Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bengy81 posted:

I've had pizza out of an Ooni, never used it, but I just bought a Gozney roccbox, which is the same size oven. I was impressed with the pizza from the Ooni, and I've been impressed with the pizza out of my Roccbox. There is a food guy who comes to my neighborhood and sets up with a couple of Ooni's. He will sell 60 pizzas in about two hours (at 15 bux a pop) and I think its as good as anything you would get from a restaurant around here. We have 6 people in our household and 10-12 inch pies has been enough, so far at least, not sure when I would want to cook 16" pies, might be nice for making flatbreads though.

I agree, I won't know if the 16" would ever be worth it until after using the 12" for a minute to make a dozen pies or so. I was looking at the roccboxes, too! Any reason you went for that instead? Shape? Build quality? Just thought it looked better?

VVVV

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're thinking about 16" pies then there's some other considerations that should give you pause:

1. A 16" pie has roughly 1.7 times the surface area so you're nearly doubling the dough you're handling at once. That includes all the stretching and fussing over it where it could stuck somewhere and just go wrong.
2. A 16" pie is getting around the width of a pizza peel, which makes staging it on the peel a much more demanding challenge. Generally when I'm pulling for a 16" pizza, I really have to contend with how the pizza snaps back and how round it is. It has to be fairly precisely circular since I'm hugging close to the edge on the front, left, and right sides. The dough wants to snap back so I have to pull a little further and place it in a way that it contracts properly in place. If a little is off of the peel, there's a game I have to play where I have to shuffle the pizza on and then deal with the fallout of my dusting getting disheveled; something now wants to stick.

#2 and #1 kind of play into each other. If I just had a 12" peel and was making 12" pizzas, I'd have to deal with that precision somewhat, but it's an easier, lighter doughball, and the consequences are lower if I have to give up and fling it over the fence or whatever.

Totally! The 16" option would only come into play AFTER I buy and try out the 12" and if I decide the 12" is not enough, which I'm pretty sure it would be. The difficulty level increases a lot going from 12 to 16 and it would likely feel like a waste when my wife and I just make 10-12" pizzas 95% of the time.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If you're thinking about 16" pies then there's some other considerations that should give you pause:

1. A 16" pie has roughly 1.7 times the surface area so you're nearly doubling the dough you're handling at once. That includes all the stretching and fussing over it where it could stuck somewhere and just go wrong.
2. A 16" pie is getting around the width of a pizza peel, which makes staging it on the peel a much more demanding challenge. Generally when I'm pulling for a 16" pizza, I really have to contend with how the pizza snaps back and how round it is. It has to be fairly precisely circular since I'm hugging close to the edge on the front, left, and right sides. The dough wants to snap back so I have to pull a little further and place it in a way that it contracts properly in place. If a little is off of the peel, there's a game I have to play where I have to shuffle the pizza on and then deal with the fallout of my dusting getting disheveled; something now wants to stick.

#2 and #1 kind of play into each other. If I just had a 12" peel and was making 12" pizzas, I'd have to deal with that precision somewhat, but it's an easier, lighter doughball, and the consequences are lower if I have to give up and fling it over the fence or whatever.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

El Jebus posted:

I agree, I won't know if the 16" would ever be worth it until after using the 12" for a minute to make a dozen pies or so. I was looking at the roccboxes, too! Any reason you went for that instead? Shape? Build quality? Just thought it looked better?

Price was the main reason I got the Roccbox. Gozney did an extended black Friday sale, and you could get the Roccbox for $399. Even at $499 it's not much more expensive than the Ooni, as it comes with a peel. Honestly, the Roccbox looks nicer, the local hardware story has an Ooni on display, and if you didn't know what it was, you wouldn't be very impressed by it. Looking good isn't really a huge deal for me though, as it's gonna sit in my garage between uses. If I had a covered patio or an area where it was more protected from weather, that might be a different story.

There are some build differences between the two units, the Roccbox has a thicker stone, but it's not easily replaced, while the Ooni stone is user replaceable, and cheap, like 25 bux I think. I don't think that matters a whole lot unless you are planning on running dozens of pizzas through your oven a night.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 27, 2022

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

El Jebus posted:

So, speaking of pizza, I'm looking at the ooni 12" wood or gas fired oven. This one

It isn't pro level but it seems like it will get me where I want without a 3 hour drive to Vegas for ogopogopie. I trust goon opinions more than "top 20 pizza ovens" from Papa John's Pizza Oven Reviews and figured I'd ask before pulling the trigger. This one makes 12" pizzas and it doubles in price if you go to the 16", which I might be tempted to get if I love this one enough (and give it to my mom who has always wanted an outdoor pizza oven).

I'm no pro but I've been really happy with my 16" gas fired ooni. I don't actually make 16" pies, they're closer to 12", maybe a little bigger. But I find the extra room in the oven helpful since I can adjust how close the pizza is to the flame, and having more surface area lets you move the pizza around to suck up more heat from the stone if needed to get the bottom crispy.

I've mostly been making more traditional pies and wanted to try something different the other day, so I came up with this:

Japanese curry pizza with a curry base, karaage marinated chicken thigh, potatoes carrots and onions, and garnished with green onions and toasted bread crumbs + sesame seeds. I added a bit of toasted sesame oil to the dough and used about 10% rice flour and it got nice and crispy.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

dizzywhip posted:

I'm no pro but I've been really happy with my 16" gas fired ooni. I don't actually make 16" pies, they're closer to 12", maybe a little bigger. But I find the extra room in the oven helpful since I can adjust how close the pizza is to the flame, and having more surface area lets you move the pizza around to suck up more heat from the stone if needed to get the bottom crispy.

I've mostly been making more traditional pies and wanted to try something different the other day, so I came up with this:

Japanese curry pizza with a curry base, karaage marinated chicken thigh, potatoes carrots and onions, and garnished with green onions and toasted bread crumbs + sesame seeds. I added a bit of toasted sesame oil to the dough and used about 10% rice flour and it got nice and crispy.

oh this is totally my jam

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Can anyone recommend for some precooked italian sausage? I'm tired of cooking the stuff myself. I've never seen precooked in my typical grocery stores but I haven't really been looking until now.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Have you tried putting uncooked sausage on the pizza and letting it cook there? Best way to do it IMO.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I have not, I assumed the oven wouldn't cook it properly.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

It won’t unless you have a really long cook.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I guess you could check the freezer section for precooked sausage crumbles. If I were you I would cook up a big batch and then freeze it in smaller pizza-ready portions.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bees x1000 posted:

ColHannibal posted:

It won’t unless you have a really long cook.

I do raw sausage on my 60 second Neapolitans and it cooks great. You just need to do small pinches, like dime-sized.

On a NY/American style in a home oven, as long as it’s on top it should easily cook anything under like, fist-sized globs.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Doom Rooster posted:

I do raw sausage on my 60 second Neapolitans and it cooks great. You just need to do small pinches, like dime-sized.

On a NY/American style in a home oven, as long as it’s on top it should easily cook anything under like, fist-sized globs.

hmmm it doesn't feel right to me but I'm going to do a test run tomorrow. I'll report back.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bees x1000 posted:

hmmm it doesn't feel right to me but I'm going to do a test run tomorrow. I'll report back.

Good luck. To be clear, fist sized is exaggeration. Aim for pieces the size that you actually would want to eat and you’ll be fine.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Doom Rooster posted:

Good luck. To be clear, fist sized is exaggeration. Aim for pieces the size that you actually would want to eat and you’ll be fine.
Welp, you were right. Sausage was slightly crispy and cooked through.

Now I can buy a pound, cut it into small sections and thaw one portion at a time. Save on precooking effort and food waste. Very cool, thanks.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Making pizza with friends tomorrow. I was making pizza every other week earlier this year and started to get pretty good at it, but that all stopped when my life blew up from a bad divorce. Now that I'm in a better living setup, I'm hoping that getting back on a creative endeavor I enjoy (making delicious pizza) will be a path towards wellness after this disastrous year of my life.

Anyway, for this recipe, I've done a 10-day ferment on my dough. Hopefully my friend's friend is good at making sauce. toppings will be sassage, basil, tomato, prosciutto, olives and pears.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bees x1000 posted:

Welp, you were right. Sausage was slightly crispy and cooked through.

Now I can buy a pound, cut it into small sections and thaw one portion at a time. Save on precooking effort and food waste. Very cool, thanks.

Glad it worked out!

drat, that's a good looking pie.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

Making pizza with friends tomorrow. I was making pizza every other week earlier this year and started to get pretty good at it, but that all stopped when my life blew up from a bad divorce. Now that I'm in a better living setup, I'm hoping that getting back on a creative endeavor I enjoy (making delicious pizza) will be a path towards wellness after this disastrous year of my life.

Anyway, for this recipe, I've done a 10-day ferment on my dough. Hopefully my friend's friend is good at making sauce. toppings will be sassage, basil, tomato, prosciutto, olives and pears.
10 days? Are these cracker crusts????

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey ogopogo, it looks like my detroit dough performed very similar to your video with the big bubbles and all. My blanks are too gelatinized though; they're very wettish in the center, which is a thing I get with high-hydration doughs. People that don't know any better think it's undercooked. I think I actually have to drop the bake down and run it longer. Well, it's what I'm going to try next anyways.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Of course there's a pizza thread, I should have known there's a pizza thread.

I feel like my main struggle with pizza is figuring out new toppings to try. What're folks' favourite combos? Caveat: Must be appropriate for dropping on top of tomato sauce and cheese, pizza bianca is a war crime.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like my main struggle with pizza is figuring out new toppings to try. What're folks' favourite combos? Caveat: Must be appropriate for dropping on top of tomato sauce and cheese, pizza bianca is a war crime.

For neapolitan mine is mozz, sopressata, habanero, a bit of olive oil, and basil... then honey after it comes out of the oven.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

PurpleXVI posted:

Here's a typical rotation I go through:

- Thin sliced yukon gold potatoes, smoked gruyere, chives (note - this can get heavy quickly, be careful when launching)
- Chicken (usually stripped wings or chopped fingers), buffalo sauce, drizzle blue cheese or ranch, red onions
- Steak, gorgonzola, caramelized onions
- Pulled pork, red onions, bbq sauce (this can be modified to a banh mi version with quick pickled carrots & cukes, mayo/sriracha mix, cilantro)
- Prosciutto, ham or bacon, thin chopped pineapple, ricotta
- Sweet or hot italian sausage (crumbled & raw or slightly par-cooked), caramelized onions & peppers, ricotta
- Fresh mozz, gourmet pepperoni or spicy salumi (not the generic boring kind), hot honey
- Fried eggplant, parm, ricotta & basil

Non tomato/cheese base options:
- Fig jam spread, thin pear slices, goat cheese. Add arugula, prosciutto & olive oil for the last minute or two
- Olive oil, garlic, chicken, light mozz. Add caesar dressed greens & parm after the pizza is cooked
- Chris Bianca's Rosa has been a favorite as of late: Olive oil, parm, red onions, rosemary, crushed pistachios
- "War Crime": Alfredo sauce base, caramelized onions, mushrooms, shrimp, red crushed & garlic. This usually gets some minor amount of mozz/feta/brie/ricotta depending on what's remaining.

If I'm bored, I'll usually reference James McNair's New Pizza for inspiration.

GP035 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 5, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GP035 posted:

Here's a typical rotation I go through:

- Thin sliced yukon gold potatoes, smoked gruyere, chives (note - this can get heavy quickly, be careful when launching)
- Chicken (usually stripped wings or chopped fingers), buffalo sauce, drizzle blue cheese or ranch, red onions
- Steak, gorgonzola, caramelized onions
- Pulled pork, red onions, bbq sauce (this can be modified to a banh mi version with quick pickled carrots & cukes, mayo/sriracha mix, cilantro)
- Prosciutto, ham or bacon, thin chopped pineapple, ricotta
- Sweet or hot italian sausage (crumbled & raw or slightly par-cooked), caramelized onions & peppers, ricotta
- Fresh mozz, gourmet pepperoni or spicy salumi (not the generic boring kind), hot honey

I don't know why, but I always end up feeling when I throw chicken or beef on a pizza, it ends up comparatively flavourless. Any tips in that regard?

The potatoes are an interesting idea, do you prepare them in any way first or do they go on the pizza sliced but raw?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ive mentioned it a few times here but when i have leftover thai satay, i make a pizza with peanut sauce instead of tomato sauce, diced satay leftovers, shallot slices and garnish with cilantro and green onion after removing from oven

90% of the time i just want a pepperoni pizza

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogarza posted:

For neapolitan mine is mozz, sopressata, habanero, a bit of olive oil, and basil... then honey after it comes out of the oven.

There’s a neapolitan chain in DFW that’s all those ingredients plus an added bacon marmalade. Excellent pie.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

My favorite as of late has been hot giardiniera and sausage. The acid from that is amazing on a pizza, and technically it’s carrots and cauliflower.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't know why, but I always end up feeling when I throw chicken or beef on a pizza, it ends up comparatively flavourless. Any tips in that regard?

The potatoes are an interesting idea, do you prepare them in any way first or do they go on the pizza sliced but raw?

For chicken or beef, I'll typically use something that's prepared already or leftover from a marinade or previous meal. Buying a few wings from the hot bar is lazy, but it works. Adding the other unique ingredients should avoid the bland issue.

The potatoes are raw, sliced as thin as possible on a mandoline then dried on a paper towel.

I will caveat that I use a pellet grill with the GMG pizza oven attachment. Temps reach ~700 and total cooking time of ~5 minutes, as opposed to an ooni or similar that's much hotter and faster.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PurpleXVI posted:

You probably need more salt. This sounds kind of lovely, but that meat's going to lose in a fight against, say, pepperoni. I've had decent mileage from chicken breast that's been brined and given a quick cook beforehand.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unseasoned meat sucks anywhere, even on a pizza. Season up your chicken with whatever spices you dig. Go Mediterranean or Mexican or whatever. Each topping should taste good on its own.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My toddler requested "Chinese pizza" for dinner a couple weeks ago so I made a kung pao chicken pizza with the meat marinated then drizzled with a soy glaze and it wasn't bad but as Rocko said it couldn't hold a candle to pizza #2 with pepperoni and sauteed mushrooms.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Is there a trick to keep pepperoni from going bad quickly? I switched to salami because I couldn't get halfway through the package without it going moldy.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is there a trick to keep pepperoni from going bad quickly? I switched to salami because I couldn't get halfway through the package without it going moldy.

Huh, that's not a problem I've ever had with Walmart brand. I buy the 21oz mega pack and it easily lasts the 1-2 months it takes to use it all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I keep snacking on it; it's never been a problem for me :shrug:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Freezer.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I buy the Bridgford logs of the stuff and I've never had it go bad in the fridge

but for presliced,

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's the point of pepperoni? Compared to salami it's like baloney compared to ham: just not good. I buy sticks of salami and keep them in a Ziploc in the fridge. The ones that have the paper covering keep fresh best.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I am making pizzas

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

redreader posted:

What's the point of pepperoni? Compared to salami it's like baloney compared to ham: just not good. I buy sticks of salami and keep them in a Ziploc in the fridge. The ones that have the paper covering keep fresh best.

:metis:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

thatsbait.gif

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Empty Sandwich posted:

I buy the Bridgford logs of the stuff and I've never had it go bad in the fridge

I would sell a year of my life for those to come back to Canada :(

Best, tastiest, greasiest pepperoni ever

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

redreader posted:

What's the point of pepperoni? Compared to salami it's like baloney compared to ham: just not good.

"I've never had a pepperoni pizza in my life"