Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Gwaihir posted:

Steel essentially both stores way more heat, and moves that heat from itself in to a lump of dough you put on top of it much much faster than a stone does. You might be able to touch a hot stone for a half second without getting burned, but touching a 500 degree steel will almost certainly leave you blistered.

I would suggest a 3/8" thick piece, as anything over that will rapidly grow far too unwieldly to deal with and not offer a lot of benefit if you aren't doing many pies back to back to back.

I've used mine for breads, too- It is killer at imitating a tandoor for naan, or making pita breads puff up wonderfully:

In general the rule of thumb for the steel is just, anything you cook on it, with parchment or no, will end up a good bit more crisp on the bottom than it would otherwise using just a sheet pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxEqB_PsxY

Recently got into making pitta bread, this was one of the first attempts. I just make the dough in the stand mixer and then keep it in the fridge til I need it, super easy. The same dough works if we want pizza, too.

bonus easter bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Here is some (strong flour + wholegrain spelt) bread dough, a rough tomato sauce and some mozzerella with mint and lemon. I tried the pressing and stretching thing on it that you guys were talking about and it seemed to work ok!

It was delicious.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Slow simmered tomato sauce starting from tinned tomatoes, or a white roux sauce.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Decided to try making a thicker pizza today, instead of like 3 thin ones.

Came out pretty good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I tried a 75% hydration dough and the stretching video from the bread thread. Is it possible to make pizza too thin?

(It was delicious and extremely good, just a little cheese and oregano on it, and a little tomato thrown on afterwards)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I use the same recipe for pita bread and pizza dough sometimes, could be fine!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The Guardian one is good.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jul/13/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pitta-bread

Pizza dough for me atm is 150g spelt, 350g bread flour, 10g salt and sugar and olive oil, 5-7g yeast. I've been doing around 70% hydration but I think it's a little much, and the dough gets too thin. I can get 4 pizzas out of that though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Random Hero posted:

Never thought about adding spelt to pizza dough, but I like it in my sourdough. How pronounced is the flavor in this recipe?

I'm not sure because I've never made it without it, but it is noticable, and I think better for it. I think more would be too much though, and I do use wholemeal.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I just use kitchen scissors.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Hey at least it'll be warm!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Was the starter itself actually doing anything before you put it into the pizza? Have you been feeding it, does it bubble up?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

A big, lidded glass jar for keeping pre-balled dough in the fridge and a decent pair of scissors is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

We had this issue in the Bread thread. Have you tried getting somebody else to open the packet for you so your own personal curse doesn't affect it?