Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Random Hero posted:

Very cool. Any pictures of the final product?

This was the second one. Probably too much cheese on it but still pretty tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Murgos posted:

This looks like an absolutely perfect example, I fuckin want it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Murgos posted:

Looks pretty spot on for tavern style. Would definitely eat that. Love the look of the sausage.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Found some mozarella di bufala Campana DOP on deep discount. Was out of rocket so didn't dress it on a bed of that as is usual, instead went with nduja and blanched raisins (raisins on half since it was controversial).

Next time I won't blanch the raisins- I was expecting them to give up more moisture in the oven but they stayed soft and I was looking for a bit of chew to it. Otherwise really nice.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Murgos posted:

Very nice.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

beerinator posted:

Also if you don't want to go to NYT to get the recipe, the dough portion is in the comments here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mIbyUgNOlo

Murgos posted:

Welp, guess I'm doing this style this week.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I tried a 75% hydration dough and the stretching video from the bread thread. Is it possible to make pizza too thin?

(It was delicious and extremely good, just a little cheese and oregano on it, and a little tomato thrown on afterwards)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I made pizza using the NYT Roberta’s dough last weekend and I really liked it. It’s half 00 and half AP flour. Also will always use parchment paper going forward instead of just flour and pizza peel. Much easier to launch and stretch. Spray a bit of water on both sides of the paper so that it sticks to the surface and so that the dough doesn’t shrink on the paper.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/Fiov5a4.mp4

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mods?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
So that's how calzones were invented.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Those little shakes lol. If you're using a peel you gotta eject with confidence or don't bother.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Those little shakes lol. If you're using a peel you gotta eject with confidence or don't bother.

With a floured wooden peel, the little shakes are the way to go. With perforated peels, you gotta be decisive.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
In the mood for some detroit pie this weekend and ended up giving a no knead focaccia type dough a try, and it came out bangin, and dead simple, too. 500/350/15/5g Flour/water/salt/yeast, mix in to shaggy ball, cover and let sit out on the counter for a day.

(Side note but wegmans brand pep aren't nearly as tasty as boar's head stick pepperoni, I definitely hosed up with that choice)

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Gwaihir posted:

In the mood for some detroit pie this weekend and ended up giving a no knead focaccia type dough a try, and it came out bangin, and dead simple, too. 500/350/15/5g Flour/water/salt/yeast, mix in to shaggy ball, cover and let sit out on the counter for a day.

(Side note but wegmans brand pep aren't nearly as tasty as boar's head stick pepperoni, I definitely hosed up with that choice)

That looks tasty as hell. Also man I miss Wegmans

I wanna make a thick crust some time soon. I'm gearing up to make my standard thin crust for the first time in like six months, just to get my feet back under me. Thick crust in cast iron comes next.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I did another one yesterday to use up the last of the sauce and pep I had in the fridge, and used a different dough recipe with fantastic results.

I went with Brian Lagerstrom's 24 hour focaccia from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC2mbadj8gQ
24 HOUR
•360g or 1.5c 86f/30c water + additional 20g
•10g 2 1/3tsp sugar
•25g or 1 3/4 TBSP olive oil + 1/4c+ to oil pan
•450g or 3.5c bread flour (12.7% protein)
•4g or 1 1/4 tsp yeast
•12g or 2tsp salt

Measure 360g water, sugar, olive oil, and flour into a medium bowl. stir to combine. Finish mixing with a wet hand. cover and let rise for 30 min. After 30 min, add 20g water, yeast, and salt and mix with a very wet hand. cover and ferment at room temp for 30 min then do a strength building fold and slap and fold as shown at 5:06. Cover and let rise for 30 more minutes. Complete a second strength building fold and slap and fold. Cover and allow to ferment in the fridge for 4-24 hours.

Load dough into a 12" cast iron oiled with about 1/4c olive oil. Use oiled finger tips to dimple the dough and stretch it out into the pan. Cover and let proof for 1 hour 15min. Next, drizzle top of the dough generously with olive oil, then dimple with your fingertips. Cover and let proof once more for 1 hour.
Liberally salt with flaky salt then bake in 500F / 260C oven for 15-18min.

I've had really great results with all of his bread/dough related recipes and this one was no different. Excellent taste, soft fluffy interior, perfectly crusty outside.

I added some pancetta on this one help out the slightly bland peps

Extra cheese to the edges for the fully crispy sides (Actual focaccia hiding off to the side)

Tons of rise and fluff from the inside of the dough:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

What's the consensus on these type of ovens? Are there ones that are better than others? Do they do a good job? Do they burn through a lot of fuel for the effort?

I am wanting to get one of these but there are a lot of options and they are not inexpensive so I want to make sure if I get one that its a good one.

Is there a thread that's more suited for that discussion?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trastion posted:

What's the consensus on these type of ovens? Are there ones that are better than others? Do they do a good job? Do they burn through a lot of fuel for the effort?

I am wanting to get one of these but there are a lot of options and they are not inexpensive so I want to make sure if I get one that its a good one.

I have that Ooni specifically (the Fyra,) and love it to death. Its a way better oven than I am a pizza maker. That said, I paid $250 for it in 2020 when it came out, not $350 like it is now. That's a bit of a steeper ask, imo.

I will say that if I didn't already have wood pellets around (for a pellet smoker,) I'd be a little annoyed with having to deal with them, and probably would have gone gas. As it is, its a breeze to light, and it really doesnt burn very much fuel since you're really not cooking for long. Generally a full load of fuel to bring it to temp, and a half to a full load to cook with is plenty. Ends up being maybe a pound or two of pellets per session?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Trastion posted:

I have the Ooni Koda 16, and I really enjoy it. I am glad I got the gas type, it makes me much more likely to fire it up on a normal weekday when I have less time. I haven't done much experimenting with using it for other stuff, I know a lot of people use it to sear steak etc, or use it with cast iron for various things. Hopefully I can get more into that end of it this year.

That said, it is not cheap so I'd only get one if you are feeling frustrated at the limits of your standard oven.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Trastion posted:

I have a Gozney Roccbox, I bought it in December I think. I spent a few months researching them, and it was difficult because most reviewers were very much shilling for one specific oven and didn't even try to hide their bias.
Ultimately I bought the Roccbox because it was on sale for $100 less than retail, so it made it a little cheaper than the comparable Ooni, since it comes with a peel and the gas burner.
Gozney claims you can get 20 plus hours of burn time out of a propane tank, I can't verify that, as I move my tank between different outdoor cooking appliances, but it uses significantly less over a two hour period than say, my griddle does.

Not sure about the other brands, but my oven really does neapolitan pizza well, but the learning curve is a motherfucker. I think I've made a 3 or 4 dozen pizzas, and I would say that maybe 1 out of 4 would be something I would pay money for at a restaurant and feel good about it. Having said that, unless its burnt to a crisp or got stuck, or fell, it still makes for better pizza than 99% of the places you are gonna go eat at.

I have tried to make NY style pies in mine and haven't had much luck, apparently some people claim to though. The oven will take a 10" skillet or grill pan, so I've made some pretty bomb buffalo wings it, and I imagine I could probably get a decent pan pizza, but I haven't given it a try yet.

If you sign up for their email list, Gozney will send you recipes and links to some videos of people committing absolute food crimes with their products, well worth a watch IMO.

edit:
Wal-mart sells this, and some dudes on reddit are claiming to have good luck with it.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 7, 2023

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Thanks guys. I will probably go with the gas option as it would be easier though I do already buy pellets for my smoker...

I was looking at the Blackstone Products on here. https://blackstoneproducts.com/products/pizza-oven-conversion-kit-stainless-steel its $400 but you can buy a griddle top for it to turn it into a 22" griddle also.

I just want to get into making more homemade pizzas and the oven/pizza stone route just doesn't get that nice char on the crust that I want.

I work from home 2 days a week so being able to fire this up for a few minutes to rock out a pie for lunch would be great. Also if it is "portable" I could see taking it to friends and family's houses for pizza parties and such.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I have the Ooni Karu 16 with the gas attachment so I can do wood/charcoal or gas. It was expensive, but I love using it and have no regrets. A family member has the Gozney Dome which is amazing but a much more significant investment.

Gas is the way to go for purely pizza and maybe a few other things, but I have used my oven for other things just as much... Things like finishing a steak, kebabs, fajitas and veggies are pretty great in a wood fired pizza oven.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Trastion posted:

I was looking at the Blackstone Products on here. https://blackstoneproducts.com/products/pizza-oven-conversion-kit-stainless-steel its $400 but you can buy a griddle top for it to turn it into a 22" griddle also.

The Oonis are well-received and it's questionable if I would have ever become a pizza-oven-building nutcase if they were around in the late-oughts when I built my first. That doesn't mean as a category that those "portable ovens" (they're portable to me because they aren't cemented to the ground) as all okay. That Blackstone, for example, just has one round stone on it. The Oonis have a complete floor. That's a challenge to your launching accuracy and it's less thermal mass.

Here's a video of a newer $800 Blackstone pizza oven and he was not impressed with how it shipped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry9QxPqiDLY

I guess the round stone turns on its own. It sounds more like a gimmick to me when you could just use a turning peel. Heck, that's half the fun! It also, surprisingly, runs too hot! I actually think this is an issue of a lack of thermal mass. Larger pizzas cuddling the edge of the round burn their crusts because they're seeing the flame. New York pizza cooks too fast and chars the bottom.

Heh, I actually like that guy and subscribed from that video review.

Edit: Also, high fives on griddling. I found out I like to do more griddle stuff than grill stuff in general. Like, I prefer smashburgers, so I figure when I set up at a new place that I was going to get something that was more griddle than grill, instead of more grill than griddle.

Edit edit: A lot of comments about reducing flow using the tank regulator. I actually agree with the reviewer that shouldn't be the trick. I also anticipate some variation with that between takes, fills, and the current level of the tank. It's not a thing I'd like to have to fiddle with all the time.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 7, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

this pizza oven is like 1000 bucks but works indoors which is dank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqIXez40Hg&t=53s
they do mention that you have to turn the pizza half way through cooking cause it doesn't heat evenly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can always look for 80s era clamshell ovens for indoor. Break the heat detector and you have a good fire hazard

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lollin at the the $800 BBQ grill with a ceramic pizza stone that spins like a microwave tray

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

lollin at the the $800 BBQ grill with a ceramic pizza stone that spins like a microwave tray

I went to a pizza place in Paris and they had a giant wood fired oven with a bunch of those on their own big circle, all going around the oven

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Random Hero posted:

I have the Ooni Karu 16 with the gas attachment so I can do wood/charcoal or gas. It was expensive, but I love using it and have no regrets. A family member has the Gozney Dome which is amazing but a much more significant investment.

Gas is the way to go for purely pizza and maybe a few other things, but I have used my oven for other things just as much... Things like finishing a steak, kebabs, fajitas and veggies are pretty great in a wood fired pizza oven.

I've got the same oven and I feel the same way. I probably use gas 80% of the time but my wife swears everything tastes a little better with wood. It heats up fast with either, and I never realized how useful an 800 degree oven can be. I also like using mine for steaks, chicken shawarma/kebabs and vegetables. Most of all I like making pita/naan. Watching a pita inflate like a balloon in <30 seconds never gets old. I did learn last week that it's not a good idea to put parchment paper in. The part not under the pizza pretty much incinerated immediately and the part under turned to a hopefully not too toxic layer of ash by the end.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ihop posted:

I've got the same oven and I feel the same way. I probably use gas 80% of the time but my wife swears everything tastes a little better with wood. It heats up fast with either, and I never realized how useful an 800 degree oven can be. I also like using mine for steaks, chicken shawarma/kebabs and vegetables. Most of all I like making pita/naan. Watching a pita inflate like a balloon in <30 seconds never gets old. I did learn last week that it's not a good idea to put parchment paper in. The part not under the pizza pretty much incinerated immediately and the part under turned to a hopefully not too toxic layer of ash by the end.

Are there any special instructions for doing Pita in it or is it a normal recipe then cook directly on the stone? I've been meaning to try doing them

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

When I was young my mum used to make us "pita bread pizzas" as a lazy meal, pitta bread with ketchup pregrated mozza and peperami. Loved it as a kid, don't want to do it again because they were probably actually gross

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I use the same recipe for pita bread and pizza dough sometimes, could be fine!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I use the NYT pita recipe, which is essentially pizza dough. Roll them out, put them on a floured peel and straight onto the stone. They cook the same as a pizza, except in a 3rd the time and sometimes I have to flip them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

distortion park posted:

I went to a pizza place in Paris and they had a giant wood fired oven with a bunch of those on their own big circle, all going around the oven

This and the "one giant stone that rotates" is a very common thing in the commercial/ restaurant woodfire pizza world

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
You can also make pita in a pan like pancakes, I see like greek/middle eastern places cook them on the griddle all the time, I've done it and they come out pretty good

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

this dude is living the dream running a pizza food truck abroad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZs4hWPiKk

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok my Ooni Koda 12 will be here Wed.

What is the thread favorite dough recipe?

Also what is the consensus on things like a Pizza Dough Docker? Are they needed or only if you want really thin crust?

https://www.amazon.com/pizza-docker/s?k=pizza+docker

Any other must have tools? The oven comes with a Peel and I already have a decent Slicer, though I might get a Rocker at some point.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

Also what is the consensus on things like a Pizza Dough Docker? Are they needed or only if you want really thin crust?

https://www.amazon.com/pizza-docker/s?k=pizza+docker

I've only ever seen a docker used to mass produce cheaper pies (ie. college campus eatery with a belt oven turning out 3-4 a minute), seems pretty unnecessary for home use.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Pizza docker is handy for tavern pies and flat breads, but it's hardly a necessity.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok i wont bother with a docker for now then.

Any other tools I might want to get? Good things to tell the wife and kids to get me for Father's Day...

Also what's the go to dough recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Trastion posted:

Ok i wont bother with a docker for now then.

Any other tools I might want to get? Good things to tell the wife and kids to get me for Father's Day...

Also what's the go to dough recipe?

My recipe:

1150g high protein flour + semolina (can be up to half & half, usually I do like 4:1 flour:semolina)
1 tsp dry yeast
2.5 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
700g water (30C or so)

Bloom yeast in water + sugar, mix in stand mixer on medium low w/ dough hook until you get something that sticks to the bottom but not the sides + an additional 3 minutes. Divvy up into 4-6 doughballs, ferment in fridge for 3-14 days.

For pizza-specific accessories, all I have is a stone and a metal peel. I do everything by weight when possible though.