Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I made Kenji’s no knead garlic focaccia yesterday/today, which is essentially the pan pizza dough with some roasted garlic. While the bread came out fantastic, all I can think about is how much better it will be when I make the full pan pizza experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

wormil posted:

I have little to no experience with dough making, what's a tasty beginner dough recipe? One in the OP? Should I just follow some youtubes ? I want to start down the path of pizza enlightenment.

I did the serious eats pan pizza recipe last weekend and my wife and I quite enjoyed the results. My only problem was initially underestimating the amount of flour to use when handling the dough and getting it into the cast irons, but that was an easy fix. Super easy and low effort way to make a solid pizza.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

All these goons makin pizza is not helping my urge to get a pizza oven.

When I do, I’m definitely going to buy or make my own habanero honey to drizzle on top. The spice and sweetness takes a normal pizza over the top based on my experiences at restaurants.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dude you gotta warn me before you seduce my eyeballs and stomach that hard

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogopogo posted:

A sourdough ball the morning after a pizza night.

Where’s the ring?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Goons with portable/tabletop pizza ovens: how fast do they go through propane tanks? Kenji’s recent video is pushing me towards making the plunge, but a 45 minute preheat seems like it’d empty a tank fairly fast.

https://youtu.be/WDK762aVaMI

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

South German pizza (flammkuchen) is good as hell. Cracker thin crust topped with creme fraiche, onions, and bacon. Cooks in 90 seconds in big ovens. Like any pizza, it goes well with booze.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Torta de italia

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogopogo posted:

Another weekend of pizza making done, sent out 80 pies over two days! Here are a few that we sold, and a few we kept for ourselves..

The cast iron R&D continues. Still working out a proper proof in the pan, but it's getting there.

We put up our Elote pizza again and it went like gangbusters!

Couldn't help but offer Flamin' Hot Cheetos as a topping...

And finally, a simple tomato, garlic, and burrata pie. Simplicity at its best!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

My grocery store had small wood-fired Ooni’s for $250 this past weekend. If they’re still there this coming weekend I think I’ll have to take the plunge.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

How much of an abomination would I create if I tried cooking pizza in a Bundt pan?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

How is Alessi? I’ve got a can of their San marzanos sitting around until pizza inspiration strikes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That’s a Pixar mom pizza if I’ve ever seen one.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogopogo posted:

Summer corn is here so that means we bust out the Elote pizza!

Garlic oil, cotija cheese, parm, woodfired corn, spicy mayo, more cotija, Tajin, cilantro and a lime wedge - and we do one with crushed up Flamin' Hot Cheetos for the true purists.

Jurassic Park dinosaur reaction.gif but instead of dinosaurs it’s me seeing this pizza

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Having attended a fair share of weddings (pre-COVID), a pizza oven and crew who can sling pies is the best wedding food. Going from my buddy’s wedding where the team cooked pies all night and brought fresh ones to the dance floor to drunker and drunker applause to a bog standard chicken/beef/veggies buffet line was a major bummer.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s the best chain pizza?

I’m all about pan pizza now so for me it’s Jet’s followed by dominos. These also happen to be the only reliable delivery options near me, so there’s some conveniency bias involved.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks amazing, and way lighter than the Detroit pizza chain I frequent. I could still go do things after eating yours.

It’s a cruel world that good pizza dough takes so long to ferment and yet gets eaten so quickly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This page of the thread has some excellent looking pizzas in a variety of styles. You love to see it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“Why are you making all that racket, honey?

I have to hoot and holler, dear, ogopogo is popping off in the pizza thread again.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

super cool. I think I found you guys on instagram. And speaking of instagram, anyone know of good pizza-making-centric accounts to follow?

You could follow Joe Rosenthal for a wild mix of pizza content, hoagie content, impropriety by figures in food/fashion media, railing against antisemitism, and much more. All posted with full energy and an aggressively antagonistic style.

His NY pizza recipe does look good though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogarza posted:

For neapolitan mine is mozz, sopressata, habanero, a bit of olive oil, and basil... then honey after it comes out of the oven.

There’s a neapolitan chain in DFW that’s all those ingredients plus an added bacon marmalade. Excellent pie.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Holy poo poo

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have a good tavern pie recipe they’d recommend? My kid is all in on the thin crispy crust right now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thank you. I don’t have a food processor - could I chunk everything in a mixer with dough hook and get an okay result? I guess that’s the siren song of experimentation or buying new gadgets singing to me.

The hardest thing about pizza is preheating an oven for an hour+ for a ~10 min cook time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Good lord

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think you’d get great traction by telling the staff “nice place but the pies sure are something awful huh”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

As my kid’s favorite pizza, I gotta say the dominos’ thin crust cheese hits above its price point.