Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't know a lot, but I do know that the pies I pulled out of my oven today were just as good as pizzas I get from anywhere I've ever had a slice.

What I've found so far is: 1) the crust is super important to get right and 2) less is more when it comes to toppings.

Today, I did a pizza dough that was raised overnight in the fridge. I found this to be a lot more workable when trying for that really thin pie, as well as having much more flavor.

4 1/2 cups (20.25 ounces) unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour, chilled
1 3/4 (.44 ounce) teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast
1/4 cup (2 ounces) olive oil (optional)
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) water, ice cold (40°F)
Semolina flour

Toss the dry in a bowl, slowly add the cold water and olive oil into the dry ingredients and mix with your fingers. Keep mixing and rotating the bowl until the dough comes away from the sides, but still sticks to the bottom. 5-7 minutes or so should do it.

It should be smooth, elastic, and sticky. Set into an oiled bowl and oil the top as well. Cover with plastic and set in the fridge to rest overnight.

Cut your dough into the sizes you want. Gently press the dough into flat disks about 1/2 inch thick and 5 inches in diameter. Sprinkle the dough with flour, mist it again with spray oil, and cover the dough loosely with plastic. Let rest for 2 hours.

Set your oven as high as it goes, and preheat for at least 45 minutes.

Generously dust a peel or the back of a sheet pan with semolina flour or cornmeal. Make the pizzas one at a time. Dip your hands, including the backs of your hands and knuckles, in flour and lift I piece of dough by getting under it with a pastry scraper. Very gently lay the dough across your fists and carefully stretch it by bouncing the dough in a circular motion on your hands, carefully giving it a little stretch with each bounce. If it begins to stick to your hands, lay it down on the floured counter and reflour your hands, then continue shaping it.

Once the dough has expanded outward, move to a full toss. If you have trouble tossing the dough, or if the dough keeps springing back, let it rest for 5 to 20 minutes so the gluten can relax, and try again. You can also resort to using a rolling pin, though this isn't as effective as tossing.

Set onto a peel dusted with semolina or regular flour and top as desired. I added sauce, pressed mozzarella, sausage, and onions on this.

Slide the pizza onto the stone (or bake directly on the sheet pan) and close the door. Wait 2 minutes, then take a peek. If it needs to be rotated 180 degrees for even baking, do so. The pizza should take about 8 minutes to bake.

This is what I got.

Crumb shot. Nice and thin.

One more. Bulgogi, onion and sriracha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother with trying to use flour any more to keep the pizza from sticking to the peel/prep surface/stone - I just use parchment paper instead, throw the already formed crust on it, top it, slide onto peel, and then cook. I haven't noticed any difference in quality, but holy poo poo is it easier to deal with (and it makes a lot less mess!)

I've had the opposite experience. A good dusting of semolina on the peel works a lot better for me than parchment.

Sjurygg posted:

Bulgogi pizza :psyboom:

It was amazing. I need to do this more often with leftover bulgogi.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Unglazed, I believe.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love having a peel. It makes things a lot quicker, imo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I pizza'd again. Sausage, onion, green pepper this time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What kind of cheese, though?

Pressed mozz pre-bake, microplaned parm post

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I honestly thought the cast iron pan was still under the pizza in the thumbnailed photo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

What's the largest batch of dough I can make out of one package of dry yeast? And do you have any tips or tricks when it comes to portioning and freezing the dough? I ask because I love making pizzas but hate making the dough in my tiny kitchen, so making as much as I can at once would be ideal for me.

If you have time, you can do a shitload of dough with a packet of yeast. I make 4-6 8-10" rounds from my recipe, and I use uhhh I think 1tsp of yeast.

Also, if you make a starter with said packet of yeast and keep some going, you can pretty much have dough indefinitely as long as you keep feeding it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

pim01 posted:

I've got a really stupid question on this - do I freeze the dough immediately after kneading, or after letting it rise? I sort of suspect the cold will kill off the yeast so I should store after rising but have no idea if that's actually right.

Either works, really.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

I see some dough recipes calling for warm water, and some for cold water. Does the difference lead to difference in the final dough product? Or is it just preference?

Depends on what kind of dough you're making. Warm water is essential if you're doing a fairly quick rise in order to activate the yeast quickly. It really doesn't matter, I don't think if oyu're doing an overnight rise in the fridge.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

JS Online sucks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

Why does the Batali pizza dough recipe from the first page use so much more yeast than the other recipes I've seen, including the one in the OP, or the ones at Crepes of Wrath?

Compared to:

Is the bread yeast Batali uses different from the Fleishmann's ActiveDry yeast I can get at the grocery store? What's the difference?

It's because my recipe is something you let ferment overnight in the fridge. The longer you let a dough rise, the less yeast you need to do so.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Moey posted:

Is that an egg?

gently caress yeah, eggs on pizz own

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sacrilage posted:

Less shirt; in this very specific case, I feel that you cannot adequately cook pizza with a shirt.

Otherwise, looks perfect.

Wow. :ughh:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sup nerds

Kenij's Detroit Style pizza

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong anymore. I really really want to learn how to shape pizza dough by hand to 14+ inches with a proper crust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you shaping and resting and shaping again?

Otherwise if it's springing back right away, your dough may be too cold or it wasn't proofed long enough. Or lots of other things. doughs are finicky.

Without being able to touch it myself, it looks like it was underkneaded and/or proofed imo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hey I forgot all about this thread. Tried doing a sourdough neapolitan style for the first time, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Margarita

Prime rib, caramelized onion and mushroom, and gruyere

Apple, kalamata, and half goat cheese, half triple cream

Spicy salami

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Malefitz posted:

Your Pizzas look great!
How would you describe the taste compared to a traditional Neapolitanian Pizza?

I just recently started getting into sourdough baking. Could you give the recipe you used?
I only have a rye sourdough right now but plan to start a wheat one too as soon as I have a bit more experience.

I also made Pizza yesterday but was so greedy I ate it before taking pictures :shrug:
I think I took it out if the fridge too early though as it was a bit flat in the end.

This is the recipe I used. I like almost all of his recipes, in fact. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in flavor. My starter (and these recipes) are not using super ripe sour starter. It is a fantastic crust though, and is really easy to work with and shape.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kenji's NY style dough w/ pepperoni, pineapple, onion, and pickled jalapeno.

I need to get a peel so I can do larger pies. This is def a lot thicker than I prefer, it would be just about right w/ a 16" pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

If you have never smashburged on a steel, it is the most perfect possible surface for it

:hai: