Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laylow
Jan 24, 2008
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I have had good results getting proper thin crust pizza on a cast iron round(not skillet. I tried it first on an upside down skillet but it was too small). Put the ungreased, uncured skillet on the highest burner for a good while, if you have previously greased this pan at all it will smoke at this point. once the smoke subsides and it is a dark grey (not red/pink at all) you can lay your dough onto it and transfer, with gloves or other protection, under a preheated broiler. I have found this combo of residual cast iron heat from underneath and direct overhead broiler heat matches the situation in a real pizza oven nicely.

The reason for all this is that i was popping pizza stones on the reg and it felt like a bummer that i was paying 20us$ every time i spilled grease/sauce on my stone and it blew up. Its a little more Micro manage-y but its pretty easy to visually tell the temp of cast iron so you will get the hang of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU