Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This seems like the place to ask:

I want to get a pizza stone on the cheap, and I've heard that you can use quarry tiles, readily available from most home improvement stores. My concern is that I have heard the term "glazed" for these tiles and I can't remember if for pizza stone purposes if they should be glazed or non-glazed. Help, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

But if you concentrate on making a better pizza sauce, your pizza will be better then too?? :confused:

My recipe: Plop a 28 oz can of whole peeled roma tomatoes into a bowl or other vessel conducive to immersion blending. If the liquid is thin, just leave it out for now. Add a squirt of honey or a pinch of sugar, a couple minced garlic cloves, some red pepper flakes, lots of dried oregano and a little basil if you want, plus salt. Puree to desired consistency with immersion blender (I like a little texture). If it looks a little weak, add some tomato paste. Or, strain in a mesh sieve. If it's too thick, add some of the liquid that was in the can. Sauces 2 14-inch pizzas generously.

My recipe is very similar, but I like it on the chunky side, so I use a can of crushed tomatoes, no blending, but simmered for a while to concentrate into a sauce.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I prefer an uncooked sauce. But using crushed tomatoes as opposed to whole, and then cooking on top of it, would seem to create the opposite of a chunky sauce? Why not use whole and hand crush for a better texture, especially if you're going to be cooking it which breaks the tomatoes down even more?

I phrased myself poorly. I meant that I like it chunkier than a blended sauce, but more of a suace than simply hand crushed tomatoes offer, hence cooking down the extra liquid. So I guess a "sauce" with medium-small chunks of tomato. Perhaps I'm picky...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I come here today with a trip report of the worst pizza I have ever created.

Let me start off by stating that I thought this recipe was doomed from the start, and I only went ahead with this because the wife insisted. She's dead to me now.

The recipe was for a Bratwurst pizza with a mustard pretzel crust

Crust was fairly standard except for the addition of crumbled mustard pretzel pieces. - OK. Whatever.

Cheese was caraway muenster - Unusual, but goes with the other ingredients

Here's where it falls apart:
"Sauce" was a combination of cream cheese and dijon mustard (yuck) and the abomination was topped with undercooked (per directions) bratwurst disks and crumbled pretzel pieces. The idae being that the bratwurst finishes cooking during the baking.

Probably the single worst thing I've created in the past 7-8 years.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

angerbeet posted:

If CzarChasm will provide the recipe, I don't see why we couldn't perfect the perfect Bratwurst pizza with a mustard pretzel crust.

Here's the recipe. Also found Here: http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/brats-are-a-tasty-milwaukee-tradition-np3k12c-136598123.html

Looked like the picture in the article, but the crust was yellower (due to the mustard pretzel bits) and the bratwurst was cut thicker. I will also admit to halving this recipe (better to have half a recipe of good food than a full sized version of sucky food)

Dough
1 ½ cups room-temperature water
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus ½ teaspoon oil to coat dough (divided)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup fine semolina flour
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups mustard-onion pretzels bits, ground fine in food processor

In a large bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook, combine water, yeast and 1/3 cup oil. Run on low speed 30 seconds to mix. Let stand 5 minutes.

In another bowl, mix the salt, flours and the 1½ cups ground pretzels together and add to the bowl. Mix 10 to 12 minutes on low to medium speed, stopping the machine and pushing the dough off the hook every 4 minutes.

Shape dough into a ball and place in a larger bowl with the remaining ½ teaspoon oil and turn dough to coat completely. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rest in a warm spot (80 to 85 degrees) 2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch down dough and divide into 4 rounds. Place pieces on plastic wrap and cover with a towel and let rise again. This will take about 1 hour. Or, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Dough can be refrigerated up to 12 hours. (You can refrigerate it longer, but dough texture will change a bit.)

Pretzel Sausage Pizza with Wisconsin Caraway Muenster
Makes four (12-inch) pizzas
Dough (see recipe)

1 ½ cups (12 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup Dijon mustard
¾ pound fresh bratwurst, grilled 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly pink, cooled and cut into ¼-inch slices
¾ pound good-quality Wisconsin caraway Muenster cheese (or caraway brick), grated
1 cup mustard onion pretzel bits, chopped into about ½-inch pieces

Prepare dough. Set aside.

When ready to make pizzas, preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using a pizza stone, place in oven to preheat.

In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and mustard.

Roll pizza dough into four (12-inch) rounds that are each about ¼ inch thick. Place on preheated pizza stone or a lightly oiled sheet tray and bake in preheated oven 4 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

Remove crusts from oven and spread with a layer of the cream cheese mixture. Divide bratwurst slices and grated cheese over the top. Return to oven and bake 3 to 4 minutes until cheese is melted and crusts are golden. During the last two minutes, sprinkle with pretzel bits, then remove from oven and serve.

EDIT: VVVVVVV Noted.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

I've been away from pizza making for quite some time. I think the last few times I tried I had a bitch of a time getting it from the peel to the stone. It would literally be sticky and I had to scrape it off despite using cornmeal and a bunch of flour. So I'm about to jump back in, and I noticed there were people using parchment paper to avoid this, and I was wondering if a silicone cookie sheet be a viable option?

I don't think a silicone sheet would work particularly well. Natuarally, it depends on the size and style, but I think it probably won't brown the way you want it to. Also, silicone mats have a certain temperature threshold that's good for general baking (EDIT: OK. A general sipat goes to 480, but that will depend on manufacturer.), but that might be a little low for pizza making.