Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«46 »
BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

Can't wait to see them pics when you get your steel!

Grandma pie is a NYC thing, a slight variant on a Sicilian pizza. It's an olive oil covered square sheet pan pizza, dough stretched out on it and covered with mozz first then sauce. Grandma pie doesn't have as long a fermentation as a Sicilian and makes for a different kind of dough when cooked in the oven. It's an East Coast/NYC pizza for sure, slowly making its way out West (apparently - this is what I'm hearing from the pizza dudes I talk to). It's good!

interesting! i've been really digging the detroit style stuff from a place near me but i need to try making it at home, do you have a recipe for detroit style dough? i think kenji has a recipe but i figured you probably have one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

Coming in the club with that fresh shit on with something crazy on my arm

So I tried out my pizzastone for the first time tonight. Had some issues getting the dough to behave but ended up with a solid result.

I did all the dough stretching on a floured cutting board and apparently it all got used up during the stretching/kneading because the pizza was stuck to it. I tried to transfer it over but it ended up being a gigantic mess.

For future reference, is there some trick to transferring the pizza onto the hot stone? It's so soft and sticky I have no idea.

e:

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 02:21

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Salvor_Hardin posted:

For future reference, is there some trick to transferring the pizza onto the hot stone? It's so soft and sticky I have no idea.

I would use either flour or cornmeal on your peel or whatever you're using to transfer the pizza to the oven. If you're using flour, be a little mindful of how much because it can burn and taste pretty bitter. Cornmeal doesn't burn as easily.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallen Rib

Do you have a pizza peel or was it just the cutting board?

A peel will make it easier, and others will fill in with more tips, but hereís a few:

When you make it on a cutting board or even a peel, you only have so long to assemble the pizza before transferring to the oven. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to move it. If you donít have a peel, you could stretch the dough, then transfer it to a cookie sheet upside down with parchment paper on it, then assemble it, and then slide it onto the stone.

Another thing is throwing semolina flour or rice flour on the peel or cutting board or whatever. It tends to work better than normal flour for slipping the dough off.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

Coming in the club with that fresh shit on with something crazy on my arm

nwin posted:

Do you have a pizza peel or was it just the cutting board?

A peel will make it easier, and others will fill in with more tips, but hereís a few:

When you make it on a cutting board or even a peel, you only have so long to assemble the pizza before transferring to the oven. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to move it. If you donít have a peel, you could stretch the dough, then transfer it to a cookie sheet upside down with parchment paper on it, then assemble it, and then slide it onto the stone.

Another thing is throwing semolina flour or rice flour on the peel or cutting board or whatever. It tends to work better than normal flour for slipping the dough off.

Yeah the timing is something I was just reading about. My pizza was hanging out on that plastic cutting board for 15min before I tried to transfer it. It sounds like corn meal, timing, and maybe parchment paper (does the paper go onto the stone?) would help a lot.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

(does the paper go onto the stone?)
I make and bake my pizzas on parchment paper, mostly because .

Pros: easy to transfer, easy to roll the dough out with a pin
Cons: you're limited to the temperature of the parchment (typically 450įF)

I heat my stone at 500įF, then turn the temp down to 450į when I put the pizza+parchment in. That helps with (but doesn't eliminate) the problem of the crust not being very brown when the top is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallen Rib

Make sure if you use corn meal-donít throw it on the preheated stone directly. That poo poo burns up and smokes quick. Itís fine if you put it on a peel and then the dough goes on top of that as you transfer it to the stone.

«46 »