Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

wormil posted:

I do that but add crushed garlic to the olive oil about 30 minutes before then brush the whole pizza top. I want to try it with a habenero but my family doesn't like spicy food.

If you don't want to wait for the garlic to infuse, put it in the oil and pop it in the microwave for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i pizza'd last week. pesto, except i was out of pine nuts and parmesan at the time, so used cashews and marmite. honestly worked super well. found a mixed bowl of corn and peas in the fridge, as well as some leftover chicken, so i tossed it on top. most of the pizzas i make are an excuse to use up leftovers.

cooked in about five and a half minutes in my oven. probably could have done it in less but i put rather too much cheese on it since i shredded too much and didn't want to bother putting what was left back in the fridge. i used a bit of a preferment in this dough but it was about 90 minutes total from making the dough to pulling it out of the oven.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rooted Vegetable posted:

This surely needs more explanation. You used marmite pesto as a pizza topping? You also used it in a sentence like it's a common occurrence

in small amounts i think it offers a lot of the same flavour notes as a strong parmesan. i didn't have any pine nuts, so i used cashews. i didn't have any parmesan, so i put in a dollop of marmite to get that salty, umami flavour profile.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Hey Pizza thread. I'm new to GWS so apologies in advance for low quality pics and any faux pas.

I've spent a good while trying to make decent pizzas and failing miserably until now. The single biggest improvement to my game has been heat since I've always been using domestic gas or electric ovens that are about 200C too cold for that which I crave; Neapolitan style margheritas.

I took delivery of an electric oven + refractory stone capable of 500C on the weekend, and the first pie out of it has blown my mind. I reckon I'll have trouble reproducing this any time soon but it won't stop me from trying:

Maybe a little watery- I was about 20C above the temperature I was aiming for, and the canned tomatoes I was using are a bit crap. Those should be easy enough to fix. The crust I think was the real winner:

The oven is an effeuno p134ha 500C edition with a saputo biscotto stone. I've been looking for something like this for about a decade now and had nearly given up when a bunch of Italians from another forum started appearing in my youtube searches turning out insane pizzas with this model and its shorter brother the p134a. There's a community that mod them with PID controllers and extra insulation but this is more for the 450C model where for Neapolitan style you're right on the edge of what the oven is capable of. I went for this over wood-fired or gas powered as I live in a climate where I'd rather be making pizza indoors all year round than waiting for a few dry days outside.

The dough I'm using is locally branded 00 flour following a 65% hydration recipe with 25% by flour mass overnight poolish similar to Jeff Varasano's recipe. 1h bulk ferment and 24h balled at room temp. This dough was hand kneaded as I don't have a mixer. I've got a bag of caputo pizzeria on order.

well this is pretty baller. i've been eyeing the breville oven, which gets up to 400C, but i don't think it's a big enough difference over what i've got now; my home oven gets up to about 300C (though i use metal instead of a stone which changes things a bit). definitely going to keep these in mind for the eventual kitchen reno.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

One thing you might want to consider is that this is a ~3kW 240v oven. I'm not sure where you are but you may need to wire it into a dryer connection or similar if you're in a 110v country.

yeah, i looked up their website, though i appreciate the heads up regardless. we have a few unused breakers in the panel so running another circuit wouldn't be too much trouble (especially if we had to move the stove plug anyway).

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh i just use parchment. trim it to the size of your dough once its on and you don't even really need to worry about it burning. if its an issue though you can snag it out once the bottom firms up.

with that said i do use cornmeal occasionally. sometimes i just rub flour into the peel.

i don't bother with special flours, though, i stick to AP if i'm not milling it myself.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

I've been trying for so long to get good pizzas out of bad ovens that I'm really looking forward to changing up the rest of my process to see what was just down to the oven. I've plenty of AP kicking about, might try a batch with that next.

i think it mostly comes down to technique (including ferm here) and dumping heat into the crust. most of the rest is audiophile cookery.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I also just use trimmed parchment paper on a baking steel and never have any issues.

Though, my oven tops out at 550F so there might be a concern of the parchment paper bursting into flames at higher temps?

yes and no; it’s theoretically possible but it’s extremely unlikely to happen while covered with a pizza unless your pizza is now also above ignition temp and if so you have other issues

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

At the risk of loving up a winning streak, I'm making a batch with 25% less salt this time.
As I understand it the purpose of the salt is to slow the ferment and promote stronger gluten formation, but since I'm averaging temps of 16C during the bulk ferment and proofing stages I don't need to slow it much. I'm also wary of regularly eating pies with nearly 3g salt in them.

i tend to keep to around 3% salt in all my doughs.

with that said i've been doing a dual-stage hydration with an overnight autolyse followed by incorporating yeast and salt water the next morning, and really enjoying the results.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My impression is I should try it at 500F in the middle rack position for 15 minutes instead.

yeah seconding pan type but also depending on how much work you want to do you may wish to only do one or the other before doing both

additionally do you have a thermometer in the oven to see if that’s accurate? my thermometer actually errors out when i blast my oven and it goes up to 575 so who knows how hot it actually gets

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aruan posted:

the other thing ive experienced with deep dish pizzas is letting it sit for 5 minutes after pulling it out, it lets the interior finish cooking from carryover heat.

good move. tbh i don’t like to eat almost any pizza - maybe some small neapolitans - directly from the oven anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ogopogo posted:

We put up a two pizza and wings combo for the Big Game, one we pulled from a past pizza for Tampa Bay and the other our chef worked on over the last week or two to put together. The wings were done by a friend of ours who runs a Jamaican patty shop, so he did a little Jamaican jerk and smoke job on a big ol' pile of meaty wings for us.

The El Jefe - Cubano style pizza with marinated slow roasted pork, sliced ham, shredded Swiss cheese, Chef's mojo mustard, home made pickles, cilantro, and chicharrones. This thing slaps hard.

The Home Sweet Mahomes - KC BBQ style pork, shredded Swiss/mozz, Chef's KC BBQ sauce, home made coleslaw, fried tobacco onions, and microgreens. Just loving good.

And the wings were incredible as well.

It was a fun day slinging pizzas, the weather was perfect to be outside. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

get inside me

they look great!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fridge leftovers khachapuri (georgian cheese bread). leftover pesto, bottom of a jar of ajvar, some discount cheese curds i had in the freezer, an egg, some za’atar.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there’s way too much worship of the perfect with online food culture these days and tbh i find it frustrating. cooking a pizza at 550 isn’t sad (i’m aware this was likely said in jest) especially if you have stone, steel, or aluminum to help out. you really don’t need 00 flour, either; as long as you have good, strong flour and reasonable technique, you’ll make good pizza.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Seconded- although I'd say the heat does make the difference between a great home-style pizza and a great restaurant-style one. I was using AP on and off in between batches of 00 when I could get it and had a colder oven, and didn't notice much of a difference. The heat really changed things for me but that has more to do with what you're trying to achieve. Canotto style crusts might be possible at lower temps with some messing around like adding the ingredients after an initial bake, but it never really worked for me.

imo the only real difference it makes is when you’re going for neapolitans. otherwise the difference between a pizza at 90 seconds and a pizza at 3-5 minutes is negligible.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Beautiful pizza, definitely love the Indian food style!

We made a deliciously cheesy sausage, pepperoni and caramelized onion pizza the other day that just hit all the right nostalgia notes of my childhood pizzeria.

killer. this might be my perfect pizza.

i love caramelized onions on a pizza. sometimes i'll caramelize them with a small amount of baking soda - the internet enjoys doing this as a matter of course; i never do it for normal caramelized onions because it negatively impacts the texture. it basically turns them really soft and mushy. for pizza though it's tight because you can basically spread it on dough in place of a sauce. onion + cheese + thyme and other herbs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Yeah, keeping it simple and just doing a proper low 'n slow cook of the onions in butter and salt has always worked best. No need to mess with what works!

Here's another one we make - Tomato sauce, garlic oil, parm, chili flake, sausage, pepp and ricotta dollops

aw yea i love some dollops of cotta for the dairy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

you can still do a good pizza with 5 days of cold ferment

but that does look excellent

its true but the longer you go the less structure you get and sometimes you just end up with something thats mostly goo

ofc the line between focaccia and pizza crust is thin and meandering

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is why I went focaccia, yeah. I'm still having trouble with pies not wanting to leave the peel with some batches, and the older the dough is the more trouble I have. I suspect it's because I'm hand-kneading still while waiting on a mixer and having trouble with consistency between batches due to laziness/technique. With focaccia I'm just dumping the pile of goo into an oiled tray which is a lot more forgiving than trying to get it pizza shaped and off a peel.

i’m not sure about that; if it sits in the fridge for more than a day your gluten will be sufficiently developed. fwiw you can always just put parchment on your peel. it works great and there’s little real cooking difference

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

It's on my list of things to try after you mentioned it previously: I'm waiting to do two pies in rapid succession with/without. What I found was that my last batch were incredibly sticky, almost 'sweaty' dough, in that once flattened it had a sheen to it that really liked sticking to the peel, particularly for the later ones that spent more time in the fridge.

This recent batch worked well, but I was way too lean on the salt at 2% and the crust tastes meh because of it. Looks like if you want good pizzas you need to just deal with it being high sodium.

yeah i tend to stick to 3%

you can resurrect some super sticko doughs by working in a little fresh flour and letting it rise a little bit again

since you do have a fancy high temp oven if you end up using parchment i would be sure to trim it to the edge of the dough to avoid it catching

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FFT posted:

Apparently it's "Employee Appreciation Day" today, so we had a pizza party/contest with prizes for "best" and "worst"

so i created a monster:

didn't there used to be a thread for lovely food?

is that a bagel bite pizza

did you make the bagel bites too or

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

is there a way to get Pendleton Flour Mills/Grain Craft Power Flour in Texas that isn’t either out of stock or prohibitively loving expensive?

what about it makes you want it? there’s probably a locally stocked alternative

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I kinda wanted to try something new

that's totally cool but if that's the case tbh i'd look for something like maybe a local mill that mills it for freshness. they'll know what percentage of protein their offerings are, you'll support a local establishment and won't waste money getting flour shipped

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Malefitz posted:

I...I did it.
I'm so happy right now I can't wait for this thing to arrive!

swanko! little jelly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hell yes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Cheers dude! We've been working hard to dial in our consistency and bake, really loving the results so far.
We ran two specials this last weekend, one from the vaults and a new one from our chef.

The Last Action Gyro
Garlic oil, mozz, feta, red onion, and gyro meat, topped with fresh tzatziki, red onion, dill, and parsley

The Pea Shooter
Garlic oil and mozz, topped with cold fresh burrata, peas, pea pesto, pea shoots, mint, and lemon zest

would, both

do you guys toss?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Depends on if you buy me a cocktail or not!

Ahh but for real, we generally don't toss our doughs open, it's more a traditional Neapolitan style bench open, with some final hand stretching in the air before laying down the opened skin for topping. With the sourdough especially we are already at the maximum thinness and strength for the dough, so tossing just leads to rips and tears.

:biglips:

that's cool, i've gotten reasonably good at shaping for someone that only makes home levels of pizza, lol, but haven't really tried tossing before, so i wondered.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

I cold ferment 100% of my dough. I mix up a batch of dough in my stand mixer, weight it out into portions, and toss them in the fridge immediately without letting it rise. I put a healthy amount of olive oil in the containers to keep it from drying out as it rises. It tastes best after about 2 or 3 days but I use it for up to a week or so. Towards the end the structure breaks down and it becomes more difficult to stretch, but it still works and tastes pretty good.

Just get a carbon steel pan instead of looking for a lipped steel imo. the flat steel is good to put on a grill or even a firepit where grease dripping isn't as big a deal

pretty much this and generally use less yeast

i don’t get how oil in a sealed container does anything about keeping a dough from “drying out”, though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

Because sometimes they rise enough that the pressure inside pops the lid off

put them in a larger container then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had a bad surprise trying to integrate some olive oil into cold fermented dough. In the past when I've had to do add fat after kneading, I've just done a little more kneading in the mixer with the fat. Heck, I have seen some enriched bread recipes where they prefer it added after-the-fact. They believe the fat impedes activating the gluten and want the dough kneaded separately first.

This dough was cold so it didn't take in the oil. When it came time for me to break off dough (since I was working off a lump like I usually do as posted before), I couldn't tuck in the bits I tore off. Normally I pull the dough into itself to make a ball where all those little imperfections get tucked inside of it. The oil kept the dough from sticking to itself so this never happened.

The dough tasted good and all, but I couldn't, say, grab more dough to make a larger ball because I couldn't get the pieces to stick to each other. I couldn't really hand pull because the dough ball was so uneven that it would split open at points before the rest of it was fully stretched. It would stick to the peel when getting put into the oven and also while turning it; the imperfections on the underside of the pizza would physically catch on the peel while turning.

I had been using oil based on Kenji's recipe--which doesn't cold ferment--because I have liked how it handled in the past when I mixed it in. However, I read some stuff advising against adding the oil for the cold ferment. I'm inclined to just go back to a lean dough but wondered if anybody here uses some fat and also cold ferments the dough too.

Also, my wife didn't get much of the flavor of the dough. Since I'm making my own sauce now, I can reduce the salt there. This gives me an opportunity to finally increase it in the dough. Awhile back, I tried 3% and it was no good with everything else we were doing. Does it really help with the bread's flavor?

interesting, i've never added oil into a long ferment dough like that but i imagine (as you've probably figured out) that it would be best to do it with a room temp or warm dough and fold it in over the course of an hour.

in what way did you find the saltier pizza no good? 3% is sort of my go-to for most bread stuff but it is on the higher end of some preferences.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

90 minutes is a long preheat. personally i try and give it no more than 60, which is probably too much but i often just sit a probe inside and weight for the temperature to equilibrate.

my go to is to have the steel on the very top of the oven. then a little before pizza goes in i’ll switch on the broiler. things cook...very fast...at that point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

90 minutes pre-heat & 15 minutes broiler on is about what it takes to get my stone to a point where it makes a really good pizza, so I don't think it's long at all?

Like, it's noticably better than a 60 minute preheat.

no, it's an objectively long preheat. i'm not trying to tell you not to do it, maybe it's what your oven needs because it doesn't dump as much heat as quickly into the cabinet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

six leaves of basil doesn’t sound like a ton to me but basil is extremely variable in leaf sizing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

We got a new grill and I want to try putting my old stone in it for pizza. Any precautions to avoid breaking the stone?

Grill is just a little Weber Q 2200. The grates are solid directly over the burners, so the stone shouldn't be getting direct flame, but it does heat up way faster than the oven.

i don't think so, i've never had a problem with my stone on the grill, where it was relegated once the steel was introduced

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

all i said was that it was a long preheat

there’s no need to get upset about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

I did preheat the steel for an hour and did a broiler supercharge - used convection for both as I do with the stone. Maybe minimally better bottom browning but otherwise not so different.

May just go back to the stones cause they’re bigger anyway.

out of curiosity did you leave the broiler on for the cook?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Anybody have a preference for a pita recipe for a wood-fired oven?

Heck, does anybody have anything else Greek or Middle Eastern they like to cook in a wood-fired oven?

We found a good Lebanese place here and finally got an idea of what some of this stuff could actually taste like, so now we're interested in trying some stuff with it.

so pita is just white bread cooked in a specific way. you can use just about any lean white bread dough you want, and work a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into it. knead it, let it proof, divide it up into balls. roll the balls out thinly, to 6-7 inches in diameter. let them proof, covered, on a sheet pan for 20 minutes or so.

the key is that second proof after rolled out flat followed by a very hot surface.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Yeah, we’ve been messing around with sandwich breads with our sourdough pizza dough that’s at the end of its proof, trying to get the size and rise right has resulted in at least delicious experiments.

Gyro sandwich

Caprese sandwich

would eat both of those mofos

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How thick are you targeting with this? I think my wife and I have decided we like them stupidly flat. Like, we're getting into some kind of chewy bread tortilla.

somewhere between an 1/8th and 1/4 inch thick, i'd wager. certainly you might try each and then bake and see how you like the comparison, and then go from there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

too close to the oven door so not as even as i’d like but overall good crust blisters and bottom bake for my standard range oven.

mozza, basil, tomato, garlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nope

but i don't put much salt in the tomato sauce, either, and proscuitto is fairly salty by its lonesome. i find the discussion fascinating because i've literally never had anyone suggest that the pies i make are too salty (not being defensive, i'm very open to criticism)