Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«53 »
forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alright I think I've got my technique down. Very close to my "grail" pizza.

1000g Caputo 00
650g Water
30g Salt
1 g IDY

No autolyse, I've found it didn't make any difference. Just mix the salt and water, use the paddle attachment, and add flour until a very thick batter has formed. Sprinkle in the yeast while the mixer runs to distribute it (this seemed to make a huge difference). Then swap to the hook and add the rest of the flour. Pour out, let it rest, and do a 4-way stretch and fold. Cover, rest 10 mins, stretch and fold. Repeat until the dough looks silky smooth. Rise at room temp 12 hrs, ball, proof for 12 hrs, checking every now and then to see if the balls have over-risen. In my proofing tray, the balls will just start to touch each other when they've hit their peak rise. If they look like they're going too quickly, retard a bit in the fridge.

This batch I sliced the basil into ribbons and mixed it into the sauce before topping - half my guests liked it, half (including myself) liked the whole leaves better.

In the PP oven, I had significantly underestimated how much flame I needed. The floor should be at 800+ with a roaring fire.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2018 around 02:57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

goku i won't do what u tell me

god drat

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009

Hair Elf

That's like my platonic ideal looking neapolitan pie, drat. That tomato sauce looks spicy and delicious especially.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

forbidden dialectics posted:

Alright I think I've got my technique down. Very close to my "grail" pizza.

In the PP oven, I had significantly underestimated how much flame I needed. The floor should be at 800+ with a roaring fire.

This is a very choice pizza and it looks stunning, bet it tasted just as good!
In the PP oven, you really do have to manage the proper deck heat while making sure to pump the top heat when cooking. Anthony from Una Pizza Napoletana used to (still does?) use wood shavings/bark to dump on the fire right before cooking pizzas to give a burst of heat. The trick is keeping the deck from getting too hot and burning pies on the bottom before the top cooks. But honestly it looks like you've nailed it so now it's all just tweaking this or that every time you cook!

EDIT:
What kind of wood are you burning? All good, clean hardwood?

ogopogo fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2018 around 05:06

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ogopogo posted:

This is a very choice pizza and it looks stunning, bet it tasted just as good!
In the PP oven, you really do have to manage the proper deck heat while making sure to pump the top heat when cooking. Anthony from Una Pizza Napoletana used to (still does?) use wood shavings/bark to dump on the fire right before cooking pizzas to give a burst of heat. The trick is keeping the deck from getting too hot and burning pies on the bottom before the top cooks. But honestly it looks like you've nailed it so now it's all just tweaking this or that every time you cook!

EDIT:
What kind of wood are you burning? All good, clean hardwood?

I'm using kiln-dried apple from a local guy that makes wood specifically for cooking (http://www.cookingwoods.com). After preheating and moving the coal bed to the side and putting in the heat separator, I usually put a couple logs on the right side away from the fire. They get hot and smoulder, so when I plop them on the coals they ignite instantly. This helps a lot in the lulls between pies when the flames tend to die down a bit, but the floor is still plenty hot.

Heners_UK
Jun 1, 2002

If you want more toppings that piss off people who are not eating the pizza: sweetcorn.

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

well i moved recently and my new place has a gas oven and even though i can set the max temp to 500, according to my new oven thermometer it actually maxes out at 450 and definitely does not recover heat as fast as my former electric oven did.

I made a couple pizzas last night, and while they were a bit too much dough (probably should have used about 12-13oz instead of 15-16oz) i didnt get a single bit of blackening on the bottom and hardly any real browning

so what is the best solution for getting back to 500? i preheated for over an hour but i guess i could put the pizza steel on a burner and then struggle to get it into the oven but i'm not exactly wild about that since the steel is so unwieldy

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallen Rib

Is the broiler on the top? Maybe after preheating for an hour you can turn the broiler on high and let it heat the steel that way for a bit. Iíve managed to get my steel up to about 600 doing that, where my stove maxes at 550.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Mushroom pizza!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

I tried to make a pesto/mozz/tomato/artichoke pizza and failed made a decent calzone though.

«53 »