Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Read some article about how it's scientifically impossible to get good pizza from a home oven, using steel or a stone, and that steel at 700 degrees doesn't work near as good as a brick oven....People need to chill the hell out about pizza, and I say this as a huge fan of pizza.

You can get great pizza from a home oven, just cut off the safety lock and cook on the cleaning cycle. (Just kidding don't do this) use whatever you have and enjoy the results, it's all pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LifeSunDeath posted:

Read some article about how it's scientifically impossible to get good pizza from a home oven, using steel or a stone, and that steel at 700 degrees doesn't work near as good as a brick oven....People need to chill the hell out about pizza, and I say this as a huge fan of pizza.

I think the article is wrong based on how my pizza comes out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With my old oven and pizza steel, I could set the oven at 550 convection roast, steel on the top rack, first pie would take 3-4 minutes, subsequent pies were 4-5 minutes.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Happiness Commando posted:

They're talking about initial setup of the steel, not ongoing maintenance. If it has mill scale on it, you need to descale it with vinegar, then clean and season it so it doesn't rust. If it has sharp edges from the shop, you might want to file them down.

Yup.

LifeSunDeath posted:

This, too. I'm not being snobbish about steel, I'm just lazy and the Lodge option gives me an easy out. There's enough smugness and gatekeeping in the world without me tellin mofos how to enjoy their pizza. If your preferred cooking method yields results that satisfy your twisted pizza urges, more power to you, you deviants of dough and sauce.

I'd never made my own dough before the pandemic and now that I'm maybe a dozen pizzas deep I can't see myself ever ordering delivery again, the difference in quality and price is THAT big. While I've learned a few techniques, I don't even feel like I put that much effort into it at all, and still manage to produce incredibly tasty results. If someone comes along after all this and tells me my old rear end pizza stone at 550 degrees is a garbage cooking method for garbage people, I would be completely in the right to call them an rear end in a top hat. Are there lots of different methods out there that are probably better than mine, or at least noticeably different? Of course there are. Who cares?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

large hands posted:

You can get great pizza from a home oven, just cut off the safety lock and cook on the cleaning cycle. (Just kidding don't do this) use whatever you have and enjoy the results, it's all pizza

If you do this, and make it regularly, you'll have the cleanest oven ever. Also it's totally worth it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

nwin posted:

I think the article is wrong based on how my pizza comes out.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/23/630544154/pizza-physics-why-brick-ovens-bake-the-perfect-italian-style-pie

I agree, my pizza is just fine, it's nice cooking in a brick oven cause it cooks almost instantly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
then again this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4&t=48s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

It's just so loving wet. Even pizzidiots can't eat soggy za.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Every pizza is beautiful and delicious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Long ago I dabbled with making chicago style pizza, but didn't feel confident to make a whole pie so I did it in large muffin tins. It worked pretty well. drat I love chicago style.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/23/630544154/pizza-physics-why-brick-ovens-bake-the-perfect-italian-style-pie

I agree, my pizza is just fine, it's nice cooking in a brick oven cause it cooks almost instantly.

Oh, they’re talking mainly about neopolitan style. Yeah I don’t make those. You said pizza in general.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LifeSunDeath posted:

By any chance, was the article fixated on Neapolitan pizza?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

What always gets me about this is that the olives at the end are plopped on with such pure contempt. Just, gently caress you, gently caress you, and gently caress you. Done.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Ahh so the article was talking about Neapolitan pizza after all. Yeah, that's the peak of hipster pizza there. What doesn't help is that Neapolitan pizza holds a Traditional Specialty Guaranteed designation as well as some UNESCO cultural thing. So there are some very specific rules about it and rule people can really get caught up on that.

There's a kind of life cycle for most big-rear end wood-fired oven people that goes something like:

1. Makes Neapolitan pizzas. Guests talk about how awesome it is.
2. Keeps making Neapolitan pizzas.
3. Honeymoon period ends. Family and good friends start to complain. They want this or that different.
4. Process changes. They cook them longer at a lower temperature; make them bigger; not as thin in the middle.
5. Everybody's happy.
6. Big-rear end wood-fired oven rear end in a top hat realizes he's now making New York pizzas.

There's a local guy here that has also been really active on Forno Bravo that went through a process like this, and then it happened to me! I still have absolutely no regrets about it because it's great to be able to poo poo out a bunch of pizzas outside with the way the weather is here (usually). It's also good for baking, casseroles, and poo poo. You can even load up the bricks up front with some coals for 10 minutes, clean it away, and sear a crazy steak. So I will still serve as the little devil on the shoulder of anybody that accidentally walks into here pondering one.

Most people don't want Neapolitan pizzas every day, or ever. They're small, with a really contrasting crust thickness from center to edge. The real killer though is how wet they are! The pizzas get done in 60 seconds, which does cook everything, but doesn't evaporate the excess moisture. So the crust comes across as being underdone and there can be little puddles on top.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh so the article was talking about Neapolitan pizza after all. Yeah, that's the peak of hipster pizza there. What doesn't help is that Neapolitan pizza holds a Traditional Specialty Guaranteed designation as well as some UNESCO cultural thing. So there are some very specific rules about it and rule people can really get caught up on that.

There's a kind of life cycle for most big-rear end wood-fired oven people that goes something like:

1. Makes Neapolitan pizzas. Guests talk about how awesome it is.
2. Keeps making Neapolitan pizzas.
3. Honeymoon period ends. Family and good friends start to complain. They want this or that different.
4. Process changes. They cook them longer at a lower temperature; make them bigger; not as thin in the middle.
5. Everybody's happy.
6. Big-rear end wood-fired oven rear end in a top hat realizes he's now making New York pizzas.

There's a local guy here that has also been really active on Forno Bravo that went through a process like this, and then it happened to me! I still have absolutely no regrets about it because it's great to be able to poo poo out a bunch of pizzas outside with the way the weather is here (usually). It's also good for baking, casseroles, and poo poo. You can even load up the bricks up front with some coals for 10 minutes, clean it away, and sear a crazy steak. So I will still serve as the little devil on the shoulder of anybody that accidentally walks into here pondering one.

Most people don't want Neapolitan pizzas every day, or ever. They're small, with a really contrasting crust thickness from center to edge. The real killer though is how wet they are! The pizzas get done in 60 seconds, which does cook everything, but doesn't evaporate the excess moisture. So the crust comes across as being underdone and there can be little puddles on top.

LOL Unesco pizza. Love it. My friend and I built a clay oven in college, made a sand dome, covered in clay, then hollowed it out, tiles at the bottom. Would throw parties and I'd churn out all kinds of pizza. It is really great, but I wasn't following any special protocol for the crust, just having a great time making quick custom pizzas for hungry party people.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

South German pizza (flammkuchen) is good as hell. Cracker thin crust topped with creme fraiche, onions, and bacon. Cooks in 90 seconds in big ovens. Like any pizza, it goes well with booze.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

South German pizza (flammkuchen) is good as hell. Cracker thin crust topped with creme fraiche, onions, and bacon. Cooks in 90 seconds in big ovens. Like any pizza, it goes well with booze.

that sounds good as hell

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
fresh spinach, garlic, dry mozz, feta, tomato sauce

E: good cups tonight

large hands fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 27, 2020

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
What crust recipe are you using large hands? I have a Ischia sourdough starter that I tried recently. Doesn’t get much leaven so I’m thinking of adding some yeast like the King Arthur recipe.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Posted this a couple days ago when someone asked in the dinner thread:

large hands posted:

if you're going to make pizza at high heat, read Jeff Varasanos crazy pizza geocities style website. Ive read it a bunch but now i'm tired of hunting through the wall of text so here are the relevant parts:

Autolyse

Pour all the ingredients into the mixer, except just use 75% of the flour for now. So all of the water, salt, poolish (Video of Poolish), Instant dry Yeast (if used) and 75% of the flour are put into the mixer. Everything should be room temperature or a bit cooler.

Mix on lowest speed for 1-2 minutes or until completely blended. At this stage you should have a mix that is drier than a batter, but wetter than a dough. Closer to batter probably.

Cover and Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Wet Kneading

Start Mixing on Low speed for 8 minutes. 5 minutes into it start adding flour gradually.

After the first 6-8 minutes increase the speed of the mixer slightly.

Let it rest for 15-20 minutes. If you were to do a window pane test before the rest, you might be disappointed. Afterwards it will test well:

Pour out onto a floured surface and portion into balls with a scraper.

put the balls into very lightly oiled containers and rest in the fridge for 1-5 days

e: i use 200g balls for my 12" pies, which is a bit on the thinner side than the NY style that Jeff's weights would give you

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Man, that Varasano website is an interesting read. I'm going to try some of his techniques next time I make pizza. I'm not going to commit to juking my oven to get to 900 degrees, though, so that dough ratio will have to change to work with my regular ol' broiler + steel technique.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
3.5% salt? What are you all using for sauce? We sampled 3% once and it was a disaster. Everybody seems to be into it though so I wonder if my other ingredients are too salty. In particular, my cheese is 2:1:1 mozzarella:provolone:parmesan.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

3.5% salt? What are you all using for sauce? We sampled 3% once and it was a disaster. Everybody seems to be into it though so I wonder if my other ingredients are too salty. In particular, my cheese is 2:1:1 mozzarella:provolone:parmesan.

I don't find it to be too salty, but that's purely a personal preference so no reason you can't cut that in half. I usually just put a stick blender into a can of tomatoes with a sprinkle of basil and oregano and use that. My wife has been finding that a bit acidic/bright so last night we used kenji's cooked NY sauce and it was great (basically it's a copy of Marcella Hazan's famous marinara)

I use either cows milk bocconconi or Kirkland shredded mozz with a sprinkle of either grated parm or sea salt.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Thanks large hands, that website seems super informative. Maybe we should add that to the OP?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey, i'm gearing up to try making some new york style pizza on the weekend, but I dont have a baking steel/pizza stone. What I do have is an old pizza crisper tray. Is it worth using or would I be better just using the back of a baking sheet? Also, it should be fine to freeze a portion of dough for another time, right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you have a cast iron pan? thats your next best option

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Do you have imported tap water from NYC? This is the only way to technically make NY pizza. :smug:

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

do you have a cast iron pan? thats your next best option

I do have a cast iron pan, but its only 9 inches. A bit too small to use I think.
e: Actually, what I do have is a tava, which is sort of a rounded pizza stone I guess? its about 11 inches , pic below

LifeSunDeath posted:

Do you have imported tap water from NYC? This is the only way to technically make NY pizza. :smug:

but what if i have actual NYC tap water?? Clearly I need to buy some special imported stuff. :v:

Argona fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 28, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Argona posted:

I do have a cast iron pan, but its only 9 inches. A bit too small to use I think.

but what if i have actual NYC tap water?? Clearly I need to buy some special imported stuff. :v:

Uptown or midtown? It makes a huge difference.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My first (real) pizza ever.

Not very pretty but it tasted great. I used the stove/broiler method; probably should have spent a few more minutes on the stove and fewer under the broiler.

I tried making a flour + greek yogurt dough a few weeks ago before I could get my hands on some yeast, and it turned out okay but this was 100 times better.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Argona posted:

e: Actually, what I do have is a tava, which is sort of a rounded pizza stone I guess? its about 11 inches , pic below

i make pizza on a tava

behold my beautiful boy:

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I did the upside down side of a baking sheet method

Babby pizza

The crust could have been better but otherwise, really nice!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
My cheap (relatively, I still think $40 for a rounded piece of metal is a bit much) Amazon baking steel arrived, so I made a pizza. It turned out kind of meh.

There’s mozzarella, baby ‘bella mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, and feta cheese. The toppings were great, but I wanted them browned, and ended up with an overcooked, stiff crust. I really need some heat from the top. Maybe I’ll get an unglazed brick from Lowe’s like I used to use for a pizza stone, and put it on the rack above the steel. I’m not sure if that will make enough difference.

I also didn’t toss the dough quite thin enough.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you want your mushrooms to be nice and brown i would recommend cooking them like on the stove most of the way before topping them on the pizza, they hold a lot of water on their own and it never seems to cook out in the oven alone.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

My cheap (relatively, I still think $40 for a rounded piece of metal is a bit much) Amazon baking steel arrived, so I made a pizza. It turned out kind of meh.

There’s mozzarella, baby ‘bella mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, and feta cheese. The toppings were great, but I wanted them browned, and ended up with an overcooked, stiff crust. I really need some heat from the top. Maybe I’ll get an unglazed brick from Lowe’s like I used to use for a pizza stone, and put it on the rack above the steel. I’m not sure if that will make enough difference.

I also didn’t toss the dough quite thin enough.

Gotta find the right place to put the rack in your oven for broiler use (if you have a broiler). The key is the steel cooking fast from below while the broiler takes care of the browning on top.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody played around with wood-fired bagels? I just found out about Montreal bagels and I'm interested, but I probably won't get into the sweetness.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

if you want your mushrooms to be nice and brown i would recommend cooking them like on the stove most of the way before topping them on the pizza, they hold a lot of water on their own and it never seems to cook out in the oven alone.

i always fry them first and it works great. one of my favourite pizzas is just white pizza with fried mushrooms, garlic and tarragon

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody use a bread maker for pizza dough? I'm both a bread and pizza novice, as well as very lazy, so I gave it a shot. I used my standard recipe, but the dough came out way too liquid-y, more like a batter. I'm still letting it rise in the pan for tonight's pizza, and it might turn out okay, but I think I'll knead by hand from now on.

Edit: Welp that was one of the worst pizzas I've ever had.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
New cast iron works quite well for pizza, every bit as good as my stone!