Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Been going pretty crazy making pizza twice a week since I got my pizza oven.

Some standouts:

Sauce: Crushed Strianese San Marzano tomatoes
Toppings: Fresh mozz, romano, pesto
Notes: Lazy Margherita. Fresh basil in the garden and at the store were all lovely, so pesto it was. Was good, but too soupy.

Sauce: Doro Wot sauce
Toppings: Sous vide berbere chicken, eggs
Notes: loving awesome. Did a batch of doro wot on Thursday and had a bunch of sauce left. Will 100% do this again.

Sauce: Marinara
Toppings: Meatballs, Mozz, Parm
Notes: Leftover meatballs and sauce. Really good, but so thick and hearty that the crust was really lost. Will probably not do this one again. It basically just felt like "why did I bother making this pizza instead of just eating the meatballs?"

Sauce: Savory chili sweet potato puree
Toppings: Oak grilled ancho marinated chicken thighs, cotija cheese, cilantro, chipotle/lime crema salvadorena
Notes: REALLY loving good. Not much else to say on this one.

Sauce: Saag
Toppings: Paneer cheese
Notes: Leftover saag paneer that I cooked down a little more. Made into a calzone. Pretty awesome. I want a place to sell these on the street downtown when it's cold. So hearty, so warm, and actually really clean to eat, no drips.

Sauce: Caramelized onion balsamic jam
Toppings: Buttermilk blue cheese, arugula, prosciutto
Notes: Very good. Needed something to sweeten a little more against all the salt. Have more stuff, so will try some shaved pears on it today.

Sauce: Chimichurri (3/4 cilantro, 1/4 mint)
Toppings: Shaved sous vide lamb, provologne, more chimichurri
Notes: Definitely the favorite that I have made so far. Spicy, garlicky, sweet, savory, salty, buttery lamb. Just loving awesome. Very proud of this one.

Sauce: Brine
Toppings: Mozzarella
Notes: Boobs

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

If you wanna make pizza with fat slices of fresh mozzarella, you'll have to press the mozz slices between paper towels for like 5 minutes to get the water out or else you'll end up with soup.

I tear chunks, but drain and press, yeah. This was soupy because I oversauced with the tomatoes, and then added olive oil like normal, even though I should have realized that the pesto already had plenty.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Reposting from the main dinner thread.

Made some more pizzas since last week.

Finally made a Margherita that I am truly proud of. Sprung for the actual buffalo mozzarella and it actually does make a huge difference. The texture is softer, , not rubber, but firm, and the tang is amazing.

This is: San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozz, sauteed garlic mushrooms, smoked Bavarian salami. Humble, but really tasty. I actually make this one pretty frequently. One of my favorite combos.

This is: Provlone, olive oil, peppered bacon, 2 duck eggs, lemon/oil arugula salad, parm. loving decadent. Was too excited about this one and forgot to take a full shot. Next time will do parm shavings instead of microplane. Was goddamn amazing though.

Duck eggs will be my go-to egg from now on. Taste awesome, and cook easier due to being a much higher yolk:white ratio. The hardest part of cooking a chicken egg on a pizza is cooking the white without overcooking the yolk. Duck egg was thoughtless, it just came out perfect.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks!

I'm actually just using the biggest Pizza Party oven, the Pizzone and I love it. I like how forgiving the space is for moving the pizza around, but I haven't really actually been able to do more than one pie at a time. I open a 9oz ball into a 13 inch skin though, so if I were to shave 2oz off, I could fit two in at a time pretty easily. But 9oz/13in is the perfect size to me, so I am hesitant. Someday I will do a full on traditional oven on a foundation, but with how good the Pizza Party is, the only real benefits are more pizzas at once, and less micromanagement. You need a good solid flame in the Pizzone to get even top down browning, but keeping that level of fire up means the floor is gonna get way too hot, so I cook in waves.

I just got the upgraded Saputo tiles so I can cook hotter, but I've gotten rained out the last two weeks, so haven't even installed them yet. The default floor tiles max out at about 780f, otherwise the bottom burns in my experience. The new tiles have lower thermal conductivity, so should be able to cook in the 900-1000f range without scorching the hell out of the bottom. Faster cook, more traditional crust texture. The current pies are loving great, but actually end up being pretty crispy on the bottom, and the crusts are a little crackly instead of the traditional pillowy soft and chewy. I'll probably just switch out tiles based on what I feel like for the day.

The buffalo mozz is a killer. It is so much better, but so much more expensive. With the portion you see on my pies, it's $3.30 worth of cheese per Margherita. As someone harboring fantasies of opening my own place in the next few years, I have got to find a more reasonable option.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Been a long time without a post, but plenty of pizza making!

I got the new Saputo tiles in, and...

Overall I am very happy with them, but they churn out very different results. Much more traditional Neapolitan, instead of the Neo-Neapolitan I had been making. I've been getting up over 1000f and getting great, if wildly different to what I am used to, results.

The crust is much softer, with very little crackle, but an amazing mixture of chewy and soft. The bottoms are not nearly as crisp, but they somehow still hold up pretty well on picking up. There's a very distinct smokey char flavor that permeates the whole pie, which is loving excellent. I am getting way better top browning since you have to keep an active fire to get up that high in temp at the floor. It was tricky to have good top flames, but still keep floor temps under 825 on the old tiles.

With less time in there, you get less evaporation of whatever sauce you are using, so lower the amount of sauce/tomato, otherwise you'll end up with a pie that is too soupy.

I think that there are pies that I would prefer on the old floor, and pies I prefer on the new one. Pretty much anything with charcuterie that isn't precooked came out a little better at the old temps, since it had time for the meats to render and crisp up. At 1000+, my calabreses and pepperonis get hot, and have a tiny thin line of black around the edges, but the rest is soft. Most everything else though, I think I solidly prefer the higher temps.

Enough talk. Let's get some pizza pics!

My first Marg on the new tiles. Was a baby and only took it up to 880 to be "safe". Ended up with kind of the worst of both worlds somehow. Was not bad, but I didn't get either of the distinctions that make the two types shine. Every pizza post after this is 950+

Bacon (precooked), buttermilk blue cheese, provolone, caramelized onion jam, honey, shaved bosc pears. Good, but actually TOO much flavor punching you in the face. I need to either eliminate one/two ingredients, or add arugula to the top to mellow it out and add freshness.

Pesto, mozz, sauteed garlic mushrooms. loving awesome. Only change I would make is to lower the parm in the pesto, and shave some fresh over the top for serving. Plenty of parm flavor throughout, just not a good salty punch like I wanted. Crust was pretty much my platonic ideal.

Homemade merguez sausage (amazingly good), whole milk ricotta, mushrooms. Pretty good, but definitely a little flat on the flavor (fixed in later iteration with lemon infused olive oli). The mushrooms also desperately needed to be precooked. With less than a minute of cooking time, the tops were dry, and the bottoms were raw.

My first 1000+ Marg. Went a liiiiitttlllee underdone due to being nervous about ruining it. This was in the oven for only 45 seconds.

Time warping pizza

Maybe my best Marg ever? right at 1025f on the floor when this went in. One small, slightly thin spot on the bottom due to poor opening on my part.

Easily the best Marinara I have ever made or had anywhere. Went in while my thermometer read "OH", which means it capped out at over 1050f. Was in there for about 43 seconds, and was goddamn amazing. The smokiness was powerful, the olive oil was unctuous, the garlic was sharp but not overpowering, the tomato was bright and fresh. Crust was stellar. loving ugh. Just goddamn awesome.

Provolone, chunks of peppered goat cheese, peppered bacon, garlic mushrooms, arugula dressed heavily with lemon-infused olive oil. Really good. 7.5/10, would make again.

Another better looking round of the same.

Good but not great Marg. Opened too soon after balling and went in too cold. Too hard to stretch out to thin enough, and going in cold causes bigger leopard spots with white dough in between. Still ate the hell out of it.

This fuckin' pizza. This was a birthday request from my girlfriend, otherwise I would have never have defiled the purity of the great creation of GLORIOUS NAPOLI. She wanted the ultimate trendy foodie hipster pizza. Modernist mac and cheese, extra saucy as the base, bacon, avocado, fried eggs, sriracha. Disgusting. gently caress this was good, and I am ashamed

And finally, a Marg for those of you with children that you need to teach about female anatomy. This is what happens when you are pulling buffalo mozz apart over the pizza, and a solitary drop of brine hits the edge of the pizza and rolls down, causing the dough to stick to the peel.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 30, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I agree on the baking steel value. I have purchased 3 baking stones in my life. 2 of them lasted less than a month due to sauce splatter on crazy hot stone. The third has lasted a year because I cooked 1 pizza on it before getting a dedicated pizza oven, and have not made pizza on the stone again. It still lives in my regular oven as extra thermal mass.

door Door door posted:

Whoever was asking for a crust shot of my pan pizza last week, here ya go:

The crust is still just a little thick; I'll probably try cutting down the dough recipe another 5% next time.

Unf. Texbook perfect buttery brown bottom and crispy burned cheese edge. Gorgeous.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 4, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kaedric posted:

Sold. I went with the Big. Am now waiting patiently to see how long it takes to get shipped :(

Do people use their steels for things other than pizza? I know the bakingsteel site lists a bunch of stuff, but that could just be marketing. I don't know if it's GOOD to use to make, say, a bunch of cookies with.

I wouldn't use for cookies. If you preheat for long enough to get the stone up to temp, you may burn your bottoms. Cookies are coming out great with the current sheet pan method, so I'd be hesitant to do something that changes the cooking dynamic so drastically.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Veritek83 posted:

this does not sound correct

Yeah, even if you go generous creatively and say by volume instead of weight, that is still less than 30% hydration.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks crazy awesome! And the pizza looks really good too.

What are you using for tomato? That looks crazy thick.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Do you prefer the flavor of the cooked, or are you just trying to get rid of some of the water to prevent a soupy pie?

I run mine through the medium grind on a food mill to get a consistent texture and get rid of all of the seeds, but my favorite brand of tomatoes is still a little too watery. I plop that mixture into a fine mesh cheesecloth and let it drain. After about 20 minutes I end up with tomato solids the consistency of yogurt, and just add the tomato water back in to reach my desired consistency and chuck (or repurpose) the rest. I wash and reuse the cloth. It's a tiny bit more effort, but I get the perfect product without having to sacrifice the bright fresh tomato taste.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That sounds really awesome. I may have to give that a try.

What brand of tomatoes are you using?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Regas are good, but you should give Carmelinas a try on your next order. They don't have the DOP stamp, but they are from Campania, they're notably cheaper, and they are tied for the best tomato that I have tried. I went through 12ish brands side by side, and Carmelina was tied with the Gusta Rosso's that were like $12 PER CAN, through an intermediary since they are only sold in Italy.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
^^^^ That sounds loving delicious, and I am going to do that.

Try out various charcuterie. If you've got a mid-upscale grocery with a well stocked deli counter, ask any of the non bored teenager types about what charcuteries cook well. You can go raw as well, that you put on right as the pizza comes out super hot, to melt a little. Some of my favorites:

Cooked on pizza:
Calabrese
Hot Sopressata
any "Napoli" salami

After pulling out:
prosciutto
SUPER thinly shaved guanciale
Bresaola

For veggies, my absolute favorite is mushrooms. Just sliced and cooked on the pie is good, but you can do better! I quarter my mushrooms, then sautee them very hot in some butter and olive oil and salt. You want some real browning on there, not just cooking them through. When they are done and you turn off the heat, stir in a crushed clove of garlic and a sprig of rosemary. The residual heat will cook them some, and they'll be perfect when they come out of the oven.

Don't underestimate the value of tossing a thin layer of lightly-dressed normal/baby arugula on top after coming out of the oven. Lends some great fresh flavor and a great texture. One of my favorite pies is just provolone and olive oil in the oven, topped with prosciuto, then a balsamic dressed arugula with parm shavings. Simple and delicious. You can pick out each individual flavor distinctly, and together they are awesome.

For other toppings/sauces:

Lemon-infused olive oil (just grate a ton of zest into a light olive oil, heat up for a few minutes, strain)
Chili oil! Go to an Asian market and try a bunch (Ning Chi Extra Hot is my favorite)
Adobo sauce out of a can of chipotles
Smoked salt
Mexican Crema (If you can find crema in a mexican grocery, or your normal grocery store, just search for recipes for flavored cremas, like chipotle, cilantro lime, etc...)

Just have fun and experiment. Yeah, it sucks if you go to a lot of effort and end up not liking something, but you won't discover great new stuff without risking it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I had an Uuni, and it is absolutely capable of kicking out some amazing pies. You're going to love it!

Some hard-learned lessons though:

Buy the pellets from Uuni. Every other brand of pellet I tried burned dirtier, less consistently, and at least 75 degrees cooler. Half of the other pellets left this awful dark resin on my pies.

Start the fire with the chute adjuster on the lowest setting, once you have a stable fire, open it all the way up.You're actually going to even want to wangjangle some more pellets than naturally fall out, out over the fire to get it roaring hot.

The fire goes in cycles as you knock more pellets loose. You are going to want to give it a full hot cycle to heat up the floor, then knock some more pellets loose to get another hot cycle going. Make your pizza quickly and launch it right as the new hot cycle is in full swing to get proper top browning.

Don't overload your pies with toppings. The steel peel it comes with is not actually super slippery, and the heavier your pie, the more flour you need, which scorches on the bottom and becomes bitter. Unless you want to make a custom wood peel to fit the Uuni, keep your pies relatively lightly topped (in the style of GLORIOUS NAPPOLI anyway).

If you are cooking for more than one person, plan on it being a event for the night. It doesn't make huge pies, or kick them out quickly, so if you are looking to feed multiple people, it is going to take some time. Make that an event, and you'll have a drat good time of it.

Enjoy! If you have any questions about using yours, don't hesitate to speak up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Very nice! Where's the finished pizza shots?!? You don't tell your guests they have to wait for their hot food while you instagram it?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
We can definitely sort you out with some good dough recipe options. Can go simple, or super spergy. What's your setup like? How high does your oven go? Gas or electric? Do you already have a pizza stone/steel, and if not, are you willing to spend $20-$150 on one?

What kind of pizza crust do you like? Do you like a dark, earthy, herby sauce, or sweet, or bright and fresh?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry for the delay. Work got crazy, and I wanted this to be pretty complete. I just got through about 80% of an effort post on a laptop before fat fingering f5 instead of the number 4, and lost all of it, so.... Will retype everything up in the next few days. Sorry!

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 6, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, I was going to effort post, but it was all pretty much just expanding on what Submarine Sandpaper gave you, without actually adding too much value. So, do what they said. (fish sauce is awesome, but you can use regular MSG if you cannot get over the idea of it).

Also, go here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

It it where all of the pizza spergs live, including a ton of pizzeria owners and can answer any question you could ever have. Pick a type you like, go to that subforum, and there will be a plethora of info.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

Does anyone have advice on, like, making pizza less dense? Is it a matter of using not enough water? I just did one with 70% hydration and it was really soft and pliable but when I made it, it was pretty dense when I ate it and sort of gave me a mild stomachache. I'll post pics in a bit.

I was using the broiler method which I had never used before and I think I took it out too early because I thought the cheese was burning and I mean I guess it was but I should have left it in longer to cook fully either way.

It was a same-day dough so I made it at like 4, let it rise for a couple hours, then punched it down and formed it into pizzas at around 6 and then ate it. Maybe I should have punched it down then let it rise for another hour or something before using it?

Like others said, the dough does look a little raw, but I'm betting that's actually a symptom of the dough not being ready. It being that dense means that it takes more heat/time to actually cook through. You're using a good baking method, that usually results in the crust/cheese/toppings all being done at the same time. Exchange a dough that is too dense, and that explains your cheese about to burn, while the crust is still not cooked.

2 hours is way short for a dough. It's not enough time for the billions of little yeast cells to make enough little bitty air bubbles throughout the dough that not only make it less dense in the first place, but also expand during cooking, making the crust even less dense.

*CITATION NEEDED* on this, definitely, but the consensus in the pizza sperg community is that too short of a rise time also leads to the stomach ache that you described. I AM NOT A SCIENTIST, but the typical explanation is that yeast in the floury dough eats complex carbs, farts out CO2 and and poops simpler, smaller carbs. The "simpler carbs" are easier to digest. The longer you let the dough ferment, the more time the yeast has to eat the complex carbs and poop out simpler ones. To my layperson mind, this makes sense, and is born out by the fact that I can eat 3 of my own 13" pizzas that went through a 3 day rise and feel really loving full, but awesome, instead of wanting to die.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think also probably too much air got knocked out of it because when I was making it into a pizza it kinda got messed up and I had to like roll it back into a ball and start over, so that maybe just got rid of too much of the air that had been created

Problem identified! Yup. You knocked all of the air out. If you do that, it needs to rise again.

As for opening the dough into a round and then letting it rise again, sure. Could be interesting to try to get a super airy crust that way, but better to just fix the original problem first.

4 hours of rising is definitely enough, but up to a point, the longer the better. You mentioned leaving it out all day after a night in the fridge and still being too cold. That seems crazy to me. If I left a dough out for 8+ hours it would be spilling out of the bowl looking like a horror film monster. What temp is your house at? If it's crazy cold, you can kick your oven on for a minute to get a little bit of warmth, then toss the bowl in.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You are going to love it. It makes a HUGE difference for pizzas and breads.

Be aware though that when Yenko says "it'll take a bit to warm up", it means like, 20-30 minutes minimum. If you've got an IR thermometer you can temp it in your own oven after 20 minutes to get an idea, but my 3/8" steel took a solid 35 minutes to come up to oven temp. Cooking in the oven before then, even if the oven itself says that it is preheated, is going to result in some very wonky natural convection around the inside as the steel sucks up heat, the element kicks on constantly, and the hot air convects.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-posting from the dinner thread, since this like, counts as pizza, I'm pretty sure.

I had the day off so, spent the whole day cooking and made whatever you want to call this. Pizzaan? Nazza?

Made a batch of Madhur Jaffrey's naan, then a big batch of palak paneer and chicken tikka masala with thighs. The chicken thighs were grilled about 1 inch over the top of oak wood coals in the oven, which gave the tikka a really intense smokiness that was awesome.

They thickened up enough in the oven that there was no dripping/sliding. It was pretty stable, and I could see this being awesome street food.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Looking great man. Really impressive results. Those crispy edges on the soppresata... So good. Don't be a tease though. Show us those bottoms. :quagmire:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
All good. Those are some great pies, and I'm sure you'll be making plenty more in the future.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hi Pizza thread! Still making pizza in the wood oven about every other week. Constantly getting better.

Incoming photo dump!

Butterflied a leg of lamb, filled with finely chopped lemon zest, rosemary, salt and pepper. Trussed it back up and popped it into the sous vide at 130 for a few hours.

Took it out, skewered it and seared it over the fire to get it browned.

Ended up with a super smokey hit, which was awesome. By itself one of the best things that I have ever made.

Chilled and then sliced thin.

Ended up on a pizza with : Havarti, green olives, frisee dressed with a lemon and cured egg yolk vinaigrette, and shaved parm. Was loving awesome. Smokey, herbacious, rich, bright from the lemon, salty from the olives, nutty from the parm. Highly recommend.

Just a standard but delicious pizza with Calabrese, tomato, dry mozz and fermented chili oil.

Experimental Bananas Foster pizza. Made the sauce by itself, let it cool, used it to sauce the pie, brushed on the bananas then into the oven. Was good, but too soupy. Will use less sauce next time, and instead of just melted ice cream, will make a thicker creme anglaise. Will also precook the bananas a little and then fire in a hotter oven. I cooked it at around 650 so the bananas could cook through, but by that time, the crust had gotten too chewy. It has promise, but needs work.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 12, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks all! I ended up eating that leftover lamb by itself a lot, and then tossed it into a grilled cheese on rye bread, also amazing.

BU, I had similar problems, and while I won't guarantee that it will work the same way for a NY style dough, here's what I do now... 48 hrs total. I batch ferment cold for the first 36 or so, then get up and ball the dough the morning of the day I want to use it. When balling, I actually fold it in on itself probably a dozen times, which tightens it all back up. Back into the fridge until about an hour before I want to use it. By then the gluten has relaxed enough for stretching, but it hasn't loosened up TOO much.

Back when I balled straight after making it, by 2-3 days later, there was no tension left in it, and it would get thin spots and not rise as well.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ogopogo posted:

Memorial Day pizzas!

Margherita about to go in

Margherita

Marinara

House Special - Soppressata and Arugula

Diavola - Calabrian Peppers and Soppressata

Some sexy lookin' pies there! Bein' a little skimpy on the olive oil on that Marinara though. Granted, I like mine basically drowning.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I used this guy before needing to get a longer handle after buying the WFO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0137CVKCY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slid really easily, felt good in the hand.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
^ Sexy looking pies and steak. I dig the blowtorch use. Really great way to accommodate and avoid broken/chewy cheese.

I finally got around to making mozz from scratch successfully. First time I tried, I had homogenized, ultra-pasteurized milk that didn't break at all, and was a complete loss. Got the right milk this time, and it turned out pretty good. Was a little too firm a texture, but melted GREAT and was awesome on the pizzas. I found out the reason for the texture the next day. Turns out under the packing label on the rennet there was a warning that said "This rennet is double concentrated, use half as much as any recipe calls for", so I am betting that the proteins got over-coagulated. Live and learn.

Haven't made pizza in over a month, so my 5 unmolested basil plants went crazy and needed to be trimmed back, so.... Pesto!

Also in the garden, got some really nice Early Girl tomatoes, so tried out a caprese pizza. (not pictured, balsamic reduction). Was really good, but loses a bit of what is special about home grown tomatoes.

Good marinara made with oregano from the garden that I dried. The oregano was actually not as good as the fancy stuff I get from the store, so will stick with that in the future. Doubled the normal amount of garlic. Going to keep doing it in the future.

Used the pesto for a pesto, homemade mozz, and smoked bleu cheese. Good, but not great. Funnily enough, the bleu and the pesto got a little lost in each other. Will probably not repeat.

And I keep going back to my all time favorite. Calabrese, mozz, parm, tomatoes, Ning Chi Extra Hot fermented chili oil. Un-loving-believably good as always.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nice! Definitely let us know how it works out, and post pics! I've seen some crazy great pizzas out of the Blackstone. They've got a tendency to overheat the stone vs temp coming down the from the top. Try it out per normal instructions, but if you end up getting black bottoms, the first thing to try is to heat it up to 700ish, toss a pie on and THEN crank it up to full blast so the top's getting max heat while the stone buffers.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, sure thing. The standard NP dough ratio is more or less:

Makes ~6 x 9oz balls

1000g flour
630g water
25g salt
5g dry active yeast

My method:

Take 100g of your water at room temp, all the yeast and a pinch of flour, mix it in a little cup. Let sit for 15 minutes. This is just to make sure your dry yeast is still alive. It should get frothy on top.

Put the remaining water in your mixer with the dough hook, dump in the flour and salt, then pour the yeasty water over the top. Mix for like 30 seconds until totally combined. Let it it in the mixer for 30 minutes. Then turn the mixer on low, and give it about 10 minutes. If the ball is already looking nice and smooth and elastic, great, you're done! If it needs longer, let it go longer. After it's done needing, take out the dough hook, and cuck the mixer bowl covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2-3 days.

At least 8 hours before you want to make the pizzas, take the dough out, chop off sections that are 9oz each. You can totally add or remove little chunks to hit the 9oz mark. Once you have the dough portioned, do a quick little 20 second knead on each of them, then form into balls. and put onto whatever tray/dough box you are using and put them all back in the fridge. Take them out about 45 minutes before you want to put your first pizza in the oven.

Notes:

The 30 minute sit is not REQUIRED, but it will give you better/faster gluten building.

I live in Texas, and my house stays around 80 degrees inside. If your house is colder, take the dough balls out a little earlier.

You want to avoid your dough going above 85f while making it. It makes the dough way stickier, and kicks the yeast into high gear which you don't want for a cold ferment. Due to the hot house thing, 100g of my water is always actually ice cubes that I melt into the rest of the water to cool it way down and my 30 minute wait is done in the fridge. If your house is cooler than 72ish, don't worry about either.

The above recipe is a 63% hydration dough, which is on the lower end of NP (60-70 is typical). Higher hydration is almost always better, but every % is exponentially more of a pain in the rear end to work with. 63% is still great, but easier to work with. If you get really comfortable and into it, feel free to start upping the hydration.

You can try to scale down the recipe to make fewer than 6 skins, but your mixer may not do a good job kneading with a small batch. You may need to hand knead a smaller batch to get any gluten.

Any questions you have, we are here for you!

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 22, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Individual deli containers will work fine as long as they are big enough. Better than fine actually. You can stagger taking them out, unlike me and my proofing box. My first pizza is always a little cold, and my last is a little blown out.

Yup, About 13" per pie. You can either up the weight by an ounce, or drop the diameter by an inch and a half to do the crazy big crown like Carlo Sammarco, who is hot poo poo in Naples right now.

Example:

And yes, NP pizza making is so strict on tradition, that "make the crust bigger" is all it takes to be newsworthy, and "the bad boy, breaking the rules" of NP pizza.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That dough's looking great.

ogopogo posted:

I'm also working with a sourdough starter in a low-humidity desert environment.

I would love to get into the sourdough starter game, but I unfortunately travel for work a few times a year, up to 3 weeks at a time. I have not yet quite reached the level of obsession that I would take my starter with me, and I am not sure if international customs would look kindly on me trying to carry on what looks like a science experiment.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Huh. The next time I have more than 2 weeks in town is mid-September, then I'll be back home until May. I'll get a starter going then, and hope that it's strong enough by the time I have to go on my next long trip.

Thanks guys!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Great looking pies! You've also gotten an lot of good info from others as well as compliments, so I feel comfortable coming in and being the spergy pedant. A couple of quick things from me:

Bubbles are good. Bubbles so big that they completely char and light on fire, I do not like. When I am opening up a ball, any obvious bubbles bigger than my thumb, I pinch open, empty, then pinch back closed.

Up your tomato game. We did a tomato side by side with something like 15 different brands at once, varying levels of salt, cooked and uncooked. Cento was on the low end of the middle of the spectrum, noted for being super watery. The #1 was unanimous for everyone involved, and is both easily found on Amazon, and very reasonably priced. These bad boys right here. We've also tried about 10 new ones since then and only one brand BARELY beat out the Carmelina's, and they were an only sold in Italy brand that I had to pay a guy to pick up, then ship to me and I spent about $1.90 per ounce for two cans to get to my local post office after two weeks for me to go pickup, all said and done. The Carmelinas are $0.14 per ounce, and arrive on my door in 2 days

The Carmelina tomatoes are way less watery than Cento, and you should be using less than what's on the second pie, but you may still want to strain them a little. Cheesecloth/nut milk bags are amazing for separating out just tomato water, but if you've got a very fine mesh strainer, that can work. I'm a huge sperg, so I typically strain out WAY more water than necessary, then mix back in the water until I get my preferred consistency.

NP pie bottoms should be soft and pliable, but not soggy/doughy. Take a look at the "soggy" parts. If they are not at all browned on the bottom of those parts, it's because they aren't making contact with the stone. Very often, the dough will form a good enough seal around the outside, that steam coming off the bottom will push up on thinner parts. Think water pooling in spots on a flat roof, just upside down. This is easily fixed. Just wait about 10 seconds after launching the pizza onto the stone, then carefully run your turning peel under it on all sides. This separates the dough clinging to the stone (before it would normally release due to cooking/drying). This will allow the steam to escape the sides, and you won't have bits of the crust floating on steam. (getting better at opening the dough into very consistent thickness also helps, as you don't get those weaker thinner spots).

You're cheese is a little overcooked, but not terribly so. Use fewer, thicker pieces, and keep them cold up to the point that they go on the pie. When the rest of the pizza is done, it may look like the cheese is not fully melted through. That's fine, unless you put GIANT chunks on there, they will melt with the residual heat of the pizza prior to eating.

Don't pull six balls out at once unless you are doing nothing but making those pizzas while someone else cooks and eats them. If you want to make six in one go, at least separate into groups of three, and stagger taking them out by about 20 minutes.

Reinforcing the "I was trying to just crank them out one after the other like I was feeding a small army, when I really should have taken my time and let the grill heat up or cool down as needed so we could wait for the next one to start cooking." Yup. You will get to know your oven better, and check the temp of the stone before every pie. You will start to see what the temp needs to be for the perfect pie. Too hot from leaving it on full blast between pies, launching another pie too soon, before the stone has had a chance to come up to temp after the last pie, etc... Every variable is important to the final product. The good news is, even "not perfect" pies are loving delicious!

All of the above being said, those look CRAZY good for how early into this you are, and I would totally chow down on both of them. My first few batches of pies were tepid and bland looking by comparison, so you should be super loving proud of yourself and your oven.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 27, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, I ordered the Italian sourdough starter kits from Ed Wood,and started up the Ischia.

After 24 hours, it was already going crazy, which is great, but just to be sure, it's supposed to smell like a slightly less bad sour milk, right? Like, it's not a completely offensive smell, but it's definitely not a GOOD smell.

I assume that this is totally normal, and when combined as like 10% of a dough, then baked, it will taste like the sourdough that I'm used to.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'd say right after balling. When you want to use one, put it in the fridge for 8ish hours, then pull it out maybe like 90 minutes before. Play around with it and let us know how it goes, I'd be really interested to see your results.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nope. That's how I used to do it every time. Comes out really well. I switched over to balling after 2-3 days cold batch fermenting, on the day of use though. I find the gluten to be less relaxed that way, so I get a little better rise in the oven.

If it's more convenient for you to ball, then ferment for a couple days though, go for it. It'll still be great.

Edit: Just try to get the balls formed and back in the fridge in a reasonable amount of time. You don't want the dough to warm up enough that the yeast kicks back into high gear, does its second rise already, and is blown by the time you pull it out and let it come up to temp to use.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 18, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That's super awesome, and I am super jealous. If I were planning on being in my current house for more than another 2-3 years, I would have built myself one.

Please post pics once it's cured and you can make some pies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

snyprmag posted:

Got a baking steel and it rules.

the crust is this recipe with the sugar cut back to 1 tbsp and given more time to ferment in the fridge (other plans came up sunday night so it turned into monday's dinner). I need to make the 72 hr dough baking steel talks about on their blog, but been able to plan ahead well enough for that.

Great looking pie. Was planning on having India food for dinner. Not anymore. Pizza it is!

ShaneB posted:

I hate the pizza steel dough recipe. Way too wet. Use the Pizza Bible base recipe, it's far better IMO.

No such thing as too wet! (Pizza Bible recipe is great too)