Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
I made a pizza too! (click for huge)

Used premade dough from the market though. Late night snack.
Over easy egg, fresh jalapeno, basil, mozzarella, sauce was just crushed tomatoes, olive oil, and a tiny bit of oregano. Drizzled some olive oil on top when it came out. I cooked it on the cast iron pan but I didn't let it heat up in the oven long enough so the cheese started to brown before the crust really set up, ended up putting it on the stove top for a minute or two to crisp up the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
I have the same problem occasionally.

Are you stretching it too thin? You might also want to try stretching the dough out to size and then letting it sit for about 5 minutes before you add your sauce/toppings and put it in the oven. This might help it get a little more chewy. Alton Brown talks about this in the video that Darval posted above.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Koppite posted:

Pizza stone Q:

1. My pizza stone doesn't get nearly as hot as the sheet pan I use to cook the pizza. Why is that? Do I need to leave the stone in for a long time before cooking and the place the pizza on the stone via peel?

I preheat the oven with the stone in it for about an hour, then a few minutes before I put the pizza in the oven I put the stone under the broiler on high to get it hotter. Once my pizza is ready to go, I put the stone back in the middle of the oven and put the pizza on it. I've had the best results this way.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Yea I'm gonna have to disagree. I prefer a simple sauce with just tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, and romano cheese. I usually just mix that up and let it sit before I start stretching the dough out. I always add some fresh cut basil after the pizza comes out of the oven, but that's not in the sauce. But hey, whatever works for you.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Sacrilage posted:

And thebigpicture, I'm not preaching, it's just a personal taste thing, so I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. If we're talking about a pizza that needs the tomatoes to be front and center, yeah, simple is best. De gustibus non est disputandum. My original comment of "good pizza sauce is a hell of a lot more than tomatoes" was simply an observation that I was trying to pigeonhole a simple tomato pizza sauce into a pie that needed something else.

Absolutely. Didn't mean to come off snarky or anything. We all have our preferences.