Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finished off the AP flour I had for roux and such. The dough made with that was unsuprisingly not very strong when stretching which I'm not great at to begin with. Is there any point in going out of my way for something like Caputo? I'm already tempted to put in a pennmac order for decent low moisture mozzarella and pepperoni since the local options are just store brand skim and Hormel :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Piggy Smalls posted:

Wow, disheartened is how I feel. I made the pizza dough in the OP and let it rest over night. Then the trouble began:

1) Sticky mess. Put flour on my hands, tried to knead the dough into a flat disk and it would stick to everything. Added more flour and felt that I was changing the composition of the pizza dough since I was introducing too much flour to the dough.

2) Frustration mounts as now the Dough begins to literally rip as I try to knead it. Perhaps too much flour?

3) Ok, great idea, a rolling pin. Let me pretend I'm making tortillas. I roll the dough and it looks absolutely beautiful. Omg, is it actually working? Nope, the drat dough has now stuck to the mat I was rolling it on.

4) Screw it, place it on the wood peel with semolina flour and it rolls beautifully on the pizza stone.

5) Finish cooking and notice as I bite into it that the thicker layers of cooked dough don't appear to be quite cooked.

6) Help pizza goons. My dough is way too sticky but don't know what to do and I'm sure it has to be slightly sticky so fixing the sticky part will probably not work anyways.

The dough in the OP is just over 69% hydration which is a bit on the higher end, though is probably still workable with enough dusting. If you're against aggressive dusting, and don't mind altering the characteristics of the formula, try going down to maybe about 65% hydration (~13.2 oz water) and see if that helps. It's generally easier to work with lower hydration doughs as they are less sticky. If you are familiar with The Bread Baker's Apprentice 65% also happens to be the threshold Reinhart uses to separate standard and rustic. It's also the effective hydration of the dough for pizza napoletana in The Pizza Bible.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 27, 2018

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How do you get the crust so shiny and crispy-looking like that? Lot of oil in the dough? Or on the pan?

Oil in the pan. The goal is basically to fry the bottom of the crust.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The mozzerella I got off of penn mac is so much better than what I am able to get locally. Good thing I got a bunch of it.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think King Arthur Sir Lancelot is around the same protein percent range as All Trumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'd say it's doable, but I've attempted to do the creaming method by hand (not recommended) so my threshold on viability might be a bit skewed.