Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Been making a bunch of pandemic pizza and bread. This one was kalamata olives, feta, and pepperoni:

After years of baking bread and pizza from various recipes, I just now found out about baking ratios, which make things super simple to remember. I miss having access to a brick oven :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Use a cast iron pan

Yes, I'm pretty close to getting a dutch oven or cast iron pan. I'm just freaked out about how to transfer the pizza into it with it being blazing hot...guess I'll need a peal at that point.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Fancied making deep dish cast iron...

Do you form your crust in the hot pan? Looks delicious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I'm seeing recipes online where they spread out the dough in a cold pan with oil, do toppings then cook it on the stove top, then transfer to the broiler to finish it off. It looks drat good this way and you get max coverage of the pie in the pan.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Reynold posted:

I'm a sucker for Lodge cast iron, and I was looking at a griddle earlier anyhow, so that solves those problems.

Thanks, pizza friends.

That's a really good idea, all these pizza steels are expensive as heck.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

You can buy a sheet of steel from a metal supplier for much cheaper than a branded pizza steel if you're willing to do a little work yourself. The edges will be sharp so you'll want to sand or file them down. I was about 2 minutes away from ordering a steel circle from these guys before I got the tawa from Amazon because I decided the handle was worth a little more money.

https://www.2twentytwosteel.com/

wow this is way cheaper

even cheaper

1x1ft
https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-plate

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 24, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Read some article about how it's scientifically impossible to get good pizza from a home oven, using steel or a stone, and that steel at 700 degrees doesn't work near as good as a brick oven....People need to chill the hell out about pizza, and I say this as a huge fan of pizza.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

nwin posted:

I think the article is wrong based on how my pizza comes out.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/07/23/630544154/pizza-physics-why-brick-ovens-bake-the-perfect-italian-style-pie

I agree, my pizza is just fine, it's nice cooking in a brick oven cause it cooks almost instantly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

It's just so loving wet. Even pizzidiots can't eat soggy za.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Long ago I dabbled with making chicago style pizza, but didn't feel confident to make a whole pie so I did it in large muffin tins. It worked pretty well. drat I love chicago style.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh so the article was talking about Neapolitan pizza after all. Yeah, that's the peak of hipster pizza there. What doesn't help is that Neapolitan pizza holds a Traditional Specialty Guaranteed designation as well as some UNESCO cultural thing. So there are some very specific rules about it and rule people can really get caught up on that.

There's a kind of life cycle for most big-rear end wood-fired oven people that goes something like:

1. Makes Neapolitan pizzas. Guests talk about how awesome it is.
2. Keeps making Neapolitan pizzas.
3. Honeymoon period ends. Family and good friends start to complain. They want this or that different.
4. Process changes. They cook them longer at a lower temperature; make them bigger; not as thin in the middle.
5. Everybody's happy.
6. Big-rear end wood-fired oven rear end in a top hat realizes he's now making New York pizzas.

There's a local guy here that has also been really active on Forno Bravo that went through a process like this, and then it happened to me! I still have absolutely no regrets about it because it's great to be able to poo poo out a bunch of pizzas outside with the way the weather is here (usually). It's also good for baking, casseroles, and poo poo. You can even load up the bricks up front with some coals for 10 minutes, clean it away, and sear a crazy steak. So I will still serve as the little devil on the shoulder of anybody that accidentally walks into here pondering one.

Most people don't want Neapolitan pizzas every day, or ever. They're small, with a really contrasting crust thickness from center to edge. The real killer though is how wet they are! The pizzas get done in 60 seconds, which does cook everything, but doesn't evaporate the excess moisture. So the crust comes across as being underdone and there can be little puddles on top.

LOL Unesco pizza. Love it. My friend and I built a clay oven in college, made a sand dome, covered in clay, then hollowed it out, tiles at the bottom. Would throw parties and I'd churn out all kinds of pizza. It is really great, but I wasn't following any special protocol for the crust, just having a great time making quick custom pizzas for hungry party people.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

South German pizza (flammkuchen) is good as hell. Cracker thin crust topped with creme fraiche, onions, and bacon. Cooks in 90 seconds in big ovens. Like any pizza, it goes well with booze.

that sounds good as hell

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Do you have imported tap water from NYC? This is the only way to technically make NY pizza. :smug:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Argona posted:

I do have a cast iron pan, but its only 9 inches. A bit too small to use I think.

but what if i have actual NYC tap water?? Clearly I need to buy some special imported stuff. :v:

Uptown or midtown? It makes a huge difference.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Reynold posted:

New cast iron works quite well for pizza, every bit as good as my stone!

looks dank

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ogopogo posted:

R&D night for the next couple weeks of curbside pickups.

Collaboration pie with a friend of mine who's a chef from Kerala in southern India - Butter Chicken Pie w/ micro cilantro and crema

We're gonna change how the crema goes on, this was a pretty sloppy (and uh...) topping of the crema addition.

And the "Fennel Countdown" pie, in both white and red versions, with calabrian chili sausage, micro arugula, red onion, and fennel

OMG. :getin:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Sorry for the bad photos but I didn’t think this pizza would be worth sharing. I made a Wolfgang Puck style dough on Tuesday which is what I do when I decide at 5 PM that I want to make pizza for dinner. I use about twice the yeast and let the dough rise in the warm oven. The pizza was just okay. On Wednesday I did the second dough ball which had been resting in the fridge and it was tremendously better.

280g flour
170g water
6g kosher salt
5g honey
10g evoo
6g active dry yeast

cooked at ~800F in my Pizzacraft PizzaQue for a hair under 6 minutes

Looks incredible

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

This was dried basil and oregano (on top of what's in the sauce) and two different local pepper blends. The smokey one is so good.

Ooooo that 4 pepper blend, gonna get that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I only cook on depleted uranium

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That pizza looks incredible

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Parkay butter base

Good lord lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

the last pizza I made I did 60 percent and it was way too wet and I had to kneed in a bunch more flour, but I had read a recipe calling for even more hydration, dunno.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

nwin posted:

pizza quarry

I wish I could just mine pizza.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

You would be a real Harvester of Sbarro.

I appreciate this joke a lot.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Thank you!

The Midsummer Night's Dream Pie - panna/roasted garlic/roasted garlic oil/parm/shredded mozz/cherry tomatoes/oregano/basil

Pepperoni with pickled red onions and wood fired jalapeños

Pepperoni

Those are some gorgeous pies you got!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Detroit pizza, someone finally did it!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

I ordered a Roccbox about 3 weeks ago. Seems like everyone's backed up with lockdown and social distancing spiking interest in backyard pizza cooking.

holy moley, that thing goes up to 950, wow.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

My friend made a joke about dumping a can of chili on a pizza I made so I wanted to show him up

Surprisingly delicious to be honest, just needed a squeeze of lime juice.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, pretty much the whole challenge with pizza in the oven is finding the balance between cooking from the bottom and having the top finish at the same time. I'd definitely turn on the broiler after the oven is up to temp, and leave that on high with the pizza in the lower third of the oven as a good place to start.

Just flip your pizza

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pizza depleted uranium is my go to.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Tomato cheese and basil looking thicccc

Looks exactly perfect

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Another weekend of pizza making done, sent out 80 pies over two days! Here are a few that we sold, and a few we kept for ourselves..

The cast iron R&D continues. Still working out a proper proof in the pan, but it's getting there.

We put up our Elote pizza again and it went like gangbusters!

Couldn't help but offer Flamin' Hot Cheetos as a topping...

And finally, a simple tomato, garlic, and burrata pie. Simplicity at its best!

:chanpop:
they look incredible!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Incredible!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

I’m so happy I got back into making pizza.

No knead dough cold fermented for 3 days, garlic, jalapeño, and pepperoni. The bottom was a little paler than I’d like, but that was probably because I was in a bit of a hurry and didn’t preheat my cast iron as much as I should’ve.

that looks/sounds amazing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

anyone ever experimented with folding/laminating crusts? Usually something you see in midwestern hole in the wall pizzerias.

not mine lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjUWnAK0cg

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Detroit style pizza with the pan directly on the steel, half pepperoni, half sausage, olive, giardiniera, probably a 14 minute bake.

Also paired with Michael Mann's Thief.

:wow:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dacap posted:

Detroit style for tonight

that looks unreal good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Went extremely hipster for this one. Vegetarian mock duck, hoisin sauce, mozz. Cucumber + spring onion added after cooking.

I hosed up the launch and it came out oval. Still ate that pie like it was my last meal on earth.

thought it was pulled pork poutine pizza, either way looks delicious.