits but it seems they don’t maybe do much of that.

Over the past couple of years, they’ve produced some well regarded bottles in their local market and started garnering a following. A local liquor store owner bought many barrels / bottlings from bourbon 30 and even started doing some exclusive blends that became even more popular. The second year of this many people bought and immediately flipped these bottles for decent profit.

Then it gets really weird, and most of this is probably rumor.

Some admin from some Facebook bourbon groups arrange some sort of private tour / blending session with bourbon 30 and some members of other Facebook groups. I think with the ultimate promise of them receiving bottle(s) of a signature blend which is sure to be ultra limited and sought after.

Admin collects money , including a potentially significant upcharge, so he pockets like 5-20k. Overall, they pull together like 80k or something ridiculous. Rumor is that he upcharged so that he could buy into B30 and reap benefits of soon to come scan.

The group gets there and find an unorganized mess, even rumors of whiskies being blended in garbage cans, including ‘light whiskey’ in the final product, etc. they taste some barrels and agree on one or a blend of them and JM says they’ll be ready in a couple weeks. After the group leaves, the admin stays back and works out another deal with JM and they bottle a blend called ‘Butterface.’ Super classy.

These Butterface bottles start showing up on secondary sites(maybe even local shops) and selling for crazy amounts, quite possibly with some shill bidders to drive up demand.

The other attendees of the private event get pissed because they are still waiting for their bottles, some may have even bought one of these Butterface bottles and immediately say it doesn’t taste anything like the one they picked out. Leading to accusations of additives/flavors added to the blend to make it seem more impressive.

Then some leaks come out about unsanitary conditions, incorrect labeling (ie: not straight whiskey) , and ultimately an average at best product.

Seems like more or less a manufactured scam to increase demand in a lame product.

Then, the admins of bourbon groups ban sales for that brand, more or less screwing anyone that bought a bottle to flip.

all the while, this J Mattingly guy just drug through the mud for proven or unproven claims that he’s blending like 3 year old whiskies and grain spirits or something in garbage cans and then selling it for $100+ a bottle.

Most of that makes no sense and is a jumbled mess, but it seems like the bourbon bubble is starting to create some drama!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Also, hoping someone tries number 5 from this list http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

I bought a bottle and really am enjoying it!!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Halloween Jack posted:

There's no accounting for taste, but I can't imagine putting in the work and taking on the loans to set up a distillery, and settle on "You Know, Like Beer-Thirty, But For Bourbon" as my brand.

Oh my god, I didn’t even make that connection. If one thing exudes class and flavor it’s Beer 30.

I have my whisky tasting tonight:
Rock Hill Farms
ORVW10
ORVW12
EC18
Stagg

Any suggestions on order if given the choice? I’m thinking of doing the Stagg last given its proof, but happy to hear suggestions. Wish me luck in the raffle!!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
No luck for me in my raffle :(.

I did get to try some nice bourbons though. I must say, I’m glad I got to try them, they are good but in no way worth the secondary prices in my opinion.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Asking for some scotch for am Christmas this year, but want to narrow the list down, what does everyone think of these bottles?

Balvenie 17 Doublewood: $127
Glenmorangie 18: $89
Glenmorangie nectar D’or: $75
Glenmorangie Quinta ruban: $53
Aberlour A’bunadh: $97
Chivas Regal Mizunara: $35

My gift givers have a ~$150 and ~$100 budget respectively.

Thinking Aberlour + Quinta
&
Glenmorangie 18

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Someone from my local bourbon Facebook group just posted a ‘scouting update’ from my local liquor shop.

In one hand, I’d love for them to get more business as they are really great. In the other, they have great prices and I hope they don’t get picked over now :(.

They had a few bottles of yamakazi 12 today for $75.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Gravitee posted:

All fair points. I've also seen some tragedies lately where they were packaged poorly and gave the contents away. You can't really ask for your money back if fedex drop kicked it on your front porch.

Uhhh yes, I would like to insure this package of salsa. How much? $1200 please.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That’s basically secondary pricing. I haven’t had all of those, but I absolutely don’t think stagg is worth $500. I’d rather stock my shelf with $30-50 bottles than have one bottle of those.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone had the Glendronach 18? I’m thinking of picking up a bottle as a ‘paid off all my student loans’ celebration.

One thing that makes me really interested is this article here:

https://wordsofwhisky.com/glendronach-is-a-lot-older-than-the-label-says/

Give the distillery was closed from 1996-2001, am 18 year Glendronach bottles in 2018 will actually be more like 23 years old.

$150 for a 23 year old scotch that is very well reviewed seems like a pretty good celebratory bottle!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Oh I totally agree, I was looking at that bottle before reading up about that deal. Just thought it was kind of a neat situation, and for most people the age on the bottle matters at least a little bit when it comes to purchasing.

Should it? I don’t know, probably not as much as it does, but when the price difference between an 18 and 23 year old whisky is normally hundreds of dollars, I think it makes for a unique opportunity.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Since no distillation occurred between 96-01, it is impossible for Glendronach 18yr to be made from anything but 23-year-old distillate or older. Anything made since 2001 would be younger than 18-years-old.

The possible catch is what I said...the distillate could have been stored in large metal tanks, and maturation only occurs in cask.

Yeah, I have no where near enough expertise to know if they juice was actually barreled prior to the shutdown or not.

If something was stored in metal tanks that long, would it even be usable? Like, I know that there’s a reason stainless steel is used instead of something like plastic(lol bourbon 30) cause it won’t leech flavor out of it, but I’d think that you’d get a metallic taste if something sat in a metal tank for five years. Heck, if water sits in my stainless steel water bottle over the weekend at work I feel like it tastes metallic if I accidentally take a sip.

Don’t go out and buy a bottle because of the theory, I was considering the bottle as the Glendronach 18 gets reviewed as one of the best sherries scotches on r/scotch pretty consistently. And I think it’s pretty common for people to have an age threshold they’d love to try, for me, 20 years has always been that mark, so it intrigued me.

But maybe I should just pickup a glenfarclas 21 or something :).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
They make little wood sticks you can put in a bottle of whisky to ‘enhance’ it. I think they are called whisky elements. I have no idea if they work, but could be an interesting experiment.

If you do it, make sure to set some whisky aside so you can do a taste test!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’m officially on the ‘nice’ list at my local liquor store. I stopped in there the other day to pickup a bottle of eagle rare to give my buddy and the manager said, ‘hey, I might have something else for you.’

He listed off a few bottles they’ve been holding back for their preferred customers. Most of it was somewhat tough to find bourbons:

Angels envy cask strength
Wood ford masters collection
Little book
Parker’s heritage curaçao finish

I picked up the parkers just because I like sweeter stuff and it sounds interesting. Might end up being terrible, but I told the manager I’d bring a sample back for him and he seemed to appreciate that.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Yuns posted:

Goddamnit. I just tried the George T Stagg 2018 back to back with my two favorites Knob Creek Single Barrel and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917 and while the KCSB and ECBP are very good, the GTS is outstanding. I didn't want to like it. I just wanted to declare it overrated and never get it again. Now I have to get one BTAC bottle a year. What's weird is that I didn't like Stagg Jr. all that much so I figured it would be more of the same but it's so much better. It's so well balanced. Oakiness without astrigency. Sweetness without cloying. Round and full palate with all the traditional bourbon notes plus a multitude of complex fruit notes. Powerful without harshness. Doesn't get too tannic. Definitely not spicy though. Cherries, oak, vanilla, caramel over spice is the aggregate nose and palate. So smooth.

I was really surprised when I nosed the GTS that the alcohol smell wasn’t overpowering. Definitely needed to add some water when tasting though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well my family came through this year for Christmas. Here’s the haul:

Aberlour A’bunadh Batch 47. Apparently this was sitting in a little liquor store at like $77 , which is $20 less than the current stuff costs around here. I think they are up to Batch 62 now, so this is likely a year or two old. If I enjoy this I might have to go see if they have another one on the shelf.

Dalmore Port wood reserve

Glenmorangie 18

Macallan 12 triple cask

Obama 14

Pretty solid!!

I’m currently trying out the parkers heritage curaçao finish right now, it’s quite pleasant. I like sweeter things so I love the bits of orange dreamsicle on the nose and palate, it was a good move to bottle at 110 proof because an 80 or 90 proof would likely be just to weak for the sweetness the curaçao brings . The orange isn’t too overpowering though, they did a good job keeping it fairly subdued. I was worried this was going to taste like a flavored whisky, but it doesn’t.

I’m digging it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not a highly sought after release or highly reviewed, it’s definitely different. But dang if I don’t find it tasty.

Tough to recommend any bourbon at $100 when there’s so much good stuff in the $20-$40 range, but if you see it in a bar I’d suggest a small pour if you don’t mind a bit of fruit/sweetness.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

wormil posted:

Obama 14, some tasting notes please.

Lol, drat phone!

Oban 14 of course. 14 year old Obama would definitely be forbidden.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zmcnulty posted:

How do you recall flavors?
Say you drink a whisky tonight. You can even write down some tasting notes.
A week from today. Can you actually remember what it tasted like? Or simply that it was good/bad/some other score?

I tend to remember the really distinct aspects for days / weeks after, but not super specifics beyond ‘ I liked this one a lot’ or ‘this was pretty bland’.

For instance, I had a sample of Wyoming Whiskey Outryder the other day and it was the first time I got a really sharp green apple smell on the nose. That’s stuck with me.

I had a glass of Aberlour 16 the other day as well and I can remember the overripe plum taste still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zmcnulty posted:

So, follow-up question. How do you feel about spending $$$ to drink once-in-a-liftetime whiskies? Considering you're unlikely to remember specifics of the flavor. Worth spending for the other aspects of the experience?

I’m probably not the best person to ask here, as there others who post here with much more experience with high $$$ bottles (20, 30+ year expressions, limited releases, etc).

For me, it depends on your financial situation and what you ‘get’ out of the experience. There’s a few people I’d probably go out and spend $40+ on a pour of scotch or something(although I’m far more likely to find 2-3 guys and split a bottle as the cost isn’t too far off), but that’s a small group of friends or family who will enjoy the drink, but really just enjoy the experience of trying something fancy, new, in good company.

In my humble opinion, it’s very unlikely that you will get an extra $250 of ‘value’ or even gap in quality between a $75 bottle of whisky and a $325. I think there absolutely are some diminishing returns. When I was younger I though more $$$ meant ‘smoother’ as in no burn. And while that can be true to a degree, I’m finding that I am starting to like some of the highest proof stuff, and naturally those will have some bite of you don’t dilute.

I did get to try some Rip Van Winkle 12 about a month ago and it was certainly good, but I’m glad it was a tasting because I would never pay $450 for it on the secondary market. I think you can get something 90% ‘as good’ for $40.