Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Someone mentioned cast iron. I was thinking if putting a cast iron griddle in the oven would work well as a substitute for a "real" pizza stone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah a kitchen scale is the best investment I've made in years and years.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

western eyes posted:

Parchment paper will have less friction. You can just flick the cutting board forward real quick and it will slide right off, and when you're pulling it out, you can just grab the edge of the paper. I still use cornmeal when I'm shaping the dough because dough sticking to the paper is a gigantic pain.

Would it be OK to just slide the pizza on the paper into the oven, does it have to make physical contact with the stone?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

nmfree posted:

To add to parchment chat, make sure you actually use parchment and not waxed paper.

If the waxed paper doesn't catch fire, it makes a mess and melts to the bottom of the crust. Ask me how I know :smith:

I'm a bit unfamiliar with american terms here. The paper I would use translated to "oven paper" or "baking paper" and is meant to be used for baking in the oven, I got another paper that's called "butter paper" which is meant for 'cold' applications only. I use that for things like separating burger patties and whatnot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

About these pizza steels, are they any special type of steel? What I'm wondering is, why not just get myself to the junk yard and buy some 12mm (1/2") plate steel, carbon or stainless, for 1-3 euros a kilo and cut it to a suitable size and polish it up?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

I think you want to use a36 structural carbon/black steel for its conductivity and retention properties. No pickle & oil. I think it was hot rolled? Tell the steel mill that you're going to use it for food so they know not to treat it with anything dangerous. I liked 3/8 inch thickness.

Stainless steel is 1) expensive as hell compared to a36 and 2) a horrible heat conductor

There's no mill here just a big junk yard. I was walking around the scrap heaps looking for other stuff, I kinda forgot about this. No fun being outside in -20C weather. I found something that looked like it could have been an inch thick steel but it was gigantic and I didn't have any way to cut pieces off it when I was there. Prices where probably 60 cents to a euro rather than 3 euros / kg though.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 22, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Very thin crust pizza, thinnest I ever made. Very quick and easy to make and it turned out good. Used this recipe for the sauce and dough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTgZA5xezc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This took a while but patience always pays off. Over a year ago I was looking for a cheap, large steel earlier and I got access to a junkyard. But I was vary of getting anything from there because you never know if it's been the inside of an oil tank or something. Well apparently you can tell if you know what to look for.

Anyway a friend found an 8mm thick by 47cm square piece (that's nearly 3/8" by 18.5") he says is just a waste cut from something else so its fresh steel, he had it at home (got loads of steel and junk, always rebuilding something) and I'm getting it for less than 10 bucks. Gonna cut it round and put it on my weber grill. Will make for an excellent pizza steel and general frying surface.

Gonna weld up some bars on the underside to prevent heat warping anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You'd be surprised how much metal can warp from heat, some types are more prone to it than others, a big factor when welding... anything really. Some of the commerical stuff I've seen like this 1/4 model, has three pieces tacked on the bottom to counteract this, I was gonna do the same thing, better safe than sorry I think:

https://patronsofthepit.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/review-breakfast-with-the-mojoe-griddle/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OK I got my frying plate / pizza steel done now. My stick welding needs work but good enough I guess. I wasn't gonna bother actually (lazyness) but when I put it down I found I needed the "legs" anyway to act as risers or it would not fit on the grill. So eh. Also found out I need to drill some holes so I can lower and remove it with handles.

Now to season it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made a pizza peel today, wanted to try making a pizza on my steel griddle on my grill. It didn't turn out that great sadly, too hot! Burned bottoms :( I guess it can get too hot after all.

At least I can use it with the oven, once I buy a stone or something. The steel is far too large for my oven.

A knot flew away from the side of the peel as I routed the edges, but I think it adds character.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made pizza last sunday. Well four of them. Making pizza properly takes effort and time that I am not going to put in for one lousy pizza.

I went all in on the tomato sauce, caramelizing a buncha onions and letting the sauce simmer for hours, I think that worked out well.

This is my favorite (pepperonis, pineapple and loads of hot sauce)

I wonder is there anyone else who has problems with the dough getting too thin in the middle when you toss it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ShaneB posted:

Nope! I have been using it a bit more in the oven as a heat spreader/shield for the above rack, which has a cast iron dutch oven for sourdough baking. That's it. No steamy stuff.

Seasoned it so it gets a black finish? That gives some rust protection.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I considered this, and decided it was a fair point. However, I just took a look at Amazon, and the only appropriate baking steel I see is $190. Is that just what they cost? I am currently corona-furloughed, so I am aiming lower than that.

Baking steel prices are loving ridiculous compared to what the steel actually costs. If you where you go to some fabrication shop where they work with steel you could get some suitable off-cut or leftover for fraction of the price.

I got a round 22" 1/4 steel for 10 euros, it was leftover from a plasma cutout, fresh steel otherwise, I cut it down with an angle grinder and it now lives permanently in my oven.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I. M. Gei posted:

Hello?

... anybody?

A grill and a baking steel is not a good combo ask me how I know... You want a baking stone for the grill. The steel gets too hot and burns your pizza. The steel is meant for regular ovens that don't get hot enough like a true pizza oven, it's a way to get around it.

So yeah you can have too much heat! I didn't think it was possible either...

I got a cheapo stone from the local analog to harbour freight or home depot for the grill.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I. M. Gei posted:

The steel is burning the bottoms of my pizzas before the tops get cooked. Which is apparently what steels do on kamado-style grills.

Basically anywhere the heat is coming from the bottom instead of the top. And also getting the internal environment as hot as a grill does vs an oven, but the heat will rise and hit the steel first. Making burnination the name of the game.

Put your steel in the oven in the middle or so and heat it to 250C or whatever it is in farenheit, the max I guess, let it come to heat and bake on it with the steel.

Any cheapo pizza stone will work for the grill, mine cost like 10 bucks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Reynold posted:

I get it if you're looking to go as cheap as possible, but I'd rather pay an extra $20 for some pre-seasoned cast iron and not worry about soaking, filing, and seasoning a piece of steel. Sounds too much like work.

What just leave it in the oven all the time. I've never taken mine out except one time I used it on the stove as a big griddle.

IMO you ideally want a square so it fits in the ovens "side holders" and doesn't have to rest on anything else.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

This aluminum sheet pan can kiss my rear end, I need black steel. Crust is cooked but colorless and might as well be steamed.

You know aluminum is a way better conductor of heat than steel or cast iron, it's why it's used for cooling fins on CPUs and sandwiched inside the bottoms of frying pans. The real problem of that aluminum pan is that it's so thin, no mass to it.

Now I bet if you got yourself a 3/8 or so piece of aluminum your pizzas would catch on fire...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ah good. Ok that’s not bad.

Because read cast iron pan weirdos and you’re breaking out the sanding wheel for pre seasoning polishing etc.

Hey I got the tools so I am gonna use them. Not gonna spend 50 years getting rid of that knobbly surface the long way round, really improved my pan too and I used it for years beforehand so I had a benchmark. But I was aiming to get a pan that made teflon obsolete, for making pizza, meh it'll work as is.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

So I'm gonna try this again tomorrow, assuming I move my steel to the bottom rack, preheat it for an hour, is there anything else I need to do?

I've always kept my steel at the bottom rack, so when not in use it just works to even out the ovens temperature fluctuations.

So people use the steel on the top rack...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah I googled that and it looks like too much effort for me to be honest. When I make a "real" pizza I just take place the pizza on the steel on the bottom rack, and I never make less than 5 pizzas if I go through the trouble of making real pizza so I have kind of an assembly line going and can't be too attentive so small details like changing modes on the oven between pizzas. Just leave the oven on max all the time and let it preheat so the steel is hot.

Last night I made a square pan pizza instead, since I got hungry for one of those after reading about it. Way easier, much less mess, and came out tasty, used a simple 60% hydration dough with extra olive oil. I didn't cook the dough separately. Middle rack with the steel in the bottom rack, 200C (reduced to 170C after a while to prevent the cheese from overbrowning) for 25 minutes and it was done, cheese was just fine and the crust cooked through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Detroit style pizza... Reminds me of the kind of pizza my parents used to make in the 1980s when pizza was a new thing here.