Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother with trying to use flour any more to keep the pizza from sticking to the peel/prep surface/stone - I just use parchment paper instead, throw the already formed crust on it, top it, slide onto peel, and then cook. I haven't noticed any difference in quality, but holy poo poo is it easier to deal with (and it makes a lot less mess!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ezrem posted:

This is a good idea as long as you trim the parchment to be exactly the same size as the pizza crust (or slightly smaller).

With the >450 temps you should be baking the pizza at, naked parchment will burn. Burned parchment doesn't taste very good.

[edit]
Also having said that, cornmeal works almost flawlessly as long as you use enough, and it gives you a little extra crunch. If it's not working, you're taking to long to build your pie or putting too many ingredients on.
[/edit]

Pro tip: don't eat the parchment paper.

But yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that I always do trim it as soon as I lay the dough down on it. The biggest reason for me is just the mess that cornmeal seems to make.

As for alternative pizzas such as bulgogi, I made an Italian beef pizza awhile back with roast beef, giardiniera, a horseradish sauce base, and a little bit of pepper jack cheese. It was the GF's idea, and pretty drat tasty to boot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Varasano's problem is that he is a poster boy Type A personality - he has in his mind the definition of the perfect pizza, and he wants to replicate that rather than develop his own. The problem is, the original place shut down so everything is up to his memory, which of course is purely subjective - and since he obviously can't taste every pizza his place sends out, it just goes downhill from there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nostrum posted:

Even though they have a lovely Web 1.0 website, http://www.bakingstone.com/. I spilled an entire pizza's worth of sauce on it at 800 degrees and it didn't make a peep.

I have the same one and it is fantastic.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mindphlux posted:

I want a car made out of quartz countertops =/

Do you only drive in school zones?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I've always just used King Arthur bread flour and it's turned out fine - truth be told, I have no idea what would make pizza flour any different (other than a higher price as a specialty item).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Isn't there also an issue with granite releasing Radon when heated to a certain point? A low enough point where having it in the oven would be a concern?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ObesePriest posted:

Hi everyone! I'm gonna attempt this this coming weekend because I've had homemade pizza before and it is delicious and all of these pizzas look so god drat good. Also I want to to build street cred.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind indulging me and my terribleness.

1. What is the best kind of cheese to use? I hear that reduced fat cheese isn't that good to use because it lacks that stretch that you get when you bite into a pizza. Can i use regular block cheese cut into squares? I also hear fresh mozzarella balls are good?

2. Do you guys pre cook your ingredients? So that you can avoid perfect crust and undercooked ingredients/ burned crust and well-done ingredients. I suppose this question can be linked to the temperature of the oven. It seems like all the ingredients are basically raw.

3. Speaking of which, What temperature do you guys cook your pizzas at? 450-900 seems to be good with higher being better. My oven goes to 550 max which seems sufficient by FogHelmut's delicious looking pizza.

I promise to post pics when its done!

1. Mozzarella is kind of the classic, and definitely use fresh if you do this. Some people add asiago or parmesan, but these don't melt as well. Fontina does melt well, but it's not very traditional.

2. General sentiment is to not cook your ingredients, with the exception of meats - meats should always go on precooked, precured, or presmoked. Depending on the meat, you may want to wait until the very end of the bake to put it on to retain texture, such as prosciutto. Other exceptions are toppings that are specifically cooked prior, for instance if you want grilled onions instead of fresh.

3. The hotter the better, and use a pizza stone/oven safe stone if at all possible. The hotter your oven gets, the shorter the cooking time, so keep an eye on it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You're not alone - I struck out cold in Houston, wound up ordering a baking stone online after trying a dozen different places.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ThirstyBuck posted:

I have a wimpy pizza stone that is about 1/2 thick and maybe 12-14in diameter. Where can I get a thick bad rear end pizza stone? I've heard of getting them from stone/granite places but I called one locally and they quoted me over $100 bucks for a slab. What are you using and where do you recommend I look for a sweet (inexpensive) stone? I don't care if it's half a broken jagged counter top as long as it cooks my delicious pizzas. Thanks.

http://www.bakingstone.com/

You're welcome.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GroovinPickle posted:

The manufacturer says that it'll emit a slight odor when you're breaking it in, but the odor was very strong and unpleasant for me. It took several hours (at least 3, probably more like 6) of heat to dissipate, but it eventually did. Now it works really well with no odor.

I have very little sense of smell so it wasn't an issue for me. One thing to be aware of, though, is that if you move and it's outside of an oven for more than a couple hours, you may want to break it in again since it'll readily pull moisture out of the air.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

DekeThornton posted:

I just spent about 11$ on a 40x40x3 cm slab of polished granite from a large builders warehouse over here. It fits perfectly in my oven, Tomorrow it's time totest it out on some bread, ad maybe later some pizza. I'm very excited.

Any tips for the first attempt? Should it be broken in in some way before cooking on it?

I thought polished granite was generally frowned upon for baking stones, since it can emit radon...

Edit: drat, meant to add this to my previous post. Sorry about that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ThirstyBuck posted:

Shooting Blanks - thanks for the website. It sounds like users are pretty happy with these although $70-90 I think is a bit much for a stone. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough. Or just cheap.

Those are very large stones, how big is your oven? Remember that ideally, you'll have some room between the stone and your oven's interior walls to allow for circulation. I have the 15.5" ($53) diameter version and I couldn't go any larger on width. Also remember that shipping is included int hat price..

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

IfIWereARichMan posted:

Yeah, there's no reason not to. You can leave it in even when youre not cooking pizza on it, it will be a thermal regulator which helps control temperature swings when you open the door for example.

Actually, there is a very good reason why you SHOULD leave it in the oven: assuming your oven gets at least semi regular use (a couple times a week), leaving it in will help prevent the stone from absorbing any moisture, which makes it more prone to crack or offgas. It will pull moisture out of the air regardless, but regularly heating it up is a good thing (and the humidity in the average home oven does tend to be slightly lower than outside, again due to use).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

How do you clear the ash out of a stove like that? Wait til the next day and use a small shovel? Leafblower?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Have you tried running that silicon stone through an oven cleaning cycle? I've never had that problem, and I've always cooked pizzas on parchment paper at 500 degrees on my stone...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

smarion2 posted:

So I'm making some pizza and was about to turn our oven to 500 and a crazy thought just popped in my head.

My parents have a kiln in our house that they use for pottery. Now this bad boy gets up to about 3000 degrees which would obviously charcoal a pizza pretty quickly. I was thinking if I was feeling daring I could modify it a bit and turn it on it's side and use it as a pizza oven while it warms up at about 700-800?

Please someone tell me I'm an idiot before I ruin my parent kiln...

I don't think turning a vessel designed to heat to 3000 degrees on its side is a very good idea, regardless of if you can drop the temperature. Whatever the actual risk of failure may be, the potential consequences could be pretty ugly. Especially if it's inside the house, as you say.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Walk Away posted:

It's so true. I hate eating pizza anywhere else but at home now.

There are a couple places here in Houston that do pretty good...but yeah, I basically can't eat chain pizza any more. I ordered Domino's a few weeks ago because they had a good coupon online, and I don't think I finished a second slice before I threw it away. It was just terrible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tenchrono posted:

This is going to sound weird, But is there a way to make a high protein Pizza Dough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JwkIDRpp5s

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I have finally convinced my GF that, since we can't agree on a good pizza place that will deliver to us, that I will be making homemade pizza from now on unless it's a last minute need-to-order something situation (working late or whatever).

I am hoping to have pics in here within the next week or two.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

agentseven posted:

He meant add it to the actual dough. You'll notice my recipe has a bit of oil in there. I brush oil on the crust too, but that's to get some flavor and browning.

Also, if you knead in your KA like my recipe tells you to, your mind will be blown by how slack the dough is when you go to stretch it.

What do you set your KA at to knead the dough? I've had very little luck making pizza dough in general, but that's probably because:

I don't own a scale (no room for more stuff, tiny kitchen)
I live in a very humid part of the country, so my dough is almost certainly over hydrated.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Pizza place near me is closing and a friend got their dough recipe. Apparently they used a 7:1 ratio of flour to water to make dough, is that crazy or is it just me? Their pizza wasn't great but their pepperoni rolls were stellar.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, I live in Houston and it's very humid here but not THAT humid.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That's a really pretty pizza and a great looking crust, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Holy hell, congratulations!