Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
New additions to a friend's whiskey collection; supposedly the 23 year old's production is going to be stopped but planning on opening the 15 year old tonight. For those still looking, we actually found a readily available supply in England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not sure if this applies to all Costcos but it looks like they're selling scotch at great prices again; I picked up a couple bottles of Lagavulin 16 at $55 and also saw Oban & Glenlivet 18 also for ~$50. Talisker Storm was going for $65 iirc and they also had the Kirkland Speyside 18 for $50.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stultus Maximus posted:

:toot: That's like $30 cheaper than I usually see Lagavulin, and I love Lagavulin. Where are you at?

Pasadena, CA. It's not an usual occurrence because I always check when I swing by Costco every month or so.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations on good, peaty Japanese single malts? I'm always interested in trying different versions of scotch and after buying my year's supply of Lagavulin 16, I realized that I've been drinking the same thing for a while now. I'm a big fan of Islay with usual go-to's being the aforementioned Lagavulin and Laphroaig 1/4 Cask.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

rufius posted:

That said, I think Hakushu 12 and 18 both have a nice amount of peat with grassiness and a pleasant sweetness. The 18 yr and Lagavulin 16 are my two favourite Whiskies.

The Hakushu 18 will be hard to find in the US for less than $200 (it sells duty free in JP for ~$150). The 12 yr can often be had for $60-$80.

I couldn't find the Hakushu 18 at all online, it looks the only hits are in HK and England but I'll keep an eye out for the 12 year old in stores.

biglads posted:

There was a run of Heavily Peated Hakushu recently, but looking around it appears to be discontinued. There's a handful of places still stocking it, but prices have gone up.

http://www.nicks.com.au/suntory-hakushu-heavily-peated-single-malt-whisky-700ml

I got mine for about £80 if memory serves. A very good dram, an initial clean and mineral taste with a bucket load of peat waiting to catch you out. I'd try a bit now for more info, but I've got to drive somewhere shortly.

In comparison to the Hakushu 18 above, I could actually find the Heavily Peated one for around £91 - 97 in California; given that the price is higher than your memory is the latter considered to be at a lower quality than the 18? Even so, I'm excited to try different productions of peaty scotches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sublimer posted:

What is a common price for Pappy 15? I know there's no way I can find one in a store and I want to purchase one as a gift for someone.

IIRC, at cost is $150 per bottle but right now it's going for about $550 - $800.