Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Here's a link to some (lovely) step by step instructions on how to build a (lovely) brick pizza oven. I posted it in the last pizza thread too, but it was towards the end so I don't know how many people saw it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423371&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post393312380

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I'm trying to find some other things to use it for because I do prefer my stone.

I don't know how DIY you are, but maybe if you can figure out a way to remove the hinge you'd have a decent electric skillet. If the top half is heated also, then you'd have two skillets that store away pretty small. You'd be a hero at cooking breakfast on that thing.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
You guys mean a Stromboli?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromboli_(food)

Stromboli is a nice change every once and a while, but I'd rather make a pizza. I tend to buy stromboli from a pizzeria instead of making them.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

88h88 posted:

Has anyone found any decent plans for a wood-fired oven? I'm doing my garden over spring/summer and would like to get an oven built somewhere in there because gently caress, I love pizza.

http://www.fornobravo.com/ has plans to build some pretty hardcore pizza ovens.

If you have archives, here is a link to a thread I did on building a quick and dirty pizza oven for about $200. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423371&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post393312380

If you don't have archives, here is the web page I stumbled over that I based my oven off of. http://people.umass.edu/dac/projects/BrickOven/Instant_BrickOven.htm

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Use crushed tomatoes from a can, throw it in a pan for 15 minutes to soften up, add spices to taste. It doesn't new to b an all day slow cooked affair.
Also, generally, canned tomatoes will make better sauces then fresh tomatoes. The ones you buy in produce aren't really the right kind to use for sauce, but the canned ones are because that's pretty much the reason why they sell them, sauces.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Queen Elizatits posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought technically you weren't even supposed to precook canned tomatoes for pizza because you bake it at such a high heat.
Regardless the best sauce I've ever had are canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes.

That may be the case, honestly, that just what I do for a quick pasta sauce, but I figured it would work.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea but the fake garlic butter dipping sauce makes it worth it.

I need to make a pie but I've been putting it off cause I've been doing a low carb thing for the past 3 months. Then I end up cracking when I'm drunk and buying 2 am slices. It's just not the same as a nice 900 degree cleaning cycle pizza.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Care to share his advice? I'm limited to a 550 degree oven myself.

:edit: Also, that pie looks wonderful.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Pizza isn't supposed to be perfectly round or square. :colbert:

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I never had luck with lowes or Home Depot trying to get unglazed quarry tile. They either had no clue, or it was a box of 4x4 squares. I ended up getting slightly larger rectangles to line my lovely brick oven, but I had to go to a specialty tile place. Even they couldn't source a large/pizza sized solid piece.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Mozzarella should be in literally any grocery store.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I don't think so, but I've never been to the UK. "Mozzarella" is the name of the cheese, I don't really think there is an English translation for it since it's a proper noun...maybe look for something labeled "Pizza cheese" cause that's about the only other way I could think it would be labeled. It's a a staple for any Italian cooking, so it really shouldn't be hard to find.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
You actually want it pretty wet when you knead it anyway using a KA. I leave my KA at 1 for about a minute or two to incorporate the ingredients, then let it sit for ~20 minutes. I only use about 75% of my total flour (I eyeball it) so it's nice and wet. After the 20 minute rest, I knead for 5 minutes at 1, then turn it up to 2 while I slowly add the rest of the flour over another 3 minutes or so. I use a rubber spatula to push any dough on the edges back down so it gets mixed in better. Once it starts climbing up the dough hook and turning into a ball I let it run for a few more seconds to make sure then shut it down.

That's basically Varsano's method give or take, and it seems to work pretty well. I do split out all my ingredients by weight, for what it's worth, but I generally will stop adding flour when the dough hits that change point and balls up/climbs the hook.

:Edit: I got a really small mechanical scale from Marshals for about $5. The scale itself sits inside its basket and has a lid, it's no bigger then 3 inches by 4 inches all packed up, and I just put a larger Tupperware on top for the flour.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 7, 2013

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea also checking in as a brewer, just eyeball it or use a measuring spoon. Even Rhulman uses measuring spoons for yeast in Ratio.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 14, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Run the clean cycle on your oven. It'll look like a brand new stone. Of course if you haven't run the clean cycle in a while it may belch a lot of smoke out.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Ehhh I couldn't say. Clean cycles usually get up to ~900 degrees and basically turn any organic matter to ash.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

Why are pizza ovens like Alpha, Fontana and Fornetto so expensive? $3,000+ for what amounts to a box with a dome inside? What am I missing?

It's really heavy. Pizza ovens have a ton of mass. I built one in my parents yard out of cinder blocks and bricks and a slate roof. It was kind of on short notice so I still paid like $250 in materials. I probably could have done it almost for free if you browse craigslist frequently enough. I couldn't get firebricks either, but it probably would have raised the cost quite a bit.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I bought unglazed ceramic quarry tile and lined the bottoms and sides with it. I used regular brick for the walls and cinder locks for the base.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
http://people.umass.edu/dac/projects/BrickOven/Instant_BrickOven.htm

This was my basic inspiration, I made mine a bit bigger. If you have archives, I believe the thread where I showed the build was in the DIY forum, though the images may have been on waffle images. Also, I think somewhere within the first 10 pages of this thread there should be a link to the original thread.

Anyway, it generally took me around a hour to an hour and a half to get it up to temp. I'm not an engineer or construction person, so I couldn't mortar the bricks together (this made it really hard to get the heat above 650) so I ended up just slapping wet mortar around the outside to seal the cracks.
The trade off is that it became a lot harder to keep a fire going since I didn't really have a vent, it ended up choking itself out a lot. On the plus side, when I was willing to babysit it, I got around 850 degrees which was awesome. Pizzas took about a minute and a half to two minutes.
It was really finicky and I think that is because I wanted to build a larger chamber. It seems like that guys oven worked really well and I probably should have opted to double layer the bricks instead of using a larger space.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
^^^^it's definitely alive, brewers/vinters use previous batch yeast cakes all the time. As for different yeast, well, it will be a different strain, but bakers and brewers yeast are both saccharomyces cerevisiae. Bakers yeast is just a strain that shifts towards rapid CO2 production, give beer and wine yeast enough time and they'll make enough co2 also.

As a regular reader and poster in the brewing thread and the pizza thread, I'd say use it. I use my beer yeast all the time.its not as quick rising and it will probably more sensitive to temperatures though. I scoop out around a tablespoon and make a slurry with it in warm water then add a little sugar to proof it.
Make sure you're doing a long rise with it and look up the strain to check its minimum temperature, a regular fridge will probably be too cold, so I personally use my fermentation chamber which I keep more in the 50-70 degree range.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 8, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Don't see a reason it wouldn't work. I think someone in the pizza steel purchasing thread said something about buying a sheet of cast iron and using it. Give it a shot and report back...what's the worst that can happen? An OK pizza?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Go to bed bath and beyond. I got mine for like 25 and it's well made.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I'm not gonna lie. I have zero problems with nuking leftover pizza. It's got a lot of water content so it heats pretty well, you just lose the crunch of the crust. It ends up kinda soft like dominoes or Pizza Hut, which isn't great, but it's not like it makes it bad if you used good ingredients for everything else.

The real mistake is not eating cold pizza though.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Maybe broil the steel for a while, really get its temp up from the direct heat off the element. I don't have a steel yet through.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Are you using any kind of stone? Your dough looks like it's still a bit raw. A broiler cooks the top really quick since it's direct heat. The bottom of your crust is cooking from radiant heat without a stone so it's cooking slower. Think of the cheese and sauce as an insulation layer since there is a lot of water between them. Any dough under the toppings isn't getting much heat off the broiler. A preheated stone or steel will apply direct heat to the bottom of your crust.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Hmm, how are you making the dough? I do a steel in a 550 oven on bake with dough that's generally 60-75% hydrated. I'd say the two variables to look at are cooking method or dough technique.

Try the dough you are using with the steel in the center rack, preheated, and the oven on bake instead. You're doing what I do in terms of equipment and preheating, so that's plenty of heat for the crust on the bottom, meaning it's probably not on the steel long enough. The only way to keep it on the steel longer is to slow down how fast you cook the top. I use the bake method and it comes out great. Don't focus too much on using a fixed method, look at all of the methods and see which works best in your oven.

The dough is less likely to be a problem, but I've found my doughs became much easier to work with when I switched from a kitchen-aid with dough hook to an autolyse and folding technique. It's pretty easy and I can form the pie a lot easier which means I don't wreck up the gas bubbles in the dough as much. This have given me better crumb in my crust. You should be able to find this method online. I learned it from the book "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish which is a great book if you are interested in both pizza and bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Well, to change the outcome we need to adjust a variable somewhere. Right now your stuck with good top and raw dough or cooked dough and burnt top. The abstract solutions are to increase the heat applied to the bottom, decrease the heat applied to the top, adjust distances from the heat sources, or monitor your heat cycle and adjust where in the heat cycle you put it in the oven.

To address those variables in a practical application you can:

Try lowering the steel to be further from the broiler to slow the top cooking time

Start with straight bake and finish with the broiler to better equalize the cook time requirements between the top and bottom.

Monitor your broiler cycle for temperature and time. Adjust where in the cycle you are putting your pie in until you find a sweet spot.

If I was having your issue in my oven and was dead set on broiling, I think I would preheat the steel on bake, switch to high broil to heat the element and apply some extra radiant heat to the top of the steel. Then I'd wait for the heating element to cycle off and slide in the pie. Then I'd switch the broiler to low to try to better equalize the finish timing for the top and bottom. I have an electric oven though, so the element keeps radiating some heat after it switches off, a gas oven might not apply as much direct heat to the top of the pie in the off-cycle.