Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I've been using dough balls from my favorite pizza place for years now, but I got my very first stand mixer for Christmas this year so I'm gonna try and make my own. Any flour recommendations? Seems like the King Arthur perfect pizza flour mix would be the place to go, but should I just follow what Sir Alton Brown says and get their bread machine flour instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

GWBBQ posted:

Anyone else made beer dough? Simple recipe:

3 cups flour
2tsp salt
1 cup beer

mix, knead, let sit for 10 minutes then let rise for 3 days at 45°F

I've made it with a couple of homebrews and with a few microbrews, both at home and at a restaurant where we know the owner well enough to have the privilege of using the coal oven from time to time. A good place to start is making a spicy pizza with a hoppy beer in the dough, I love pepperoni and jalapeņo on crust made with Stone Levitation. I've also done imperial stout crust with sweet and spicy sausage, and Ithaca Flower Power with sweet sausage and sweet peppers.

I'll have to try your recipe next time. I used King Arthur Flour's quick-rise beer crust recipe (subbing Bob's Red Mill for KAF because the store by me didn't have any), and it tasted pretty drat good with Sierra Nevada even if it did make a puffy, oyster cracker-style thick crust that was a little on the chewy side. It was pretty hard to toss without tearing, as well, but maybe I didn't knead it for long enough? Also the recipe called for AP flour instead of bread flour.

Does anyone know where I can find instant yeast? It's in tons of different pizza recipes, and I have been to pretty much every style of grocery store in Portland and all I can find is Active Dry.