Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«56 »
large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Made Kenji's foolproof pan pizzas for the hundredth time. The best when you're craving that thick slice with the crispy fried bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I am NOT a merry man!

large hands posted:

Made Kenji's foolproof pan pizzas for the hundredth time. The best when you're craving that thick slice with the crispy fried bottom.

I am inspired to make pizza tomorrow. Got any specific tips or tricks for Kenjiís recipe?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.

Fun Shoe

Those are great because they work in any old lovely oven.

My only tip is to make sure you do the lift step to get the bottom oiled up right before topping and baking, otherwise it sticks and breaks apart for me really easily.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Weigh ingredients, cover the dough tightly and make sure the dough doesn't dry out while fermenting. if it's not stretching, let it rest and try again. Use dry mozzarella.

If you're eating tomorrow, make the dough tonight.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Tried my first big NYC style pizza with my sourdough. My buddy invited me to his shop to cook them in his deck oven, definitely happy with how it turned out. The deck was dirty so the bottom looked more charred than it was. Came out as a nice, thin, crispy NYC slice with a lot of great subtle tang to the dough. It being my first time working that size of dough, I didn't work the edge as well as I could have, thus the big bubble char, but even that was really good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

"The A+ TCC poster
you did nazi coming."

Iím jealous of all these beautiful pizzas. I used to make a pretty mean pie, then my wife had to go gluten free.

Every now and then Iíll still whip one up for some friends, but itís pretty rare.

I used to get the dough right from my favorite pizza place down the street. Their dough is incredible. Canít use it anymore though. Took me about two years to finally find a gluten free crust we actually both enjoy.

Heners_UK
Jun 1, 2002

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

, then my wife had to go gluten free.

Not for gluten reasons, but my fiancee often asks for a cauliflower base for her pizza. I make it alongside my flour ones. Dough scales nicely so it's possible to have it both ways

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

"The A+ TCC poster
you did nazi coming."

Heners_UK posted:

Not for gluten reasons, but my fiancee often asks for a cauliflower base for her pizza. I make it alongside my flour ones. Dough scales nicely so it's possible to have it both ways

Yeah occasionally Iíll do two separate doughs, but Iíve been getting lazy too because he dough is so easy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

All these goons makin pizza is not helping my urge to get a pizza oven.

When I do, Iím definitely going to buy or make my own habanero honey to drizzle on top. The spice and sweetness takes a normal pizza over the top based on my experiences at restaurants.

Do you have a grill?

If so, you already have a pizza oven.

Heners_UK
Jun 1, 2002

I have enough Google Play credit saved up for a CAD$20 pizza book.

Is the recommendation still for The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish? I know The Pizza Bible by Tom Gemignani was also mentioned and there's My Pizza by Jim Lehey.

Already have Baking with Steel.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 25, 2016

Iíve been really digging Mastering Pizza by Marc Vetri. Itís very Italian (so you get formulations for Naples-style and al taglio pizzas but not NY style.) Heís very clear about the dough formulations you want for different styles and different ovens. Iíve used Forkish and Lahey, but Iíve had the most success following Vetri.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 25, 2016

Made pizza! This is Vetri's Roman-style dough (67% hydration) as pizza Lombarda (fennel sausage, egg):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009

Hair Elf

loving want. I have a serious problem of wanting to make and eat more pizza when when I already have lots of pizza in the freezer. It's a struggle.

«56 »